Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Ibrox90
Banned

Default Track work near adelaide.

Hey guys,

i have a BA XR8 and im interested in doing some track work, skid pan and drag strip work.

I want to get it sideways and get to the speed limiter at 230 kph in a safe enviroment off the streets.

Just wondering where can i do this in the vicinity of Adelaide??

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
Barry_v
rocknrolla

ask bob jane.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Ibrox90
Banned

huh? um ok

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Old 14-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

drag racing? adelaide?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahaha....

theres an 1/8th mile track in whyalla, and a 1/4 mile track in heathcote, victoria. thats about it bud.
Old 14-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrox90
huh? um ok
The Jane family own AIR and have pretty much closed it down for public use. http://www.adelaideraceway.com.au/home.shtml Nothing there since Feb.
Best bet would be to see what's on a Mallala.
Old 14-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11250070
read thru that. Although being a P-plater in SA, according to the advertiser you'll kill somebody soon in your death machine/high powered car, and will be stoned to death in victoria square.

so i wouldn't worry about looking for a track, as the end is nigh...
Old 14-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

There's plenty of facilities for everything other than drag racing at Mallala, and I understand the Tailem Bend circuit is fairly comprehensive, though not sure about drag strip there either. But reaching the limiter safely and barrelling sideways? $105 for a day pass and CAMS license at Mallala is money WELL spent.
Old 14-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

what circuit at tailem bend? Does mallala have a decent skid pan? I heard they might be starting to do burnout comps. Not sure if thats at the track or on the road outside though.
Old 14-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
BHDOGS
Banned

Anzacs
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #10
Ibrox90
Banned

Anzac hwy isnt a serious solution guys.

whats this CAMS license ? cost involved?"

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Old 14-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know forum sponser kpm ? used to have days at mallala ? it would be intersting to see what you come up with.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
caputo23
05 BA MkII XR8

just go down to port wakefield road at about 2-3am on a friday, saturday and sunday night, plenty of room IMO and most likely a crowd

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...88#post4823988
caputo23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #13
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Theres a kpm track day coming soon.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #14
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrox90
Anzac hwy isnt a serious solution guys.

whats this CAMS license ? cost involved?"
Obviously sounds like you want to do it properly.

The CAMS license which stands for the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport or some such, licenses you to drive on a CAMS approved race circuit. That could be Mallala, it could be Collingrove Hillclimb, etc. I don't remember what the annual costs are, but I know the $25 one-day-pass comes off the price if you choose to go and get a regular one.

So if memory serves me correctly 6 or 8 weeks ago, $80 was essentially the track hire or cost of admission to Mallala, and $25 the CAMS one day license, so for $105 I got to do 6 or so stints, of about 12 to 15 laps each over the course of the day at Mallala, with likeminded enthusiasts, grouped together - so single day pass drivers in one group, proper CAMS affiliates in another, open wheelers, bikes, etc. in different groups. This was a circuit day, there are other days out there for drift practice, there is also a large skid pan which I've seen full of water, etc. Check out the Mallala website for practice day dates for each specific sport you want to try.

I've only been to Tailem Bend once, and it was when Mitsubishi owned it for a drive day in Evo's and things. They have a comprehensive test track facility, and I *believe* parts of it is available to the public at times. I guess I'll Google that shortly and see what I can find. I remember banking, NVH tracks, skidpan that may have had a wheel in the middle, etc.

Where do Porsché and BMW hold their advanced driver training days? There's a few courses like that in the phonebook, I've seen slaloms and things set up somewhere in Adelaide on ACA, does anyone here (Mack6 for example) have ties to the SCCSA and tell us where else they take their members?

Conversely I've heard mixed reports about the KPM days where someone who paid the $300-odd to attend didn't get the time with a skilled race driver in their car as promised, or even to follow one, while someone else who attended purely to observe their paying partner, who happened to be a KPM customer, got the full service without paying. On the other hand a number of FPV owners (who get a drive day as part of buying their new FPV) were supportive of the day and what they learned there. Guess it comes down to perception of value and what you want to do with your XR8.

Last edited by Big Mike; 15-07-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 01:37 AM   #15
Ibrox90
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
Obviously sounds like you want to do it properly.

The CAMS license which stands for the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport or some such, licenses you to drive on a CAMS approved race circuit. That could be Mallala, it could be Collingrove Hillclimb, etc. I don't remember what the annual costs are, but I know the $25 one-day-pass comes off the price if you choose to go and get a regular one.

So if memory serves me correctly 6 or 8 weeks ago, $80 was essentially the track hire or cost of admission to Mallala, and $25 the CAMS one day license, so for $105 I got to do 6 or so stints, of about 12 to 15 laps each over the course of the day at Mallala, with likeminded enthusiasts, grouped together - so single day pass drivers in one group, proper CAMS affiliates in another, open wheelers, bikes, etc. in different groups. This was a circuit day, there are other days out there for drift practice, there is also a large skid pan which I've seen full of water, etc. Check out the Mallala website for practice day dates for each specific sport you want to try.

I've only been to Tailem Bend once, and it was when Mitsubishi owned it for a drive day in Evo's and things. They have a comprehensive test track facility, and I *believe* parts of it is available to the public at times. I guess I'll Google that shortly and see what I can find. I remember banking, NVH tracks, skidpan that may have had a wheel in the middle, etc.

Where do Porsché and BMW hold their advanced driver training days? There's a few courses like that in the phonebook, I've seen slaloms and things set up somewhere in Adelaide on ACA, does anyone here (Mack6 for example) have ties to the SCCSA and tell us where else they take their members?

Conversely I've heard mixed reports about the KPM days where someone who paid the $300-odd to attend didn't get the time with a skilled race driver in their car as promised, or even to follow one, while someone else who attended purely to observe their paying partner, who happened to be a KPM customer, got the full service without paying. On the other hand a number of FPV owners (who get a drive day as part of buying their new FPV) were supportive of the day and what they learned there. Guess it comes down to perception of value and what you want to do with your XR8.
thanks

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Old 16-07-2009, 02:15 AM   #16
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v
ask bob jane.
Jeez man, stuiped posts in one night, hahaha sorry.

Bob Jane is doing a good job at stuffing up southern australian motorsport (vic and sa)

Mallala is the place to go for some track work mate. Have a ball, next to no walls to hit ect.
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #17
caputo23
05 BA MkII XR8

looks like this bloke found something to hit at mallala, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrules
Went to mallala today for a track day, this guy must have a had a big bowl of fail for breakfast this morning, on the third session of the day it kicked in, he came round the corner started to swerve, over corrected and SMASH!!!! 80,000 bucks gone! totalled and un-insured as it was on a track.

BEFORE

A few minutes later

let this be a lesson to those whose wish to race round a track, if you are going to to do it, be sure you are able to live with yourself if you prang it. that car was 3 months old driven by a guy who couldn't have been more than 19 or 20. had an 80,000 loan to get it which will take years to pay off.

Cheers Dave
Go the coupes

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...88#post4823988
caputo23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #18
krt10
eskyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
what circuit at tailem bend? .
i believe its the old mtsubushi test track. although i think one of the truck companes wants to buy it to store their trucks ( dont hold me to this. just what i heard)

shame because looks like a good track too apparantly
Old 16-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #19
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by caputo23
looks like this bloke found something to hit at mallala, lol
That was the wall that was strategically place by the ford blokes out: out: out: out:
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #20
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
Where do Porsché and BMW hold their advanced driver training days?
Porsche events are held at Mallala

By HEINRICH PERFORMANCE & TUNING

E Series Falcon Image Museum on FB
https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Ser...29864000453208
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #21
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah Mallala has tracks days all the time, KPM is doing one soon, give them a buzz...
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #22
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOJ
Jeez man, stuiped posts in one night, hahaha sorry.
heres a tip to help with your credibility. when criticising another members posts, it is best to correctly spell 'stupid'. if you are unsure at how to spell 'stupid', i recommend you look it up in the dictionary - you wont miss it.. its got a photo of bob jane next to it.

I heard a story of a fella who totalled his monaro at malalla. he towed the car out into the bush, pushed it into some trees and claimed it happained there. ended up doing time for insurance fraud.

the thing to remember about track days.... just because you're allowed to drive like a tool doesnt mean you should.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #23
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can have a big woopsie on the track just as easily as off it - there is a risk to your car whenever, wherever you start pushing boundaries. Sideways at 230km/h is going to present a risk.

The big difference is on the track, you aren't going to take out any innocent people - and Medical/fire support are seconds away if you need it.
My suggestion is, as part of your planning to go out to the track think about how you would get you and your car home if something did break.
When you do get out there, listen to the people, and work your way up - learn to drive consistently before driving quickly...
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post