Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #31
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

I employ about 42 people, ,

My first question in an interview would be , , why did you leave half way through grade 12...

Then if I had 2 candidates the same, , the one who actually finished grade 12 would get the job.

If you leave half way, then an employer will think that you would quit a job if the going got tough.

AC/DC

( why does everyone have to type like they are sending an SMS ? )
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #32
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

Just keep on man its not long and before you'll know it its over. Once you finished decide what direction you wanna go. If you really hate school quit and do VCE and a TAFE.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #33
Nate07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake_7
i hated school n left in yr 10,im now nearly 20 n clearing around 5k a month,company car,unlimited free fuel...if u know what you wanna do n your sure thats what you wanna do go 4 it mate!!
May I ask what field of work you're in?
Nate07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 12:40 AM   #34
frd_crzer
:D:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt10
im in yr 12 aswell. doing a school based apprentiship at a dealership. go to work once a week and tafe once a fortnight.
i hate school aswell as im not really interested in any subjects that were on offer. i had to pick the best of a bad bunch so to speak. im just trying to pass and get my sace. cant wait till its over though
yer im doing the same **** as you. ive got my cert II in automotive and ive finished doing my light tyre fitting and ive got the ticket for that. but i really hate school and i dont really know what to do.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:00 AM   #35
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake_7
i hated school n left in yr 10,im now nearly 20 n clearing around 5k a month,company car,unlimited free fuel...if u know what you wanna do n your sure thats what you wanna do go 4 it mate!!
Im with Blake_7. Im 32 and been working ever since i left school in year 10. I am now in the process of negotiating a contract for myself with a global organisation.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 01:31 AM   #36
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stick it out... not long to go. my little brother just left grade 12 this week to work full time as an apprentice (bush) mechanic. he was already doing a school based apprenticeship. bit of a goon really.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:11 AM   #37
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've done every year of basic education and have worked since Yr 9 and still in the same job.

Now doing a Diploma in IT (Software Development) whilst practically working FT hours.

No reason why you can't do both, it's just a question of how much sleepless nights and sacrifices you're willing to make. ;)

Believe me I hate it too but I'm grateful for the opportunties my parents never had.

FFS my dad couldn't even spell 'sausage' and he was a butcher!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #38
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

Its a hard decision to make, sometimes I thought about quitting school and working but now I'm glad I stayed. I work a shitload of hours and do fulltime uni at the same time, so as MITCHAY said there's no reason why you can't do both, as long as your happy staying up late nights to get everything done. I got mates who did apprenticeships and now they're going back to TAFE on weeknights to get their VCE so they can get promotions/other jobs.

But unis my thing, and its not for everyone. I know what I wanna do and what you wanna do could be completely different. Just make sure that the decision you make is gonna be one your happy with for years to come. As I said, school will be over before you know it.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #39
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

seriously man, if you have the choice, finish year 12 and do the best you can, a few years back i knocked back an apprenticeship (marine engineer) and proceeded to bludge my way through year 11/12...... to say i'm kicking myself now is just a lil understatement
Old 03-06-2007, 09:48 PM   #40
XR-351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im in yr 11 now and am trying to figure out if i should leave school and have an apprenticeship ready for next year or to stick it out.
im finding it pretty hard to choose as well, people say stay in school but once you do year 12 and pass all you get is an enter score which is worthless after 2 years anyway, by that time i do finish if i take the apprenticeship ill already be on my second year.
well thats how im looking at it anyway, id love to get an apprenticeship restoring cars like at grand toura or some thing or do plumbing or something, any one looking for an apprentice lol...

anyway tough decision but if you only have a few months id finish
XR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #41
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

i was always gunna finish yr12. by not completing yr12 it makes other career paths harder to follow later in life. i finished my VCE last yr and i am now attending Wodonga Tafe's Motorsport Training Australia.
it really depends on how open the job is (different skills and possible paths) and how much u really hate school. i hated it but its got me to where i wanna be so far.

all personal preference really ;)

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 09:59 PM   #42
falzoony
Rockin '67

Wow this thread has encouraged me to finish yr12! I wanted to leave a couple months ago but I've already done so much, whats another 5 months.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #43
FDG 220
Confused lil guy

Worst thing i ever did was quit school, i still haven't got my year 12 certificate and it's something that i really do want to get (and i'm 33 now)

If i was in your shoes i would finish year 12, use this time to reflect where you want to go and the best way for you to get there

Personally i would finish year 12 and then look at joining air force or something similar to get an engineering degree as you get paid more than double in there compared to out in real world whilst completing traineeship
Once your time is up (4 or 5 years i think from memory) you can decide where you want to go from there. you will have no problem with ANY engineering firm employing you with those credentials

Another alternative to this is joining as an officer in the forces which will give you an immense platform to take into real world in management sectors of companies

I was tyre fitter once myself and let me say it's a **** of a job and not something you want to do your whole life

This is only 1 suggestion though, there are plenty of other avenues you can take so don't just go by this one
FDG 220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 10:20 PM   #44
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotty
Do you go to croydon park tafe my any chance?

I rekon I've spotted ya 'lane there a few times...
yep used to, I've finished all my courses now though.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #45
Eb Barbie
Banned

I say finish year 12 and hope the jobs still waiting when you finish. The year is halfway through for year 12 so hang in there. Even if you don't get an enter, the certificate will take you places if you ever go for another job in future. I was in the same vote, hated skool. Was there for the social part but I hung in there to finish. Glad I did!
Eb Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #46
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd_crzer
i was talking to my boss today and i am a current yr 12 student and i was wondering other peoples oppinion should i take the job as i hate school or should i finish skool then take the job???

repeat year 7 as you carn t spell school

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 10:55 AM   #47
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

School for god's sake!!!!

This world is no longer easy going on those who do not have a skill - and completing year 12 opens up quite a few options.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #48
Nickxb
XB in progress

I say finish it mate, there is only 4 months left in the school year and the last couple are so easy they fly past. At least then you can say you completed high school.

Stick it out, you'll be right
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #49
frd_crzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
repeat year 7 as you carn t spell school
not my fault my english teacher didnt teach me to spell skool (SCHOOL) the correct way
Old 04-06-2007, 09:26 PM   #50
FordFan86
meow

yer man finish skool ay, its like da best fing u can do ay. when u go 2 get a job fing da boss lykes to see dat bit of papah. i wish i had ov finished it now ay coz i don lyk flippn burges no mor.

I can not believe (well I can) that this is even a question that needs asking anymore, unless you are 100% sure that you want to drop out of school and take up a trade for the rest of your life there is no point in leaving school. Even if you are 100% certain on a trade the average person goes through 3 career changes so that certificate is going to come in handy sooner or later.
It's just like smoking, why the hell are people still taking it up at ages 16-20 with all the advertising and knowledge out there?!?
I'll tell you why, they are stupid

Further note: I'm currently halfway through second year in a double degree of chemistry/business for science at Flinders University ;)
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #51
XRchic
Hello

Why do/did so many people hate school and doing year 12 so much???? Is it the idea of studying, doing hard BRAIN work, the structure??? I actually loved school, learning new stuff, actually achieving something when I got a good grade in something hard and I actually did it knowing I was going to benefit from all the hard work in the long run. I loved the social life of it all, the sport.... and believe me, I did what is generally considered to be horrific subjects (Maths 1, Maths 2, Physics, Chem and German) and actually enjoyed them.

Its a shame that people dont enjoy school more, as life in the workforce in an area is almost never as fun as the good old school days - even though the idea of earning money is attractive....

I guess just do what you feel is right. It would be good to continue with your efforts so far and not waste them. But if you are not doing so well (people who hate year 12 rarely do well), then you may end up spending the next few months just to fail.... so I guess it is up to you to work out how hard you want to work... either way.

My partner left school in year 11 to do a trade. According to him, it is his biggest life mistake and now wants to go back and do year 12 and go to uni but now it is just so hard for him to do.... he reckons he never realised how important education (in that form) is back then when he was a "kid" and that he has grown up to see now how valuable it is...

I hope that my kids love their school life - they do so far, and they are close to high school when it gets serious. But they both have very specific goals which they need year 12 and uni, to reach.

Good luck mate, with whatever you choose.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 04:51 PM   #52
Nickxb
XB in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Why do/did so many people hate school and doing year 12 so much???? Is it the idea of studying, doing hard BRAIN work, the structure??? I actually loved school, learning new stuff, actually achieving something when I got a good grade in something hard and I actually did it knowing I was going to benefit from all the hard work in the long run. I loved the social life of it all, the sport.... and believe me, I did what is generally considered to be horrific subjects (Maths 1, Maths 2, Physics, Chem and German) and actually enjoyed them.

Its a shame that people dont enjoy school more, as life in the workforce in an area is almost never as fun as the good old school days - even though the idea of earning money is attractive....

I guess just do what you feel is right. It would be good to continue with your efforts so far and not waste them. But if you are not doing so well (people who hate year 12 rarely do well), then you may end up spending the next few months just to fail.... so I guess it is up to you to work out how hard you want to work... either way.

My partner left school in year 11 to do a trade. According to him, it is his biggest life mistake and now wants to go back and do year 12 and go to uni but now it is just so hard for him to do.... he reckons he never realised how important education (in that form) is back then when he was a "kid" and that he has grown up to see now how valuable it is...

I hope that my kids love their school life - they do so far, and they are close to high school when it gets serious. But they both have very specific goals which they need year 12 and uni, to reach.

Good luck mate, with whatever you choose.
I loved year 12 for all the wrong reasons.... mainly partying :
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 06:25 PM   #53
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickxb
I loved year 12 for all the wrong reasons.... mainly partying :
Me too mate, dont worry about that....I reckon I was at school for maybe half of the scheduled lessons hehehehe.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #54
frd_crzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Me too mate, dont worry about that....I reckon I was at school for maybe half of the scheduled lessons hehehehe.
too hung over to go to school hehehehehe
Old 06-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #55
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

XRCHIC is right, you will look back and wonder why you thought it was all so tough, its nothing compared to what awaits you.

But, in saying that, if you get to year 10 or so and you know in your heart you would rather be doing a trade, then hell do it. Worst case you come back to school as a mature student.

It would suck, but its not the end of the world.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 12:10 AM   #56
xr8chick
HSV - I Just Ate One!

I can't WAIT for year 12.

I'm currentley in year 10, and we all have to choose our pathways for upper school [years 11 and 12] i may be doing a visagecourse [hairdressing, beauty etc] as i want to do hairdressing, but the teachers are telling me to pick something else, because im 'capable' and want to keep my options open, so i may be doing the arts for year 11. [music, drama, photography etc.]

but just stay in school, you may get better offers elsewhere.