Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-11-2007, 10:56 PM   #1
[dave]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default torque wrench

hey

i need a torque wrench to do my hubs on my ba (305nm)

now i dont need a torque wrench everyday or many times a year but dont wont to buy crap so i was wondering what people recon i should buy or spend

im looking at this on ebay but not to sure http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KINCROME-TORQ...QQcmdZViewItem

cheers for your help

[dave] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
nb_351
building the xe...

thats the same as the one i have...
youll need a big pipe on the end of it to get it to 300nm though...
get somehting like a length of mesh fence pole or something to fit over the end of it...
youll be right...
if i was at work, id just rattle them up on setting 4... with the 3/4 truck gun lol are you doing the ones for the driveshafts?
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
[dave]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nah for the front the wheel bearings are noisey as.

would you recommend getting that wrench ?
[dave] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Warren and Brown are best. This http://cgi.ebay.com.au/torque-wrench...QQcmdZViewItem is a good buy even if you have to pay another $100 to get it checked and recalibrated.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #5
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_351
thats the same as the one i have...
youll need a big pipe on the end of it to get it to 300nm though...
get somehting like a length of mesh fence pole or something to fit over the end of it...
youll be right...
if i was at work, id just rattle them up on setting 4... with the 3/4 truck gun lol are you doing the ones for the driveshafts?
I think if your willing to put a pipe on the end of a torque wrench you should really be asking yourself how concerned with accurate torque figures you really are. In my experience and I know I'm going to offend some people but all the experience I've had with Kinchrome has been bad, in saying that its all been in industrial applications and so in a DIY environment it would probably be ok.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2007, 11:17 PM   #6
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
Warren and Brown are best. This http://cgi.ebay.com.au/torque-wrench...QQcmdZViewItem is a good buy even if you have to pay another $100 to get it checked and recalibrated.
Warren and Brown are pretty highly regarded, my brother bought one twenty years ago but never used it and left it in my old mans shed. I found it still wrapped in grease paper in perfect condition.

I bought a CAT 3/4" torque wrench the other day for work (good for 600ft lbs) for 1k, works quite well but if you don't hold it in exactly the right place on the handle you won't get the "click". A bloke came to me with a broken impact in-hex socket claiming he couldn't reach the required torque setting with only a half inch tool. We had a new item machined from 4140 and when I used it it went click after minimal effort. The guy had been griping the shaft of the wrench rather than the handle so it was never going to "click".
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have 2 Kincrome toque wrenches 3/8 and 1/2 inch at 305nm you are in it's upper range on the 1/2' one.

At work we have warren and brown 3/4" and up and they cop a beating but they are expensive as well, never put a pipe on the end of them but i have been swinging off the end of the 1' drive before toque was around 700ft/lb from memory *20 bolts. any higher than that and we pull out the Hydraulic toque wrench and take it easy LOL.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:54 PM   #8
fmc351
let it burn

Its better than nothing, just.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2007, 12:09 AM   #9
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was told today that the quality of kincrome has dropped our local supplier doesnt sell them any more I have a kincrome torque wrench and its been ok for home use
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post