Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Default Moving to brissy

Hi guys

I would be moving to brissy early june. I would surely miss melbourne and you melbourne guys ( although I havent met anyone in person).

A question to guys n gals in bris (dunno if I can ask this in this forum but I havent got anyone in brisbane to give me an idea). Which area/suburb shud I look to live in? My work is in Wacol but I'll be travelling a lot all over queensland. My gf looks to work in the airport. I drove around the city last week but cudnt an idea. I kinda liked indooroopilly though. Any ideas?

3 door, Panther Black, Manual, 17" MP3 Alloys, SVT Airbox with K&N panel filter, SVT Snorkel, Leather Gear Knob and Steel Handbrake Cover, ST170 pedals, ST170 Lower grille, CFM UDP

Not too soon : Focus sport/Borla Exhaust, Throttle body

1lifeliveit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Samboh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Greenbank lol nah dats where I love and wuld be cool to see some more focus's around, indooroopilly isnt a bad place actually but wat type of house prices you looking around?
Samboh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #3
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well, around Holland Park, Mt Gravatt, Greenslopes. Camp Hill, Carindale area would be central for you both. They are reasonable areas as well.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
BrisVegas
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lifeliveit
A question to guys n gals in bris (dunno if I can ask this in this forum but I havent got anyone in brisbane to give me an idea). Which area/suburb shud I look to live in? My work is in Wacol but I'll be travelling a lot all over queensland. My gf looks to work in the airport. I drove around the city last week but cudnt an idea. I kinda liked indooroopilly though. Any ideas?
I live out near Wacol and I can assure you the traffic is shocking during peak hours. There are 150,000+ people in the Springfield and Ipswich satellite cities who commute via the Western Freeway and Ipswich Motorway each day. I catch the train (30 mins from Wacol station) as the drive is now up to an hour for <30kms.

If your gf works at the airport, I'd consider the suburbs from New Farm out to Clayfield, Nundah, Northgate etc., ie. inner eastern suburbs between the CBD and airport. New Farm is flash and expensive, but it's the place to be. Nundah and Northgate are pretty affordable. You don't want to have to use the Gateway Motorway to get to work, as there is an accident there everyday it seems.

I've lived in Nundah and it's a great spot. 15-20 mins to the city via train and very handy to the Gateway motorway etc.. If you're travelling out to Wacol, then you'd be doing a reverse commute at least. Plus, when you travel around the state, you're handy to the airport. Another option is the sleepy suburb of Sandgate. It's on the bay, and is still pretty close to the airport and motorway etc, but it's min. 500k for an old queenslander style house.

To the west of the CBD, Indooroopilly is not bad, but busy. It gets clogged with traffic, but it has the train line and shopping centre etc. St Lucia and Taringa are nice too, but quite expensive and still pretty crowded. St Lucia at least offers the City Cat service.

In summary, not knowing your budget... I'd vote Nundah!
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Quote:
Hi guys

I would be moving to brissy early june. I would surely miss melbourne and you melbourne guys ( although I havent met anyone in person).

Bring lotsa water!!!!!!!!
Linz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #6
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Thanks for all the responses guys...much appreciated

Budget?....around 270-300 pw. Houses, units aprtments doesnt matter. Im planning to buy soon....so it wud be just for a year I think.

3 door, Panther Black, Manual, 17" MP3 Alloys, SVT Airbox with K&N panel filter, SVT Snorkel, Leather Gear Knob and Steel Handbrake Cover, ST170 pedals, ST170 Lower grille, CFM UDP

Old 10-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Quote:
Originally Posted by linz
Bring lotsa water!!!!!!!!
Coming from Melbourne Im a bit short changed :

Old 10-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #8
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I live @ Geebung, which borders on Virginia, northgate, Chermside (Big shopping centre for your GF!!!!(SORRY!))

I work over the other side of the river (Tingalpa) and travel the gateway each day.

If your work hours are shift hours (7am or earlier start) You wont have too many troubles travelling from the inner north to Wacol against the traffic each morning and back each afternoon. But if you start too much later you will get insane traffic getting to the city. Dont discount living close to Wacol, and letting your GF catch the airport train each day... Its probably cheaper than owning a 2nd car, and there might be employee discounts (On the train). Another good part about living on the Northside, is that there are plenty of shortcuts around, if one road is blocked, you can find an alternative pretty quickly... GPS would be VERY handy for that...

Anyway, wish you luck...
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 05:58 AM   #9
FRA
Mr Focus

I am working out near Wacol @ the moment and the traffic start to get little bit busy around 5.30am
The traffic on the gateway is full on by 6.30am
All the best.
I better go to work, going to late...hahaha Please no sat work
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 06:27 AM   #10
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

I'm at Nundah, working in South Brisbane, never have too much drama with traffic

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #11
kcbworth

I'm in Mt Gravatt which is very central to Wacol / Airport, but it's true that the traffic between here and there is pretty abysmal. To be honest I can't really see any suburbs that sit between the 2 locations you're looking at that won't get caught up in traffic. I reckon ur options are:

1. Mt Gravatt / Holland Park / Mansfield (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...isbane+airport) - Pretty much the same time in peak hours to both locations.
2. Indooroopilly / Graceville (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...isbane+airport) - Probably quicker to Wacol but longer to Airport (North side roads in peak hour are useless).
3. Springwood / Underwood (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...UTF8&z=11&om=1) - not really close to either but possibly a clearer run in.

They'd be your most central locations. If you want best areas of brisbane I'd go:

1. Carindale
2. Graceville
3. New Farm
4. Indooroopilly
5. Upper Mt Gravatt / 8 Mile Plains

Or something like that.
kcbworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #12
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbworth
North side roads in peak hour are useless
That all depends on what time and what road, and as I mentioned, the Northside has a lot of different routes that can be taken, given the fact it doesnt have a big *** Freeway running right through the middle of it.

The biggest factor is his starting time @ Wacol. If he works "Office" hours then it would be better for him to live closer. If its "Shift" or "Trade" hours then it may be ok for him to drive further, to give his GF a better chance at getting to work in a timely fashion. Getting over the Gateway in Peak hour heading towards the airport is NOT Fun. I often see it banked back 2-3km from the the bridge ALL the way to The Airport Turn off. (About 6 or so KM in Total)

Anyway, it shouldnt be an argument about which side of town is better, each side has its pros and cons. (biggest con for me is i live 2.72km from my in laws!!!!)
Ciao...
Old 11-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #13
Mikey B
Frozen White Focus RS

Quote:
Hi guys

I work for Volvo/Mack Trucks in Wacol and live in Springfield Lakes...takes me 10 mins to work...no probs with traffic at all! Also, we are renting, 295 for 4 bed plus study on largish plot. Brand new 'burb' next to Orion Shopping centre and Brookwater Golf course. Not 3 bad!! Also a nice bar recently opened in Sp.Lakes....walk for beer, stagger home for bed...Noice...Noice!

Good luck with the move...

Mike

P.s..Who you working for in Wacol?
Mikey B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #14
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Wow thanks guys....honestly didnt expect this many replies. Im starting at 7 am and go till 4-5 pm. I guess morning runs shudnt be a big prob. My gf might work shifts ranging from 5.30am - 8pm.

My manager says its getting hard to find a rental home in brissy. So I guess I have to be very flexible.

Mikey Im gonna work for RCR Engineering in Wacol. Wud be nice to catch up sometime when Im there. Starting 4th june. Ill give u a private msg.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #15
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Get some more cruises going guys!!!!! Good luck with the move.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:14 AM   #16
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Yeah we will soon Zetec, this might be a good time for another 1 when 1lifeliveit moves up here.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Old 12-05-2007, 09:24 PM   #17
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec

There are a few good roads around Matt, nothing as exciting as the G.O.R. But, we still have a few roads which are good cruising roads, and good destinations....

One day I will need to participate in these...
Old 12-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #18
FRA
Mr Focus

I take it your not coming along next sunday AFF BBQ?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #19
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably not... Unfortunately, Its been a while since we have had a family weekend. Had 3 weeks in adelaide, then my sisters wedding, then my sons birthday, and tomorrow mothers day, So im figuring I had better stay put for the day. But I was still thinking of trying to come along, even if for a while to visit.

Will have to see how the weekend pans out.