Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 21-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up FIESTA Better Than Corolla Cars Guide

2009 Carsguide Car of the Year finalists

20 November 2009

Ford Fiesta

THE baby of the Ford family faces the compact heroes of Japan and Korea but comes up trumps in the light-car class. It looks good, is efficient, but - best of all - is surprisingly sporty and enjoyable to drive. A good reason to look beyond a Corolla.

Price: from $16,450
Engine: 1.6-litre four, twin-overhead camshafts
Output: 88kW/6000 revs, 152Nm/4050revs, 6.1L/100km, 143g/km

Old 21-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now if the buying public would realise this. Most of us have known this since the Fiesta landed on our shores in 2004. If only the aircon wasn't so gutless...
dannyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Fi.ES.TA

Rapid i also said the air-con was but if you shut off the passenger side vents it makes a massive difference im having to turn my air-con down now as it gets way to cold try it people ;)
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
south21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi.ES.TA
Rapid i also said the air-con was but if you shut off the passenger side vents it makes a massive difference im having to turn my air-con down now as it gets way to cold try it people ;)

By shutting the side vents all your doing is forcing more air to come out of the centre vents it's not making the air colder.

regards

south21
south21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Guys i'm looking to buy one of these things for the inlaws. Is there an issue with the aircon not handling our climate? I live in QLD so the aircon needs to be effective....

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Zetec-4-Me
Finally have my Zetec!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
Guys i'm looking to buy one of these things for the inlaws. Is there an issue with the aircon not handling our climate? I live in QLD so the aircon needs to be effective....
I live SouthWest of Brissie (& recently we've been having 37oC+ temps) and my WS aircon keeps me comfortably cool! I did originally think that it took a long time to cool the car initially (when I first hopped in) but since I've had the windows tinted the darkest possible, the cars cooler generally so it gets cold a lot quicker.

I know that a few people seem to have problems with the air-con but thankfully I don't have an issue with mine at all. I must admit that the Accent I traded for the WS had better aircon as it cooled a hot car quicker, but seeing as it's been especially hot here lately, it's not struggling to keep up either :-)
Zetec-4-Me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
Fi.ES.TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by south21
By shutting the side vents all your doing is forcing more air to come out of the centre vents it's not making the air colder.

regards

south21

Thats what i should of said but it definatley is colder with them shut off
due to all the air being forced through the 2 drivers vents.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
Don't know about the new WS Aircon but in the WP/WQ series the aircon is complete rubbish! ... it pretty much just takes the edge of the heat in the cabin and makes it bearable, certainly doesn't make it cool as such.

Iv'e owned both a WQ Zetec and now the WQ XR4 and the aircon in both cars is garbage.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a WQ Zetec..no problems with my aircon. Have you had the gas checked ??? I also have the windows tinted, don't know if that helps ???
Old 22-11-2009, 12:44 AM   #10
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you leave the car out in the 40c+ sun for half the day then jump in, it does really struggle to cool the car down, but if you left from somewhere undercover it is able to keep the car cool inside at any sane temp. Certainly more than enough for anywhere in coastal QLD which doesnt get very hot anyway
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #11
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've had a fair few days over 40 recently. We noticed if we put the sun shade up, the air con worked perfectly... It seems that left in the hot sun... those dash plastics get super hot and take ages to cool down..

As soon as we put the sun shade up it was 90% better.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where did you get a sun shade that fit the window, none of the ones I have fit the strange dimensions of the thing
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
StormyKnight
'09 Vision 5 Dr Man Zetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
... It seems that left in the hot sun... those dash plastics get super hot and take ages to cool down..

Thats a very valid point, radiant heat off the dash will continue to heat up the air especially around the passengers faces - where they feel it the most!

The other issue is the large front glass area, a lot of sun can come in there.
Old 22-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #14
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Where did you get a sun shade that fit the window, none of the ones I have fit the strange dimensions of the thing
Thats a very good question because none fit properly.. (hurry up and make one ford!!!!)

It takes a bit of fiddling but you can get a normal one to stay with a bit of holding your tongue in the right spot kinda thing.... As soon as we did that though its been 1000 times better.

Like stormy said, the radiant heat of that huge plastic dash area takes ages to cool.. But that all said it really isnt as good as other small cars ive had before.. You wont be sweating, but you wont be cold either....
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I thought we were the only ones re: the really average air con!

The WS definitely deserves that sort of praise from Cars Guide, even my father in law is impressed with them (works at a dealership and sees only the faults in cars)
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #16
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the air con in my WP Fiesta Zetec seems to work great. it will spend all day outside in really hot temperatures, and about 5 seconds after i turn the car on the air coming out of the vents is cold. if i leave it for about 30 seconds before i get in the car its comfortable temp to set off in.
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post