Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
StookEB

Default Bad Panel Beaters

After a big hale storm about six months ago my parents BAmk1 XR6 was damaged pretty heavily causing it to be resprayed. The workshop who did this put to many layers of paint on and caused it to turn out darker. the two-tone metallic effect does not apply now and looks absolutely crap, well to a person who knows what there looking at anyway. The insurance assessor looked at the car and told us that it wouldnt get any better and so would not get them to do it again. Some other mistakes they made are scratching the steering wheel and putting grease marks over the interior roof when they put the roof back in. Those small mistakes they fixed but another problem we found is that one of the rims looks like it has been run up the gutter and caused a dint on the outside, i'm told that it can be fixed is this true.

It can not be seen in the picture properly but it's a significant dent, which runs all the way across the rim. sorry for the dirt and size of picture.

StookEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 12:28 AM   #2
OzButcher
Silky

Is it a dent? I can only see a chipped edge on your mag there. If its the chipped mag it can be repaired.

There's a guy in WA called Mr Mags that repairs them... I'm not sure that he's the best coz I had my mags repaired before I bought the car from a dealer and although he fixed up all the chipped mags... he either forgot to respray a clear over his work or used some cheap *** acrylic crap clear.

As far as panel beaters go... you get some good ones you get some bad ones. But I don't see why the paint can't be looking like new again. I had 10k worth of frontage damage on mine and the colour and respray were nrealy perfect! I did take it back a 2nd time when I noticed the clear had some fish eyes in a small section where the paint was faded out. Although there's a few minor things I'd pick... like a very ever slight bonnet and panel alignment overall its good.

I reckon take it to another pannel beater and see if they reckon they could do a better job? If they say yes you got something to argue about against the other guys.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
StookEB

Even though it can't be seen the dint is there, one of them must of hit something hard because it runs all the way across the rim.
We pushed the insurance company to respray it but they wouldn't so that's the way it going to have to stay.
StookEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
OzButcher
Silky

You can always try Fair Trading.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

how good of a job is it when you repair a wheel... like it won't look good will it? i was reversing in my driveway today and i scraped the gutter and took a chip out of the rim :( ... might just buy a new one it is the el-gt aftermarket ones....
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 01:28 AM   #6
OzButcher
Silky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
how good of a job is it when you repair a wheel... like it won't look good will it? i was reversing in my driveway today and i scraped the gutter and took a chip out of the rim :( ... might just buy a new one it is the el-gt aftermarket ones....
It can be made to look like new again. The guys that did my mags nearly did 100% of a job... they filled up all the chipped away places... (I cant even tell where they were chipped) then they resprayed the mags in the same matching silver but silly just didnt finish it off with a nice clear. I was thinking of respraying mine again myself... pretty easy to do.