Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
hallow
Starter Motor

Default Exaust and dash lcd

Firstly does anyone know if the fuel consumption is just an estimate from a table of rpm values or is there actually a flow meter on the fuel line.

And I have an 06 Focus which has an oval sports muffler on it but you still can't really hear it only when you floor it and it gets around mid rpms at which it can still be hard to hear over the sound of the engine itself. What would I have to do to get it more audible?

hallow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
BlackLS

There is a fuel flow read out. Hold down the trip button as you start the car and keep holding it in until you see TEST on the screen. Press the trip button until you see one of the values that goes from 0-200 whilst idling. Thats most likely the fuel flow.

That fuel flow i believe is determined from Throttle opening, load and RPM because if your coasting in gear it still shows 2.something of consumption when it should be 0.

With the noise, I'd look at removing the second airbox from the engine bay, or at least cutting the pipe from it to the first airbox (the airbox with the filter). You get a nice intake growl. Apart from that have a look under your car and see what aftermarket exhaust components they put in. If its the standard system with a louder rear muffler, removing the middle muffler should do some good.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
hallow
Starter Motor

There is no rear muffler just the stainless oval one in the middle with the pipe going out to the back.

I was expecting more sound then there is being only the one straight-through muffler. Especially after test driving one at a dealer and hearing that the engine actually makes some noise.

What about places like SMB or Hi-Tech Mufflers, they do full stainless catbacks for 800 - 900 (seems a bit pricey) would they make it sound much better?

No point spending much more on the exhaust if its just gonna be more of the same.
Old 21-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
hallow
Starter Motor

Oops forgot the fuel readout.

Looking at alot of yanky sites they all seem to think modern cars get the fuel readout by measuring the injectors ontime and using that with the distance traveled. Just trying to find out if it is done by some actual measurement of the fuel (such as injectors on) or if its just all estimated from tables of data in the computer. Cos i'm wondering if you'd be able to test different fuels for their performance since but if it's just using tables to generate the approximate usage then the figure would be the same no matter which fuel is used.
Old 21-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
hallow
Starter Motor

Actually the muffler is more like 1/4 from the end and there may be a 2nd one that I couldn't see. Thought it was just piping but looking at it from the other side you can see it's about 2.5x as round and is a long maybe 70cm long or something up in the middle.

I'm guessing thats another muffler and not an XXL cat... lol.
Old 21-05-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
Penko13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
Actually the muffler is more like 1/4 from the end and there may be a 2nd one that I couldn't see. Thought it was just piping but looking at it from the other side you can see it's about 2.5x as round and is a long maybe 70cm long or something up in the middle.

I'm guessing thats another muffler and not an XXL cat... lol.
yeah the 70cm long piping you see is the resonator if i'm not mistaken, and it takes almost all the noise out of the exhaust. i got a system put on my 06 focus which 1/4 the resonator and removed one muffler and halved the other. the increase in noise was incredible, sounds fantastic now.

cheers
Penko13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 12:28 AM   #7
hallow
Starter Motor

Isn't too much cabin drone with that?

Any performance catback system would get rid of that resonator and use none or a high-flow one aye?

Main thing I want above all else is some idle noise cos atm you can't even tell the thing is on lol.
Old 22-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the same problem and regularly stall or bunny hop the thing because I cant hear what its doing.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
Penko13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
Isn't too much cabin drone with that?

Any performance catback system would get rid of that resonator and use none or a high-flow one aye?

Main thing I want above all else is some idle noise cos atm you can't even tell the thing is on lol.
thankfully i have absolutly no cabin drone what so ever.

here is a clip of my system, hope this can help you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkP6glspRg4

cheers
Penko13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #10
Tracer
Starter Motor

Mmmmmm nice sound, getting my exhaust in a couple of weeks so hope i got just as good an idle if not better.

Must say i've stalled mine a few times since I ave a tendancy to not turn it off as soon as I stop then I forget the damn things running cos you can't hear it so I take my foot off the clutch lol.

Any places in newcastle or sydney anyone can recommend to get it done?

Doesn't seem to be anywhere with a system specifically designed for the newer focus yet (SMB told me a few months they'll have one) and keep getting warned off of Liverpool Exhausts.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #11
photn
AFF Post NAZI

any local exhaust shop should be able to make you an exhaust for about 300 buckos...

just make sure you get mandrel bent stainless steel...

and dont pay until you are happy with the sound and the exhaust as well.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #12
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer
Mmmmmm nice sound, getting my exhaust in a couple of weeks so hope i got just as good an idle if not better.

Must say i've stalled mine a few times since I ave a tendancy to not turn it off as soon as I stop then I forget the damn things running cos you can't hear it so I take my foot off the clutch lol.

Any places in newcastle or sydney anyone can recommend to get it done?

Doesn't seem to be anywhere with a system specifically designed for the newer focus yet (SMB told me a few months they'll have one) and keep getting warned off of Liverpool Exhausts.
Any reasons why they warned you off Livo exhausts? I've heard nothing but good, and they have at least 1 years worth of ongoing development with the Duratec and the C1 Platform (in a Mazda 3) and have custom headers to suit.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 05:18 PM   #13
Tracer
Starter Motor

Just keep getting told how crap they are. Ppl complaining about bodgey jobs done or having trouble if they had a problem with it and took it back to get fixed etc.

Think alot of ppl on fastfours forum didn't like them either, couple years since i looked at them so not too sure now.
Old 23-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #14
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
any local exhaust shop should be able to make you an exhaust for about 300 buckos...

just make sure you get mandrel bent stainless steel...

and dont pay until you are happy with the sound and the exhaust as well.
find me a mandrel bent stainless steel exhaust for $300 and i'll marry you
Old 23-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #15
Tracer
Starter Motor

LOL yeah I saw a post on a forum about Hitech-mufflers doing one for $900.

Everyone seemed to think it was way overpriced but then some started saying for stainless manbrel bent with 10yrs warranty its about right.

Still seems expensive for just a catback but if its specifically designed for the focus and gives power as well as sound then I guess it could be worth it, waiting for a response from them to see why they charge more then other places.