Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 19-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #421
fromBAonwards
Banned

the laser beam was probably mixed up in all three vehicles.
but that's past, 1st fine ever for no reason.
Old 19-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #422
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVR73
Making mods illegal - come on now thats just stupid. mods dont kill people, bad choices do. speed and the sudden stop too. you could have a modded car owned by someone who drives properly at the speed limit and a ******************************** driver in a stock Falcon being a moron at high speed and killing himself. the mods dont mean ****************

get rid of cars - that would be a big help. need personal transports that are one person only and dont go on roads. or someone to invent teleportation so we dont have to drive to get somewhere (just being silly here) - maybe one day such a thing will exist.

why do we all need a car that sits five people when 99% of the time its only one person in the car or you and a friend or a partner.
I drive a ute. not much safer if at all but at least I cant kill more than me and someone else if I make a choice to be irresponsible.

I wonder how many lives the motor vehicle has ended since its invention. its not the cars fault really, its the nut behind the wheel but if we didnt have cars, this wouldnt of happened. It must be a staggering figure. billions of lives lost perhaps

Finally - what is it with this current generation and even some of mine and in fact, all generations of the last three centuries. what is so great about consuming large amount of alcohol and or drugs. it aint gonna fix your problems, it doesnt make you feel or look better, more attractive to the opposite sex. its just temporary pleasure. dont go after such a thing.

I don't disagree... in fact, I strongly agree... but that doesn't mean that some bright spark pollie that is looking to get some brownie points won't introduce the idea... with all the media attention, it won't take too much to get it through.

Some recent comments by Premier Brumby, as reported at http://www.theage.com.au/national/jo...l?autostart=1:
Quote:
Premier John Brumby said today the Government would reconsider all options to slow down young drivers, including speed limiters and confiscating cars.

‘‘I don’t think more demerit points is going to solve this problem with the type of driver who is flagrantly disregarding the rules and driving at high and irresponsible speeds,’’ he told Radio 3AW.

‘‘We’ve got to look at other things, whether that’s confiscating the cars for long periods of time, whether it’s selling the cars. You could sell the cars and put all the funds in a victims of crime fund.

‘‘You could crush the cars. I think we’ve got to look at that.

‘‘I’m not saying we’re going to do these things, but I’m saying they’re on the table and we need a community discussion because nobody wants to see a repeat of some of the horrible, horrible accidents that we’ve seen in recent times.’’
Even if there is community discussion... I doubt there'll be many voices against crushing/confiscating/limiting, etc.

I fail to see how confiscating/crushing the car will solve anything... they'll just go out and buy a hunk of junk and do it all over again - and in the hunk of junk, they're more likely to be seriously injured/killed.
Old 19-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #423
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromBAonwards
the laser beam was probably mixed up in all three vehicles.
but that's past, 1st fine ever for no reason.
You're getting off track again...

Old 19-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #424
XT2XR

I think all that can be said has been.
Old 19-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #425
fromBAonwards
Banned

i am not the only one getting of track, what is there are limit here to how much you can post? , come on i never hear that "getting of track" in real life while chatting to 10 or more people about what ever in relationship to vehicles.
Old 19-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #426
fromBAonwards
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT2XR

is this statement relevant? , see , i do the same and i get punished for it:(
it doesn't take a degree in literature to work it out.
Old 19-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #427
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:

Nothing more I can say without breaking the rules...
Old 19-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #428
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Annoying..............
Old 19-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #429
kezzer

Quote:
i got caught driving 95 in 70k zone, and it was not my fault it was the fault of two other drivers racing and coming up behind me one overtaking the other, while i was just doing under 60 , i got pulled over for no reason, imagine the amount of injustice i've experienced there and then? but i did not argue i just paid the fine.
Quote:
Still , so far I've dragged a few Di V6 commos, and they had no chance, they keep up to 50 and then i slowly pull away.
No, you were racing most likely, being a hoon, endangering peoples lives. Even if you weren't in this case, i'm still glad you got a fine.
Old 19-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #430
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVR73
Making mods illegal - come on now thats just stupid. mods dont kill people, bad choices do. speed and the sudden stop too. you could have a modded car owned by someone who drives properly at the speed limit and a ******************************** driver in a stock Falcon being a moron at high speed and killing himself. the mods dont mean ****************

I wonder how many lives the motor vehicle has ended since its invention. its not the cars fault really, its the nut behind the wheel but if we didnt have cars, this wouldnt of happened. It must be a staggering figure. billions of lives lost perhaps

Agreed, even if mods were illegal, people would still do stupid things.
The guy in the BF didn't have his license, unregistered etc, no amount of laws are going to keep him off the road, a car accident will, and thats the sad point of it all.

Look at it the other way, how many lives have been saved with the invention of the automobile?? I would definetly say more.
Old 19-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #431
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/la...ZhbGw9MQ%3D%3D Good reading here

Highlight is the 21yo being caught driving Porsche Cayenne GTS Turbo at 181km/h in a 110 zone. For comparison, the minimum speed required to keep a Boeing 737 airborne is 190km/h.

Again, I ask, why do we have cars that can go this fast. Is there a genuine reason?
Old 19-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #432
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
"Three boys, 17, 12 and 14 from the local area were also in the car."
: :

People have commented earlier in this thread about why a 15 year old was out at 2am... WTF is a 12 year old doing out at 5am? Where are the parents? Why aren't they wondering where their 12 year old is at 5 in the morning?

EDIT-
Later on in the article: "Further west, an Ararat man was caught by police doing 138km/h in a100km/h zone early this morning.

The probationary driver was intercepted at 5.10 am travelling east on the Western Highway in Dobie."

IMHO the media have a lot to answer for... Sure, he was caught doing 38km/h over the limit - but on the Western Highway - what looks to be a nice long straight stretch of road and, at 5:10 hardly likely to be anyone around. http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...Australia&z=14

Nowhere near the same order of magnitude of stupidity, so why mention it in the same article?
I have purposfully tried to stayed out of this thread as there is obviously a huge amount of emotion being expressed, and some things being said that probably have little relevance to the people affected by this.
My first point is to pass on my heartfelt condolences to those affected by this horror, family ,friends ,aquaintances, and particularly the emergency response crews who deal with this on a far too frequent basis.
I have 2 teenage children ready to sit for their tests, and I, like all parents ,pray this is not the outcome for my kids.
At this point it is hardly relevant wether our kids cause this stuff, or are unwilling victims of it.
I wonder how much of this carnage could be avoided if we ,as parents, took the responsibility of really engaging with our kids, talking/listening to them, knowing their mates, knowing where they are at 2am.... A lot of us seem to rely too much on authorities (school,police, courts.to look out for their diciplining)
Second point, am I the only one who thinks the apparent attempt to justify the actions in the above "edit" is somewhat frightening?
Old 19-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #433
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
I have purposfully tried to stayed out of this thread as there is obviously a huge amount of emotion being expressed, and some things being said that probably have little relevance to the people affected by this.
My first point is to pass on my heartfelt condolences to those affected by this horror, family ,friends ,aquaintances, and particularly the emergency response crews who deal with this on a far too frequent basis.
I have 2 teenage children ready to sit for their tests, and I, like all parents ,pray this is not the outcome for my kids.
At this point it is hardly relevant wether our kids cause this stuff, or are unwilling victims of it.
I wonder how much of this carnage could be avoided if we ,as parents, took the responsibility of really engaging with our kids, talking/listening to them, knowing their mates, knowing where they are at 2am.... A lot of us seem to rely too much on authorities (school,police, courts.to look out for their diciplining)
Second point, am I the only one who thinks the apparent attempt to justify the actions in the above "edit" is somewhat frightening?
I wasn't trying to justify anything. Where did I say that it was okay to do 138km/h in a 110km/h zone? I was merely trying to point out that the level of stupidity displayed in the two scenarios differ by orders of magnitude, yet the media are linking the two as if they're one and the same thing.

I'm sure there are many that believe exceeding the limit by 28km/h on a straight stretch of divided highway, likely deserted, is one and the same as exceeding the limit by 60+km/h through suburban streets, weaving around other vehicles with an overloaded vehicle and passengers hanging out of windows. I'm not one of them.

EDIT: Just noticed it was a 100km/h zone, not 110, so 38km/h over the limit... but my point still stands, it's not the same thing - so the punishment shouldn't be the same, and the media shouldn't be trying to make it out to be the same.

Last edited by balthazarr; 19-01-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 19-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #434
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
Highlight is the 21yo being caught driving Porsche Cayenne GTS Turbo at 181km/h in a 110 zone. For comparison, the minimum speed required to keep a Boeing 737 airborne is 190km/h.

Again, I ask, why do we have cars that can go this fast. Is there a genuine reason?
I'm actually beginning to think the same way. Not to the extent of some that say limit the max speed to 110km/h, cause that is stupid and we need to overtake occasionally, but something like 150km/h would be acceptable I think.
There is absolutely no reason to have family cars that can do 180km/h+.

Before anyone jumps up and down about legitimate drag racing being hindered by this, anyone that wants to race could simply get their car flashed to allow higher speeds for drag racing. Yes this would allow cars to get around the safety feature, but not many mums and dads would go getting their car flashed, so it would remove some of the possibilities of this in future.

Maybe this could link in with the smart card idea from earlier on in this thread so when you get to the track, an official will swipe their card to unlock your car for the event, then as you leave they can swipe it again putting it back to 'public roads' programming.
Old 19-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #435
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
I'm actually beginning to think the same way. Not to the extent of some that say limit the max speed to 110km/h, cause that is stupid and we need to overtake occasionally, but something like 150km/h would be acceptable I think.
There is absolutely no reason to have family cars that can do 180km/h+.

Before anyone jumps up and down about legitimate drag racing being hindered by this, anyone that wants to race could simply get their car flashed to allow higher speeds for drag racing. Yes this would allow cars to get around the safety feature, but not many mums and dads would go getting their car flashed, so it would remove some of the possibilities of this in future.

Maybe this could link in with the smart card idea from earlier on in this thread so when you get to the track, an official will swipe their card to unlock your car for the event, then as you leave they can swipe it again putting it back to 'public roads' programming.
Still not going to stop people from doing 120km/h in a 60km/h zone though is it??
Old 19-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #436
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
Look at it the other way, how many lives have been saved with the invention of the automobile?? I would definetly say more.
Lives saved from what exactly???

I would say that there has been way more car accidents since the invention of the automobile...

Well, more than there was before it was invented....
Old 19-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #437
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

May as well speed limit cars to 10kp/h, seems some people can't even control their car at low speeds:

Quote:
The woman, aged in her 60s, has told police she was leaving the level-one car park of an office block on George Street, Parramatta, when she lost control of her white Toyota Corolla and hit the building's brick wall about 11am.
http://www.theage.com.au/national/wo...0119-mid9.html

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
Old 19-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #438
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Lives saved from what exactly???

I would say that there has been way more car accidents since the invention of the automobile...

Well, more than there was before it was invented....
My uncle was bitten by a snake a few years ago now and was rushed by car to hospital. Potentially saving his life.

Just a small example. I wonder how many people were killed or maimed from being thrown off a horse, or similiar?

Only more accidents because populations have grown access to a car is quite easy to get your hands on. Imagine if everyone had horses on the road in 2010, much easier to have an accident on a horse. Controlling a beast is harder then controlling a machine.
Old 19-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #439
fromBAonwards
Banned

as i said, cars up to 1000cc to be the only cars allowed to all P plate drivers and up to 1500cc for good behaving ones.
Another thing , Police should have the engine TURN OFF system for all cars that have electronic fuel injection and sat nav system so they can turn the car off and stop the pursuit if a pursuit occurs, or simply limit the cars speed and power depending on the ZONE and the road, something that pit stops have had for many years now in motor racing or in Japan where you can not go over a certain limit, but once you cross to the race track it enables your car to full potential where you can speed legally as much as you want.
Old 19-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #440
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8

Annoying..............

We are going round and round in circles..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Old 19-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #441
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Still not going to stop people from doing 120km/h in a 60km/h zone though is it??
That would be why I highlighted it would remove some of the possibilities of it happening again.

There will be no one-fix-for-all solution for this problem, it will be a multiple-fronted attack if you wish. With each little step hopefully reducing road trauma without reducing fun, or restricting everyday life too much.
Old 19-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #442
kezzer

Limiting p-platers to 1000cc-1500cc cars will not do anything, niether will banning rwd cars for p-platers.

Don't know about you, but many jap ricers are awd, and alot of people love going 120km/h around corners in them. FWD cars are marginally unsafe compared to RWD.
I would MUCH rather loose control in a RWD car then a FWD drive.

Your all missing the point, this is a minority, not the majority. There will always be ways to kill yourself in a car. Taking p-platers out of safer larger cars and putting them in smaller unsafe cars is plain stupid.
Old 19-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #443
fromBAonwards
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
Limiting p-platers to 1000cc-1500cc cars will not do anything, niether will banning rwd cars for p-platers.

Don't know about you, but many jap ricers are awd, and alot of people love going 120km/h around corners in them. FWD cars are marginally unsafe compared to RWD.
I would MUCH rather loose control in a RWD car then a FWD drive.

Your all missing the point, this is a minority, not the majority. There will always be ways to kill yourself in a car. Taking p-platers out of safer larger cars and putting them in smaller unsafe cars is plain stupid.

yes.

just imagine an EGG, you hold it up and then you let go , it brakes in to pieces and stuff comes out.

that is how every car behaves no matter whether its $13999 or $450000 worth, if you speed and lose control it wont save you.
Old 19-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #444
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam

We are going round and round in circles..

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 19-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #445
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

+6

Anything usefull has being posted i think, it's starting to drift way of course now....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Closed Thread