Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-05-2005, 12:34 AM   #31
benXaGt

Default what about another trade?

I dont think becoming a mechanic is a good option for you as your already earning more than them by approx 10-15k
Taking into account that you will be on a adult minimum wage for 4 years
$55000 approx x 4 = $220000
$30000 approx x 4 = $120000
loosing $100000 over 4 years
But if you go from that to working in a mine as a heavy duty mechanic it will take a far few less years to catch up to what you lost in the beginning.

I know working in mines is a good way to start out in life im ganna start my apprenticeship as a fitter this june/july and when i finished ill go to a mine down south of perth(not as hot as up north). Ill be earning up to $2000 a week 12 hour days.

I know u have family so this may not be a good option.

How about a government job they get heaps better benifits like 7years long service leave

-Defence force part time its like 4 weeks a year or 1 weekend a month while you work at your current job and you get paid for it

-police force my uncles a sergent and he gets heaps of $$$ plus heaps of sick leave over 100 days a year ?

-
benXaGt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 12:41 AM   #32
gtfpv
GT

im dissappointed that mechanics get treated as they do , i know the knowledge that they have as i'm a tradesman myself. what shits me is the people that cant change a wheel . ( A MORON IN PRACTICAL TERMS ) OFTEN HAVE A JOB THAT PAYS MUCH MORE THAN A MECHANIC AND THESE PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE MORE INTELIGENT THAN THE MECHANIC. they somehow have the notion that a mechanic is not capable of paperwork , or reading or mathematical equations etc etc. better stop now as i'm starting to feel like a sour bastard.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 12:45 AM   #33
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What annoys me is paying a workshop upwards of $35ph for a mechanic and the workshops lucky if they give the mechanic half of that. Shits me so much that I deal with my dad directly when required. Bugger the workshop ripping my old man off.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 12:57 AM   #34
benXaGt

Default work for the dole (jj)

What about subcontracting? is it possible as a mechanic to be a contractor?

We have a fitter/machinist subby in at the moment on $35/h runs his own buisness out of his home/ute
benXaGt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 08:13 AM   #35
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
im dissappointed that mechanics get treated as they do , i know the knowledge that they have as i'm a tradesman myself. what shits me is the people that cant change a wheel . ( A MORON IN PRACTICAL TERMS ) OFTEN HAVE A JOB THAT PAYS MUCH MORE THAN A MECHANIC AND THESE PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE MORE INTELIGENT THAN THE MECHANIC. they somehow have the notion that a mechanic is not capable of paperwork , or reading or mathematical equations etc etc. better stop now as i'm starting to feel like a sour bastard.
Yes well most trades and services are seriously underpaid. Think of nurses and childcare workers ffs. They do an enormous amount of work and $30k is a dream to them. Teachers aren't paid too well (imho) to teach our kids (don't crap on about "all those holidays", most are spent catching up, marking, and preparing for the following term - I know a heap of teachers).

As a society we don't value these people... it's shocking. We pay enormous 6 or 7 figure amounts to white collar Directors of Companies and they do nothing but protect the shareholders, yet someone who fixes our car so that we can continue working/living gets paid shit.

Society keeps underestimating the worth of some professions and overestimating the worth of others. What about mothers, hey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 10:32 AM   #36
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
As a society we don't value these people... it's shocking. We pay enormous 6 or 7 figure amounts to white collar Directors of Companies and they do nothing but protect the shareholders, yet someone who fixes our car so that we can continue working/living gets paid shit.
Those directors are protecting the thousands of shareholders who many themselves have family, i cant see it being too good for a family if they lose $15 000 in shares and investments because a company is run into the ground as their is no one to protect the shareholders interests....
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #37
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
I agree

Before i started doin auto in college i thought it was something anyone could do. When i got into i found out there is an extreme degree of accuracy needed otherwise things wont work. You definately need to know your maths to do it aswell. Its not all practical as some people would assume you do need to have brains to do it.

Whats a joke is these fat cats of big corporations get paid millions to do bugger all to what anyone else could do. I watched today tonight last night and it was stated that one of the bosses from Maquarie Bank (i think it was) was raking in $69000 a day. If you divide that by 8 hours you get $8625 an hour. Weekly that is $345000 based on a 5 day working week. Come on thats ridiculous in anyones book i bet they even think theyre being over paid but dont care cause theyre getting money. Would anyone complain if they got $69000 a day. Thats a fantasy for most people to be able to make that in a year.

Mechanics should be repspected as what they do is hard for little financial reward. I have the upmost repspect for them as i know i wouldnt be able to do it.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 20-05-2005 at 12:41 PM.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 02:07 PM   #38
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I agree

Before i started doin auto in college i thought it was something anyone could do. When i got into i found out there is an extreme degree of accuracy needed otherwise things wont work. You definately need to know your maths to do it aswell. Its not all practical as some people would assume you do need to have brains to do it.

Whats a joke is these fat cats of big corporations get paid millions to do bugger all to what anyone else could do. I watched today tonight last night and it was stated that one of the bosses from Maquarie Bank (i think it was) was raking in $69000 a day. If you divide that by 8 hours you get $8625 an hour. Weekly that is $345000 based on a 5 day working week. Come on thats ridiculous in anyones book i bet they even think theyre being over paid but dont care cause theyre getting money. Would anyone complain if they got $69000 a day. Thats a fantasy for most people to be able to make that in a year.

Mechanics should be repspected as what they do is hard for little financial reward. I have the upmost repspect for them as i know i wouldnt be able to do it.

sorry but i disagree with one part of your statement , they do not think they are over paid these people convince themselves they are worth every cent and are the ones that fight to keep your wages down..
Old 20-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #39
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They must have been doing something right though to get to where they are.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 02:23 PM   #40
gtfpv
GT

dont get me wrong i'm not against doing very well , but most people in these positions, think theyare a class above everyone else. and are there in one of 2 ways . someone they know . or excellent at screwing people over . its a dog eat dog world out there . and they are the pittbulls.
Old 20-05-2005, 02:43 PM   #41
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

im in IT(generalisation) and i sub out doing dyno tuning at a local workshop. i know who works harder (mechanic by a longshot) and i know who gets paid more.(not the apprentice mechanic im telling you now!)
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 03:41 PM   #42
james

hrrm maybe i shouldnt complain about my computer job so much 550pw after tax :(
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post