Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #31
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Why is it everytime Queensland is mentioned water is discussed. visit www.bom.gov.au to understand more about the problem.

Sept - to October will be a busy time I'd check when school holidays are on ( both Queensland and other states) and also check to make sure your not down there for Indy, unless of course you want to send the kids to the theme parks and enjoy the racing.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #32
Ringo
I see you....

As a Victorian who has done the QLD pilgramidge annually for about 15 years the best times I think are

February...the place is dead, non-one around but can be hot. Except for weekends you will have your choice or parking spots and rides...no problem

November...Avoid Schoolies dates (late November) but the weather is nice (not summer yet) and the crowds are very mild....very few kids around.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #33
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

any time is great do the the brisvegas thing this trip and check out for next 1 money depending and get up to the whitsundays , kids will love it , great barrier reef is something else late winter should be cool enoughfor you guys . have a good 1 eh.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #34
scoupedy

My vote is for spring before of after easter holidays...beware the hotels charge 'peak' if anyone is on holidays this includes NZ, Equador and Lipizstein.. If its the parks you are after somewhere on the Spit, main beach, or surfers are all good access and close to the beaches
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #35
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoupedy
My vote is for spring before of after easter holidays...beware the hotels charge 'peak' if anyone is on holidays this includes NZ, Equador and Lipizstein.. If its the parks you are after somewhere on the Spit, main beach, or surfers are all good access and close to the beaches
Ummm, I thought spring was Oct/Nov..but then again this Qld we're talking here
Old 13-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #36
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
May I suggest possibly staying on the Gold Coast , say Southport and catching the yellow bus to the theme parks?

I only suggest this due the competative packages there are with the gold coast. the theme parks, especially Dreamworld, Wet & wild and Movieworld are sorta in the middle of no where.
I'm in the middle of nowhere?:O

I live opposite Dreamworld, but I understand what you man though. Wet 'n' Wild, Movieworld, and Dreamworld are located on the M1 Motorway (Pacific Hwy) around 17 minutes from Surfers Paradise heading north to Brisbane.

Before moving here, from Canberra, in July the family and I came here for a holiday, last Christmas (2006). We stayed at a place called 'Surfers Tradewinds' which is located close to Surfers and Southport (where Seaworld is). This is a great spot, with a pool, covered BBQ area, undercover secure parking, and games room. It is also not too far from both Pacific Fair and Australia fair (shopping malls).

Quote:

Plus with staying at the Gold Coast your on the beach and usually have a great view.

The buses come every 15-20mins. You pay for your fare and all your theme park passes on the bus too.
Yes the public transport system is pretty good here, though when we were here on holiday we had hired a vehicle, so not too sure about how it relates to resorts (I bus and train it the 1 hour to work in Brisbane each day). One thing to keep in mind though, if driving, is that parking is expensive (at least it was to us).

Quote:
As far as times of the year, I reckon April-May or September-October are good times. With great weather and you can avoid school holidays.
I agree. This would be the best times to come if wanting to avoid crowds and summer rain.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 12:29 PM   #37
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

sorry quasi, didnt mean it to sound so remote. : Just meant that it wasnt near much accomodation that I knew of.

I'd give my right arm to live anywhere around that area if I could.

Agree that car parking can be a bit of a rip, but I look at it as part of the experience. Thats what the spending cash is for.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #38
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
sorry quasi, didnt mean it to sound so remote. : Just meant that it wasnt near much accomodation that I knew of.
That's fine. Like I said I know what you mean. If heading up the M1 it does seem a bit like there's nothing around, unless you know it's there. There are a few place along the way though. In fact the 'Coomera Motor Inn' is right outside Dreamworld, and there are others in the area, but not necessarily viewable from the motorway.

As for accomodation, for the original poster, check out the Gold Coast online.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 01:03 AM   #39
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First time we went was mid Feb, flew up and did the bus thing. Was about $220 for a 14 day unlimited family ticket from memory. Great to use just jump on and off as you please. Only down side is the theme park bus did the rounds of resorts/hotels etc so takes a while.

Second time drove up mid may (racing at Winters) and stayed at Ashmore Palms, great spot and only about 10-15 mins to theme parks. If your kids are good travellers I would drive as it worked out cheaper and the convenience factor is great ie no timetable to catch buses etc.

The theme park tickets were 14 days unlimited so some days we went to 2 different ones depending on the weather. The Feb trip was really busy at the parks May/June was definately quiter but weather not as hot.
Old 26-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #40
gtfpv
GT

i'm back . and i must say you definately see more of TASMAINIA in queensland . i think it is because the girls are all so beautifal that they have more to compete with . so they promote TASSIE .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 12:47 AM   #41
paul_r_d

My sister lives up in townsville, so I am in queens every 4 months or so, best time of year is around aug, sept, oct. The heat is not over bearing and you get the 22-28 degree days. Perfect.

The missus
2003 Rav4 4 door Cruiser
paul_r_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 01:50 AM   #42
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I beleive the recent rain in Queensland was a freak occurance. As much as it is a disappointment, dont be discouraged about going again. There have been many years that I have gone to Brisbane during the major holiday periods and the weather was perfect. bloody hot, but perfect. :
The recent rain is normal monsoon weather , like back in the 70's when I first got to Brisvegas.. it should continue for some years with luck .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 09:23 AM   #43
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Ummm, I thought spring was Oct/Nov..but then again this Qld we're talking here
sorry i mean Autumn
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post