Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default best fish shop

as the title says i thought i`d see best good old fish and chip shops are (good ones seem a little scarce these days), i have a favourite its called TOP OF THE BAY, just my opinion but i`d say for take away fish and chips it would be one of the best in Melbourne (Williamstown) it also has a posh seafood restaurant to the side of it but i have not tried it, as a plus you can eat while looking out over the bay at tables provided along the foreshore or prop in the car, the thought occured to me what a ripping meet up place for a feed prior to a cruise or a meet .....back on topic, does anyone else have any favourites does`nt have to be in Vic?

mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two I like:

D'Lish Fish in Sorrento (was part of Rex Hunt's little thingy)

My local is Kerrie Road, who are the best in my local area...

SPECIAL mention to the one in Traralgon. While fish was fine, they have Deep Fried Mars Bars. It's like an orgasm covered in batter...absolutely brilliant.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 01:45 AM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mmm sounds good, never had a battered mars bar , nice little run Melb to Traralgon nice food at the end of it , i`m a bit annoyed reservoir side of melb some/many fish shops are ok but some of the food is a bit lacking, i make the trip from northern burbs (melb) to sw melb 35 k`s every few weeks for bayside fish an greasies, bewdy i`ll mark those to in diary ;).
Old 25-10-2009, 02:43 AM   #4
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Stans Fish n Chips at the Forrestfield Forum.

By the way, i lived in Brisbane for a year and would you believe they don't do Snapper or Dufish...........couldnt handle it and had to go back to WA !!! Home sweet home.
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 03:30 AM   #5
Thornie
Off smelting

i like my own freshly caught from the ocean
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 04:30 AM   #6
5L
[ 5L ]

best fish shop in sa is SOTOS at semaphore. wins hands down the line up outside the shop in summer time shows how good it is.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The Boatshed down at Berowra Waters does a good basket, as does the place at Lane Cove in that little pedestrian walkway that lets people walk from the Longeville to Rosenthal ave / Burns Bay rd.

Now I'm hungry... haaa the news just said as I finished typing that the Berowra Waters ferry is out of action today.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

The best Fish n Chips for me on Bribie island are from Savige's Seafood, they have there own fishing boats so it's always fresh....

But the best Fish n Chips i have ever had was from here.... :sm_drool:

http://www.harryramsdens.co.uk/

....the one we used to go to was in Guiseley West Yorkshire in the UK, which was the original shop, now they are world wide...

....just a bit to far to nip out for a bag.... :

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Victoria, Albert Park... theres a Fish and chip shop that Virgin Airlines advertises, sure enough, it's award winning... and walking distance to the F1 ...

But my favourite is one in Kingscliff, just shy of the qld boarder... cant remember what its called, but its a fish shop... fresh from the ocean, you walk in, pick your fish.... then pick how you want it cooked.

Nothing like a nice grilled salmon with fresh king prawns, and a side of Calamari and chips , for $20
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGAU3220
Stans Fish n Chips at the Forrestfield Forum.

By the way, i lived in Brisbane for a year and would you believe they don't do Snapper or Dufish...........couldnt handle it and had to go back to WA !!! Home sweet home.
i was WA years ago , i think it may have been Geraldton, i asked the fish shop guy for a a piece of flake and chips he looked at me weird, he said "what is flake" i told him he said did`nt have it but i should try hokey? i had some ...... but not my cuppa tea :(, i don`t know if he was pulling my leg or not , i guess you have to go with the local cuisine or get the good stuff from home ;).
Old 25-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i was WA years ago , i think it may have been Geraldton, i asked the fish shop guy for a a piece of flake and chips he looked at me weird, he said "what is flake" i told him he said did`nt have it but i should try hokey? i had some ...... but not my cuppa tea :(, i don`t know if he was pulling my leg or not , i guess you have to go with the local cuisine or get the good stuff from home ;).
If you asked for flake he should have given you Shark,(same thing different name ) i believe.

I know what you mean about the weird looks, that's what i got asking for Snapper or Dufish in Brisbane.
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Morgans seafood at Scarborough on the Northside of Brisbane is the ultimate fish and chip shop. You can also buy fresh seafood there too, line is always out the door.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #13
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNBXR
Victoria, Albert Park... theres a Fish and chip shop that Virgin Airlines advertises, sure enough, it's award winning... and walking distance to the F1
Any idea what its called or where it is. I live there now, just moved in a few weeks ago and will try it out.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #14
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't read thru the thread so maybe its been mentioned already but theres a fish and chip shop in Batemans bay that is also a fish coop. They clean your fish fresh and drop the frame down through a whole in the floor to the pelicans. Someone on here will know what its called. Another good one was the fish coop in Bermagui.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
Haven't read thru the thread so maybe its been mentioned already but theres a fish and chip shop in Batemans bay that is also a fish coop.
Last I heard the council was closing that place down as the council wanted to develop the site.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #16
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5L
best fish shop in sa is SOTOS at semaphore. wins hands down the line up outside the shop in summer time shows how good it is.
I will agree that he is good down there Shane deffinalty one of the bests! ... But I also think on par if not better is Redwood Park Chicken Bar and the Fish n Chip shop where that big round about is in Mt Barker. ... It depend's on what you like. The best CHIPS though is Souvlaki Bros. at Glenelg! 100% Hands down! .. I'm wog I've tried them all :P hahaha jk jk
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #17
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plenty of good ones in north queensland we dont see flake up here have spanish mackrel as the standard fish . There is a fish and chip shop near the castle motor lodge in Bowen I cant remember its name but they used to have reef fish on the menu coral trout etc that was years ago when I was there but it was one of the best feeds I have had from a fish and chip shop
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #18
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

The WORST one I have ever been too was in the Grampians (not saying the name but,), It's an absolute Rip Off and I ordered a Yiros, and it came with Gravy in some tip top bread with lettuce :togo: ... I mean.... Come on?
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 25-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #19
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My favourite is the fish and chip shop in Ferguson street Williamstown.
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #20
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Morgans seafood at Scarborough on the Northside of Brisbane is the ultimate fish and chip shop. You can also buy fresh seafood there too, line is always out the door.
^^^Have got to agree with that, although its not exactly a cheap night out lol
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 02:03 AM   #21
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
You're damn bloody right they are!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 03:09 AM   #22
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
The WORST one I have ever been too was in the Grampians (not saying the name but,), It's an absolute Rip Off and I ordered a Yiros, and it came with Gravy in some tip top bread with lettuce :togo: ... I mean.... Come on?
Ralphy's? (still them)?

I have been to Halls Gap 7 times (but I haven't been for almost 8 years - it IS my favourite spot in Victoria), and I got a breadcrumbed chicken from there, and by God I spent more time chewing on fat than meat...

They are a mob that do not know much about any sort of fare...only high fair for fare.

My local Charcoal Chicken owner..he's a champ. He does fantastic lamb Hyros/Jyros (different places, different spelling), legendary chicken, and even fish, but he knows how to do things right.

Some people though will produce crap just because they know they have 100% market share. In Halls Gap, only one big takeout joint...he's laughing.

Don't snap my undies.

Last edited by uranium_death; 26-10-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 26-10-2009, 03:14 AM   #23
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
But the best Fish n Chips i have ever had was from here.... :sm_drool:

http://www.harryramsdens.co.uk/
In 1994/95, Harry Ramsdens opened their first (and only?) store on the corner of Burwood Highway and Springvale Road.

There was a massive line of customers at first, so we steered clear for a little while.
Eventually, we went and purchased.

Holy flying batpoo Superman, their food was the soggiest most mushed up pile of garbage I ever ate (at least from a Fish and Chip shop...my Aunt's cooking was never any good either). I was 11/12 at the time, but I felt like the people there had mistaken my age for either a one year old, or an 80 year old (with no teeth either way, for those not aware of the connotation I am placing on that...). The chips were just mushed potato, the fish was pretty crappo, and there were NO potato cakes!!!

I credit Harry Ramsdens with the ACTUAL legendary advertising campaign: "Pre-order your Christmas Fish and Chips NOW".

But that aside, they were terrible here. Fish and Chip shops are best owned by Italians or Greeks, but my local choice is Asian owned and still very good.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 26-10-2009, 05:27 AM   #24
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
Any idea what its called or where it is. I live there now, just moved in a few weeks ago and will try it out.

Pretty sure Blue Waters Fish & Chips, 139 Victoria Avenue is their web posted address... looked it up on google maps, followed the path that i walked while staying in albert park for the Formula 1.... and yeah, it is awesome fish and chips....

theres a couple of nice ones in that area, but that was my favourite....

I cant wait till March when i get to go eat there again Bring on the 2010 F1 GP!
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #25
FPV GT
I Like To Shake It

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTTuS
i like my own freshly caught from the ocean
Yep, cant beat catching your own then cooking it.

Regards
Paul

2016 S550 TY GT Coupe....some loud bits and some glass bits

I like My GT SHAKEN, and Blown
Happiness is a TY S550, a 1911 semi automatic, and the Lovey Lizzie by my side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Lizzie
whilst looking at man riding a pee wee 50
"That sure does nothing for his masculinity"
FPV GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #26
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Ralphy's? (still them)?

I have been to Halls Gap 7 times (but I haven't been for almost 8 years - it IS my favourite spot in Victoria), and I got a breadcrumbed chicken from there, and by God I spent more time chewing on fat than meat...

They are a mob that do not know much about any sort of fare...only high fair for fare.

Some people though will produce crap just because they know they have 100% market share. In Halls Gap, only one big takeout joint...he's laughing.

Too right thats the one!! ... Yeah Halls Gap is my favourite Location to be. Go there every easter!

But yeah It's because he's the only one there lol. Nobody will drive into stall just to bring it back. And it's expensive.!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 26-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #27
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
Too right thats the one!! ... Yeah Halls Gap is my favourite Location to be. Go there every easter!

But yeah It's because he's the only one there lol. Nobody will drive into stall just to bring it back. And it's expensive.!
Yeah, we used to do most of our shopping in Stawell, because the township of Halls Gap itself is expensive.

Lucky...great place to go. Fantastic walks...no real camping though...only sites.

But yeah, there is a bistro about half a kilometre down the road from the town I think...far better by memory, but I was still a kid at the time (10-15 years ago)

Don't snap my undies.