Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-07-2005, 08:22 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Gas Questions - Plugs, Airbox, Muffler?

Hi everyone.

1. Plugs
I would like some advice on my choices of plugs and airbox filter for my AU 1 on factory fitted gas (dual).

I was thinking of the NGK iridium plugs but at $113 a set I'd want to be sure they would give me a performance gain. Anyone used them on a gas engine? How did they go?

What about the bosch super 4 jobbies? They are much more affordable at about $65 a set. Anyone tried them? Would the NGKs be better?

Also, how long would each be expected to last? I heard talk of 100,000k for the bosch super 4s. Is this right?

2. Airbox filter.
Should I ditch the standard paper job for a K&N or likewise? Will the computer adjust for the extra airflow? Will I get a performance gain on gas? Anyone done this on a gas engine?

3. Muffler
Would replacing the last muffler help? I know I should go from headers back, but i don't have the cash and I've just replaced the whole exhaust with a standard one. I guess I missed a good opportunity on that one!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
George

GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I tried the iridiums and my car felt faster.Unfortunatley though on my AU 1 they started to idle a bit rough after a while.

I tested the ngk iridium plugs before I got the unichip and out of 3 different plugs they gave me the worst 0-100 kmph times!

I have not tested 0-100 the denso iridium plugs but my car felt much much better with their addition. The feeling of these plugs was better than my cam swap. But as before the idle quality declined after a few days.

The brand did make a difference in feel.Denso iridiums made the car feel heaps better but the ngks got thrown in the bin after 2 days,they were crap!!

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
I tried the iridiums and my car felt faster.Unfortunatley though on my AU 1 they started to idle a bit rough after a while.

I tested the ngk iridium plugs before I got the unichip and out of 3 different plugs they gave me the worst 0-100 kmph times!

I have not tested 0-100 the denso iridium plugs but my car felt much much better with their addition. The feeling of these plugs was better than my cam swap. But as before the idle quality declined after a few days.

The brand did make a difference in feel.Denso iridiums made the car feel heaps better but the ngks got thrown in the bin after 2 days,they were crap!!
Thanks for the info useless, I suspect you just saved be a packet! Was your car on gas?
Old 02-07-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

My wagon is petrol. The best plug I found for 0-100 was the dedicated ngk xr6/lpg spark plugs..the number started with zg????

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 02-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
My wagon is petrol. The best plug I found for 0-100 was the dedicated ngk xr6/lpg spark plugs..the number started with zg????
They're no good for my wagon as the Tickford enhanced XR's are different. All plug books that I've looked through have made this clear distinction. Shame really!
Old 02-07-2005, 09:25 PM   #6
Stav
Smile

I know they dont suit my car either but they worked a treat as far as times went. I just like real performance results not "it felt so much better" brigade.If it doesnt work it gets chucked.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:18 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
I know they dont suit my car either but they worked a treat as far as times went. I just like real performance results not "it felt so much better" brigade.If it doesnt work it gets chucked.
Hmmmm, very interesting. I wonder if they'd have any adverse affects in the longer term though?

Thanks for the info.

Cheers.