Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Kuga may be here soon

Looks like it might finally make it here next year. About time.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257654007D48E6

Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was only talking to the missus about this car this morning. If they bring it fair chance we will get one.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Fair to say this is what Ford has been missing, along with a sporty wagon.

The Territory Doesn't cover all bases like some on here would make out.

May we'll be one of these coming for us if the pricing is reasonable, nicely presented SUV.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Looks good, watched a roadtest of it on 5th Gear a little while ago, they had nothing but good things to say about it!
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

I agree it'd be great to have the Kuga in Oz, but I don't see much meat in that article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAuto
Asked whether this means that the Kuga has been put on hold indefinitely, Mr Burela indicated that Ford Australia is close to announcing what its compact SUV options will be.

“Are we looking at other product actions? The answer is yes, but it is too early to talk about them.

“But we are OK with what we have right now, but there is no question that – over time – we need to progress, and move forward, at this juncture.”
Old 21-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
I agree it'd be great to have the Kuga in Oz, but I don't see much meat in that article:
There's enough there to show that they are looking at it. The Escape has bombed so it needs a replacement. I don't understand why Marin is saying its sold well, they only sold 5 either last month or the one before.

Some of the top small SUV's are selling over 1000+ a month, like the RAV4, CRV and Forester. Ford need a viable competitor to these vehicles. I don't know why the Kuga isn't on sale now, are they worried it might steal Territory sales?
Old 21-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
There's enough there to show that they are looking at it. The Escape has bombed so it needs a replacement. I don't understand why Marin is saying its sold well, they only sold 5 either last month or the one before.

Some of the top small SUV's are selling over 1000+ a month, like the RAV4, CRV and Forester. Ford need a viable competitor to these vehicles. I don't know why the Kuga isn't on sale now, are they worried it might steal Territory sales?
Supply issue I think
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 01:10 AM   #8
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

The territory canibilsation would be minimal i'd say. Its viewed very differently by the market to Small SUVs and any concerns over fuel burn would be abated by the diesel territory which would arrive at around the same time.

Kuga hasn't come here most probably because of spec levels. It came out as a manual diesel and I5T originally. my understanding is DSG diesel is now available but there is a need for a 4 cylinder auto of some kind...for a range of non-european markets (US probably wants the car too...and they only take autos...). Fact is kuga is a very niche spec vehicle in europe...its pricey and given the availability of focus wagons (even high rider versions) it is seen as a premium focus....effectively a replacement for the now discontinued AWD mondeos....

whether the US build a different small SUV off the kuga platform (replacing their escape) is yet to be seen but either way i'd say Ford of europe is waiting for ecoboost engines (probably 1.6T) to go with a base spec version of the car. Ford is in effect waiting for that to happen to bring it here. Probably a $32k base 1.6T auto through to diesell at $34k with DSG and then maybe the I5T engined car (a big maybe) at top spec.

The comments about 'retaining the escape' is more an admission from Ford that while they were waiting for the kuga they were just going to drop the escape entirely....have no small SUV at all. They updated it in 2006 and pretty much everyone thought that was the end of it but they updated it again (no choice...Taiwanese factory only builds on spec) with a worse looking (IMO) nose. The last few months it has stopped selling entirely but last year it was trundling along still....

Have to do some research on what is coming RE the kuga in europe because that will point to what is happening here too. Don't rule out one of the asian Ford plants getting the gig to build it niether....probably the same one that gets next gen Focus (thailand??) It all makes sense when you think of it in a global business sense...too bad we have to wait though....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Its my understanding that Escape has gone US only (as well as the Explorer) and had big bucks tipped into it (Hybrid etc) so itd be Kuga or nothing for us Id imagine, while Fomoco keep the Escape (whosstyling is now very American, wheras the Kuga willfit right in with the very European Ford oz range.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I think the Escape would have sold better with the hard-edged US facelift rather than the soft-look Asian market makeover.

What we got =>

What the US get =>

Still the Kuga is a more modern looking soft-raoder but will be no where near as capable in the dirt as the Escape but that seems to be where the larger market is.
Old 22-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Why no hybrid for Oz? Not even talk or thought of it.

Boggled.

Lukeyson
Old 22-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
kocho
The Futuriser

The Escape is just about the worst car in Ford Aus' lineup IMO. We had a look at it when thinking about a wagon (Outback, Sportwagon... that sort of deal) and it doesn't have much appeal from a private buyers point of view.

The Kuga looks good though. I hope they bring that over!

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Kuga is a stunner; it should have no trouble putting a dint in its segment.

Old 22-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
kiwimark

sorry to go sideways on this subject, but can someone tell me why in the last few years we have seen an explosion in fake vents on the front guards (see kuga and asian escape) ?? as I now see the new Tezz has them as well?
The Kuga's work well, whereas the escapes look like door handles in the wrong spot.
kiwimark is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #15
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This Kuga is 1000000000000% better than the Escape.. The Ecsape looks like a brick with wheels!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #16
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
Kuga is a stunner; it should have no trouble putting a dint in its segment.

I am sure you are right. I have been very impressed by kuga since its first launch in europe. Finally...somone built a small SUV that atcualy is half decent. Its worth noting that the unfortunately named 'Tiguan' has done quite well for VW too....and if ford were to price the Kuga a bit below that it will go quite well. The small SUV segment is full of too much rubbish frankly....alot of it overpriced. Be it ugly, gutless, fuel hungry or just plain bad handling (virtually all bar tiguan/kuga) they really leave alot to be desired.

When the Kuga launched most european reviewers gave it a narrow victory over the tiguan too....so it would probably beat the VW on merit anyway.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 22-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #17
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
This Kuga is 1000000000000% better than the Escape.. The Ecsape looks like a brick with wheels!!
Not that i disagree (kuga is a excelently styled vehicle...shows the flexibility of ford's kinetic styling) but i think alot of people attack the escape unnecessarily. Yes the latest update was a step backwards RE styling, but it really quite a decent car.

My grandfather owns a 2006 model (the first of the then new update) and while in 4cyl form its hardly going to get the timesheets alight its quite a capable car. It is a quite a good drive, easilly one of the top of the segment (not saying much though...) and is built ford tough. The update got 4 wheel disk brakes and they are very powerful stoppers...auto is quite refined too for a 4sp and combined with the relatively low down torque the 2.3 goes ok up to about 60km/h. Perfect for a retiree that doesn't go much out of town and can't get down into a lower car due to athritis.

It even has a few advantages over newer bodies cars (incl. kuga....), such as load space and off road ability. I was told by a guy that owned a V6 escape that it was more user friendly off road than his wife's territory, due to ground clearance predominantly.

The biggest problem with escape was that it held on too long without enough investment. Most dont' know it was the first purpose designed compact SUV.....and was very well recieved internationally when it first launched (2000). In much the same way that Territory wrote the rule book on car based medium SUVs the Escape did the same thing for smaller SUVs. Before that most were body on frame truck based cars or poorly executed trumped up hatches. In fact it is the only compact SUV i know of in its price bracket not based on a hatch platform.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 22-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #18
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimark
...can someone tell me why in the last few years we have seen an explosion in fake vents on the front guards ....
It's called fashion :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
...In much the same way that Territory wrote the rule book on car based medium SUVs the Escape did the same thing for smaller SUVs. Before that most were body on frame truck based cars or poorly executed trumped up hatches. In fact it is the only compact SUV I know of in its price bracket not based on a hatch platform.
Agree, and yes the Escape is more capable in the dirt than a Territory, aided by a lockable centre diff and better ground clearance.

The Kuga is based on a modified Focus platform so it appears that's the way they're all going. Looks great in the white pic above and can only hope the proper Territory makeover in 2010/11/12 picks up similar strong styling cues (already evident in a half-arsed way on SYII).

Last edited by Raptor; 22-10-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #19
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor

The Kuga is based on a modified Focus platform so it appears that's the way they're all going. Looks great in the white pic above and can only hope the proper Territory makeover in 2010/11/12 picks up similar strong styling cues (already evident in a half-arsed way on SYII).
Yes this is the way manufacturers are going...and i'm all for it...if done properly. What i found quite funny about the hatch-compact SUV situation was so many manufacturers tried it and failed. Even with quite good hatch platforms to start with. Toyota didn't really have much to start with, but honda tried and failed (several times) to build a true knockout. As the Fifth gear review of the kuga noted, if you add 200kg and 20cm in height to a focus you can pretty easilly get a crap handler...it takes development dollars and a bit of knowhow to get it working. Trust Ford of Europe, the FWD platform masters to get it right. If manufaturers want to go away from the offroad/onroad 50/50 set up (nissan xtrail, escape etc.) then fine, but what's the point if the 80/20 onroad set up cars don't handle any better anyway??

So far there is are really only three top level compact SUVs to buy if you want to use them onroad. The mazda cx7 (which thankfully just got a non-turbo petrol and diesel...though it is a bit on the big side), VW tiguan (not great styling wise but ok otherwise) and the Ford Kuga.

All Ford has to do is launch T6 Ranger to fix the dodgy LCV utes and i think most segments will finally have an appropriate car that doesn't handle like a wet sponge....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 22-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #20
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Some youtube clips worth viewing for those interested in the kuga....
Fifth gear review. Note the inappropriate off road action the reviewer puts it through...it ain't pretty but it kept on going....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvWdPPxd2mA

An interesting handling demo between a focua and a kuga. Not in english but you get the point. The focus is obviously more balanced and stable but the kuga gets the job done...i'd love to see how most of the other SUVS on the market would go doing the lane change....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6J_C...eature=related

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 22-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Why no hybrid for Oz? Not even talk or thought of it.

Boggled.

Lukeyson
Its only made in LHD. Sales numbers would be dismal anyway. If the widely known and No 1 Hybrid Prius can only sell around 200 a month, 90% of which go to fleets, how many Hybrid Escapes do you think they would sell. 10? 20?
Old 22-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Supply issue I think
Surely now with the GFC they will have excess capacity to bring them here. Overall sales in Europe are off something like 30%.
Old 22-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #23
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation

The biggest problem FORD AUSTRALIA has is..PROCRASTINATION !!! They dither about and WHEN THEY finally make a decision, the opposition has beaten them too the market by a year or so !!!!!!!!!
Old 22-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #24
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
The biggest problem FORD AUSTRALIA has is..PROCRASTINATION !!! They dither about and WHEN THEY finally make a decision, the opposition has beaten them too the market by a year or so !!!!!!!!!
Agreed, Captiva seems to have been a success and by the time they get this out the sales race will have been run.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #25
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Yes that is an issue. THey are an inherently conservative mob (something burela is no doubt changing bit by bit) and the recent market climate is only going to make it harder for them to be agressive.

It is worth noting that you do more damage to your long term image launching inapropriate or outdated cars then you do waiting for the right vehicle. Ford Aus skipped a mondeo generation...but finally brougth it back just as it was 'reinventing' itself in europe to great aclaim. They bring out the first (of possibly many) econetic models with the fiesta...so it can claim the lowest fuel burn in the country. yes they could of bought out the econetic focus but where is the PR in that. Better to start small with the right models.

the kuga was/is a niche high spec expensive player in europe. Getting the appropriate specifcations for the australian market has delayed its use here anyway. What use is a diesel manual only model here...i mean really?

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 22-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #26
Tobey
BF Ute...

Im surprised they didnt look at the Kuga sooner. They are everywhere in Europe, great looking car. Would defiantly put it to the captiva.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #27
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Slotted front rotors for the TTG write-up and pics. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimark
sorry to go sideways on this subject, but can someone tell me why in the last few years we have seen an explosion in fake vents on the front guards (see kuga and asian escape) ?? as I now see the new Tezz has them as well?
The Kuga's work well, whereas the escapes look like door handles in the wrong spot.
They are only on the Ghia Models and are not vents of any kind. Just a badge where the indicator light would normally be as the Ghia's now have the indicator in the wing mirrors.

Borla ATAK axle back exhaust.
Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
X Lume illuminated grille badge.
Injen CAI.
FPVF6X201 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post