Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
5L
[ 5L ]

Default surging while cruising when cold

last night on the way to work, i pulled out onto the main rd and hit 65km/h and cruised on cruise control. after a couple of seconds my car developed a violent surging problem. so i put my foot down and it went away.

took cruise control off and maintained 60 km/h and it started again.
changed to 3rd gear and tried it at 40km/h and it was still there.

ended up putting it in 5th at 60km/h and it went away.

about 10km's later i thought id try it again and it all seemed fine.

leaving work this morning it did the same thing, until it warmed up where it was fine again.

anyone know what could be causing the problem?

cheers shane :togo:

[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
5L
[ 5L ]

i think i found the problem, changed the spark plugs on my car and when i pulled out the spark plug on cylinder 8 i noticed the spark plug has cracked.

ive never seen a spark plug crack before

i took it for a drive and it drove normal again :P
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 12-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
5L
[ 5L ]

the culprit

i didnt put this set of spark plugs in, only real reason i can think of why it has cracked, is the MSD leads dont "pop" when you put them on, so the mechanic probably kept trying to push on it and has slightly cracked then over time it has gotten worst.

seems logical enough

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 12-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It's good when you get an answer isn't it? The fact that you answered it yourself is even better! :-)

I reckon you're on the money with how the plug cracked.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
5L
[ 5L ]

i wasnt really expecting an answer, but you never know the forum has answered many questions i have had in the past.

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 12-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I reckon it would be a cracked plug.

Try #8 first, just a hunch.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #7
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Nice try Peuty but no way it would be a cracked plug.
My grandfather's, brother-in-law's, next door neighbour's uncle had exactly those symptoms and fixed it with a wheel alignment. Either that, or replace the heater hoses.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
Nice try Peuty but no way it would be a cracked plug.
My grandfather's, brother-in-law's, next door neighbour's uncle had exactly those symptoms and fixed it with a wheel alignment. Either that, or replace the heater hoses.
My cousin's boss's wife's uncle's was fixed by reprogramming the remote to the car so I have NFI what you're talking about.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

glad you got it sorted Shane, and quickly. Little things like this sometimes can take ages to find.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont