Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #61
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The Super pursuit is the biggest seller and id say will stay, it just doesn't need or warrant the "bigger" engine.
Would be the closest thing to an Aussie Spec GT500 (Leaf Springs)... and i like it :
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #62
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Would be the closest thing to an Aussie Spec GT500 (Leaf Springs)... and i like it :
But its a freakin ute!!!!

Old 06-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #63
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
But its a freakin ute!!!!

I'll be glad to see FPV Step the SP Up, hell with big power and hopefully some 285 Rears to fill those Big FG Ute Guards they will have something to finally crush the Maloo R8 Once and for all. :
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #64
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
I'll be glad to see FPV Step the SP Up, hell with big power and hopefully some 285 Rears to fill those Big FG Ute Guards they will have something to finally crush the Maloo R8 Once and for all. :
Well you are right there...plenty of room in the rear for some wide rubber..... Still agree with 4V....its just not right IMO. It feels wierd....its a ute FFS!!!

Then again, i never really got the 'performance' ute anyway....two door sportcar my .........

Seeing that Maloo R8 running along in that Global Green Challenge is still one of the most ridiculous things i've ever seen. Not just because a 6.2 L V8 was in a fuel economy challenge, but also the very fact a manufacturer builds such a thing in the first place LOL!

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #65
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

GT-H... hardly that inspiring.

But a 360 kw ute, that would be exciting. Yes, its a ute, but why even have FPV utes if you take that attitude?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #66
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked

But a 360 kw ute, that would be exciting. Yes, its a ute, but why even have FPV utes if you take that attitude?
They shouldn't......... :

Hey just my opinion guys, please don't flame me.......

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 06-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #67
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
They shouldn't......... :

Hey just my opinion guys, please don't flame me.......
Im with you, never understood the interest in sports utes... FFS, its just a ute!!!
Maybe FPV and HSV should sell wheelbarrows and trailers too!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #68
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

FPV utes have got race pedigree an XR8 ute with an FPV engine won the V8 ute series racing this year and you can buy one almost the same from your ford dealer FPV make them because people want to buy them. The FPV ute will get the same power as the GT same as happens now.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #69
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Leaf springs cant beat them at the race track, and the tradesman love them too they carry weight if needed and much better tax break than a sedan for those owning a business that claim a work vehicle...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #70
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
I'll be glad to see FPV Step the SP Up, hell with big power and hopefully some 285 Rears to fill those Big FG Ute Guards...
I'm with you. If the GT-H comes with more fruit and a bigger pulley, I'd like the same available in the ute. Plus I need the extra power to pull my 6 x 4 box trailer. ;)

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #71
b2tf
not here much anymore

Back up on the ute bashing - not all of us have to cart kids around in the back! :hihi:
Old 06-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #72
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Back up on the ute bashing - not all of us have to cart kids around in the back! :hihi:
You would still use the ute for that!
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 11:21 PM   #73
YOOT
Banned

When Pizati did that review on Top Gear Aust of the original phase III, it kind of ruinded the whole "amazingness" of the car. It was quite ordinary really. The only amazing thing was that it went fast in a stratight line in 1970s, other than that is was just a Falcon.

The BA Xr6 Turbo is about the same impact the GTHO Phase I had, it got everyone talking, and it was just a Falcon that went fast. The FG Turbo is Phase II if you like.

A new GTHO would easily live up to the name, it just that about 2000 people on this forum think it should defy the laws of physics. In reality it would be awesome if it was a GT with more power, lots more power!

If Ford can sell Cobra GTs with stripes, then a $90K GT with a blower for example would do just fine.

I'd have one just to say I have GTHO. Couldn't give a damn what was under the hood, it will never get used. Not like a real supercar!
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 01:27 AM   #74
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Im with you, never understood the interest in sports utes... FFS, its just a ute!!!
As long as it sells, who cares. As you've said many times they are there to make money.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:37 AM   #75
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wolud any1 accept a GTHO if it was anything other than a track weapon for the street? I know i wouldnt. If you take away the essence of the Original in that respect it is all pointless think of a falcon that hands it to all the rice farting EVO's and WRX's and most of all has to make the W427 look ordinary. anything less and they shouldnt even try.
A gt500 would be a great starting point but it couldn't be "hand me down" drivetrain
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 01:44 AM   #76
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

its not just a ute , its also tax deductible toy
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 02:35 AM   #77
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Think we lost the battle on this issue a long time ago. In a way, if they are going to have 'sports utes' then they should get the same options as the sedan...its only fair. Then they can have the lower price and weight saving to go along with the true ute-based rear end.

At least Ford has stuck with the spirit of the ute and left a load carrying rear end in it, holden has basically built a sedan with no covered rear.... yes yes i know the rated numbers say otherwise but anyone that says a HSV maloo is better at carrying a load in the rear than an FPV ute is a nong......pure and simple.

Its the natural progression of things i suppose.....build a ute off the sedan, then give it the sedan powetrain. Oh wait it can't handle it, never mind, try to make the ute handle it better, ok not too bad, oh more power now, oh look its a two door sportscar.......oh wait...THAT"S NOT RIGHT....

Its bad enough trying to get 1.8 tonne family sedans to handle right, with the modern ride quality, plenty of features, factory warranty etc. Getting a car with set up for noah's boat trailer (legitamately so given its original intention) to do it is that much harder. I have nothing against utes in general, and up to XR level it makes sense (tradies utes with a bit of sport) but to make utes that have the primary purpose to be driven as 'sports' cars is a bit much.....

Back on topic, they need to stop this continual speculation in the media. Haven't they got anything better to spitball about (e.g. the I4T and LiLPG...which are atcually confirmed to be happening....)

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 07-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #78
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
I agree & also think it is blatantly saying 'we don't have the guts to make a GT-HO' or 'we don't have the confidence in the car to call it a GT-HO'. I'd prefer to see a new name for a new product - unless of course they make an homologation special as the GT-HO originally was!

How about GT-M (monster), GT-B (blown), GT-350 or 360 (kW rating). If the latter you could then have a GT-360R to signify a track-oriented version.

tezxr8man I'm in two minds about it. For one thing I don't think that things people commonly suggest such as going for a stripped-out base model interior would actually achieve noticeable weight savings. Eg how is a dual zone climate control system going to weigh any more than a single zone one? With modern elec motors etc are manual windows going to save more than 200 grams?

When starting with an 1800kg behemoth, and accepting that large-scale carbon fibre implementation isn't going to happen at a sensible cost, chasing every last gram is futile. Eg it has to have aircon. Let a race team rip it off (I'm pretty sure race regs allow that), but who buys a car without aircon in Australia?

We have to accept that FPV can't build an M5/E63, they won't build enough to support the development costs, if it happens it will be an 80/20 version - 80% of the result for 20% of the effort. Leveraging the GT500 is a must, as opposed to the B-series FPV where they had to pioneer their own development. I think the W427 is a good model and also provided some lessons - eg such a huge amount of effort & cost of the engine installation, both in development and production is something to be avoided! For example I'm sure the customer would be happy not to pay for a complete drivetrain they don't end up receiving!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post