Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Ford becomes top-selling brand in Europe

Quote:
Ford has been making some real progress here in North America, with sales up 37 percent in the first quarter. That's good news to be sure, and new reports indicate that Blue Oval may be experiencing as much success across The Pond. TheDetroit Free Press reports that Ford is now the number-one selling brand in the ultra-competitive Europe market after March sales in the top 19 Euro countries outpaced the industry with a 11.5 percent sales gain. Ford's sales boost during March boosted the company's overall market share to 10.4 percent, up .4 percent versus the year ago period.

The big reason for Ford's sales dominance in Europe is the new Fiesta. The Fiesta accounted for 68,000 of the company's 192,500 sales for the month, up 28.6 percent versus last March. The Fiesta appears to be picking up sales momentum in Europe, even after finishing 2009 as the second highest-selling vehicle in Europe behind the Volkswagen Golf. The Fiesta, which was launched late in 2008 in Europe, arrives in U.S. dealerships this summer.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/15/r...and-in-europe/

Old 16-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This should be a minor line in a ad soon.
Ford so often do not use this stuff in Au
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
sbcb
BA Xr8

Great to hear.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Fan-flamin-tastic!
Old 16-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Great news indeed!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford should be pushing on the fact that European cars are peceived as great quality and prestigious, yet the Fiesta is a favourite out there...sort of make it food for thought.

'How can a car priced below its 'prestigious' competitiors (Beamer, Merc, Peugeot etc.) outsell them all in Europe?'

Just an idea...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunatly AU people are cheap and will choose a Getz or some put putter like that, the fiesta is a quality car which is why here it costs just that little bit extra than competitors, worth it though
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Thats great news, if only Aus would follow there lead!!
Old 16-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well they hit the nail on the head with the Fiesta, I couldn't imagine driving any other car, and after a huge trip today the experience keeps getting better. I only hope the new Focus doesn't burn Euro customers. While I love it, and American consumers are rejoicing, many Euro buyers seem turned off by the car. Fingers crossed, as this will be the car that seals the deal in reference to Fords sales dominance.
Old 16-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
I only hope the new Focus doesn't burn Euro customers. While I love it, and American consumers are rejoicing, many Euro buyers seem turned off by the car.
Where & how do you come to the conclusion Euro buyers are turned off by the yet to be released Focus??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford is the top selling brand in europe? I don't believe it. FWD car, how can it be. Who would have thought.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

New Fiesta is a ripper little car, not surprised by the results, would have one for the Mrs if it made any sence but sadly it's too small for us :(
FPV8U is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Great news and what a shame Fords do not sell better here. Great cars for the money. Punch well above their price weight.

Sure the Focus is not the best looking in its class but when I drove all of them when my daughters were looking we all agreed the Focus was easily the best in its class.

Fords deserve to sell really well here but marketing is poor and just go for price, price, list of features, price, price and warranty. And price.

An intelligent guy I know (who is quite handy in the pits so should know better) recently bought Korean Kia Cerato. Sure it looks great - like a Lexus IS250 mini clone - and has plenty of features for the $$ but I bet the quality is poor. Admittedly he is an accountant.

His brother has a Sang Syoung or whatever those stupid Korean things are called and it has been off the road for 75% of it's life.

I reckon Ford should be selling way more cars in Oz but Ford marketing needs help and Australians are basically stupid - motoring enthusiasts excepted of course.

If you don't believe me check out they way Australians vote. LOL
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #14
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Ford is the top selling brand in europe? I don't believe it. FWD car, how can it be. Who would have thought.
easy ,smaller town roads( width), plus short travel distances means highest quality /for size /price car wins and thats their market ,but you already know that must ask the stepfather about the aftermarket service ,they must be doing something that aus au dont do ...surely .a good win none the less go blue
Old 16-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #15
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
The Fiesta accounted for 68,000 of the company's 192,500 sales for the month
Per month! That really does highlight how small our market is doesn't it?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #16
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Congrats on a great result to Ford. When will they start producing this gem outta Thailand???

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
Yep, good point. The last time I checked Europe's population was 400 times more than ours; I lost count after 793,003,981.
In other words they're selling all they can make, and I wonder just how much this demand is effecting Au sales of Fiesta. When it's start rolling off Thai production lines, we'll get it cheaper, and I think it will then do for Ford Au what it's doing for their Euro counterparts.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #17
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Where & how do you come to the conclusion Euro buyers are turned off by the yet to be released Focus??
Where? Sitting at home in front of my iMac on a Friday night. How? A simple look at Euro Ford Forums reveals all buddy.

Many of them feel the car is the bastard child of American and European Ford design. I for one think it looks great, although I'd like it to be a bit more wild. The MK1 Focus was a "love it or hate it design" and the conservative MK2 was no exception, as it turns out the MK3 has divided opinions too. That's not to say all Euro buyers hate the car, but heck even Top Gear said they were amazed at some of the comments about the looks of the MK3 Focus, as they like it.
Old 16-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #18
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
yup. Ford sells more cars in europe in one year than the entire car sales from all companies in australia in two years.

No wonder the Intergalactic ford corp looks at the falcon like it's some backwater novelty car
Old 16-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #19
G6E Turbo 2

I have a G6ET and my wife hasd a new Fiesta Zetec
She loves it, It is a great little car
It is an Auto so my only complaint is 1.4 lt is a slug
But It is not mine It is hers and she loves it

We traded a 12 month old Subaru Impreza in on it because
it was not good value for money and we had endless
waranty issues with it And the fuel consumption was poor
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #20
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Where? Sitting at home in front of my iMac on a Friday night. How? A simple look at Euro Ford Forums reveals all buddy.
Point me in the direction of these forums as I can read for my self!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #21
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6E Turbo 2
It is an Auto so my only complaint is 1.4 lt is a slug
The Thai Ford plant is advertising the PowerShift 6-Speed Auto, the same auto available in the US Fiesta with the 1.6L engine that records 9% better fuel consumption than the manual, so under 6L/100km. I'd assume it packs a bit more punch too, so fingers crossed it gets the green light to Australia
Old 16-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #22
LANKY 1
Are the Supercars on yet?

arn't Fiesta's are only good if ur getting chased by a corvette in a shopping centre??

V8 dreamteam
1st: 2012, 2021
2nd: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2022, 2023
3rd: 2014, 2018, 2019
LANKY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #23
Dreama

go The Blue Oval
Dreama is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 01:03 AM   #24
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:

Many of them feel the car is the bastard child of American and European Ford design. I for one think it looks great, although I'd like it to be a bit more wild. The MK1 Focus was a "love it or hate it design" and the conservative MK2 was no exception, as it turns out the MK3 has divided opinions too. That's not to say all Euro buyers hate the car, but heck even Top Gear said they were amazed at some of the comments about the looks of the MK3 Focus, as they like it.
I think more than anything the Mk3 Focus is too big, or at least percieved that way, for a C segment car. The Mk2 is already too big for alot of people, and now the Mk3 has extra room to grow after the growth spurt the Mondeo has taken. I wouldnt be surprised if, like us, Europe is experiencing a boom in Fiesta sales at the expense of current Focus.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #25
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good point mate. Sitting in an old Camry the other day showed me just how roomy the New Fiesta is, it honestly feels bigger inside than an 80's medium sedan. I think the MK3 Focus will still sell, Ford are ontop of their game in Europe, look at the wealth of vehicles they have, amazing.