Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
ford_maiden
5lt fairmont ghia

Default Idle problem

when my car is sitting in gear it will drop its revs down to about 500 and then after a couple of nimutes will pick back up to 750, can anyone please tell em why it might do this?

this generation of car enthusiasts didnt invent the art of 'cruising' , 'cutting bog laps' , 'racing' and 'burnouts'. its funny how the past generation or two stardted it and now are the ones handing out the fines

AU II FAIMONT GHIA " TIX35" 5.0lt
ford_maiden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_maiden
when my car is sitting in gear it will drop its revs down to about 500 and then after a couple of nimutes will pick back up to 750, can anyone please tell em why it might do this?
A number of things could be causing what you're describing.

Dirty fuel, dodgy or dirty plugs, a crook lead, dirty air cleaner, dirty throttle body, dirty IAC (also known as ISC), coil pack on the way out, dirty fuel filter.

Firstly I'd clean the IAC/ISC. Easy and cheap to do. *Many idle issues are caused by this being dirty.

Cleaning ISC Valve
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...9&postcount=43

Then I'd clean the Throttle body. This is for an I6 but the iside of the TB will look about the same as a V8. * As above.

Cleaning Throttle Body
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...2&postcount=48

Then I'd check your air cleaner. Give it a bit of a tap and see how much rubbish comes out of it.

Then I'd check your plugs. If you use the NGK $5 items, then replace the lot. Cheap and easy enough to do.

If all that fails then you could reset the ECU.

Resetting of AU ECU
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...9&postcount=85

If the problems still persists after resetting the ECU, then I'd get the leads tested and perhaps changed.

If the problem still persists, change the fuel filter.

Changing Fuel Filter
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...3&postcount=37

If all that fails, then take it to a trusted mechanic who can scan for fault codes. I'd be utterly surprised however, if you needed to after working down the list! LOL!

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've worked through that list and more! :P Still can't figure out why it's idling rough :( Best of luck with it
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
I've worked through that list and more! :P Still can't figure out why it's idling rough :( Best of luck with it
ISC/IAC might be stuffed.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 18-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
aye you
The Origional, The Best

dropping down then moving back up again, could be the aircon compressor kicking in and out?
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
dropping down then moving back up again, could be the aircon compressor kicking in and out?
Shouldn't drop that low though.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG