Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
FPV70

Default Dragmaster Chassis

I was wondering if anyone here might know of where to get a Dragmaster Chassis? They are I believe quite an old frame and there are a few types of them from Dragmaster but I was looking for one around the 65 era or Plans for one.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have done some checks but have come up with nothing and now I am hoping you guy's might be able to assist.

Thanks

Old 08-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, if the nostalgia drag scene is your thing, you would be best to get around to the Top Fuel meets and look for the "cacklecars".

These are the cars which ran in AA/FD or AA/FA etc back in the day and have been restored to honour the history of Nitro Front Engined Dragsters. Although the number of "cacklecars" in Australia is small, it is growing slowly to replicate what is happening in the United States and their reverence towards where it all started.

Just last week there were two historically significant AA/FD's at the Nitro Champs at WSID. These two cars were Ross Preen's 'Banshee' AA/FD and the Ash Marshall 'Scorcher' AA/FD which just happened to be Australias first 200mph dragster.

There was also the Cowan and Johns 'Psyco 3' AA/FA there too, a magnificently restored machine, that draws crowds like you wouldn't believe.

The chances of finding an original "dragmaster" chassis here in Australia is slim to say the least, unfortunately back in the late 70's and 80's no one really cared to save the old front engined dragsters, instead favouring to progress further and further with the rear engined dragsters which have led to the Top Fuelers and Top Alchohol dragsters of today. Most of the old FED's were scrapped or shoved to the back of barns and workshops all over the place. Sadly most people wouldnt even know what was in front of them before hacking them to pieces for scrap.

I too am on the hunt for a Nostalgia Dragster to restore, I specifically want a car which was engineered or completed here, with competition history to match.

It took Ross Preen the best part of a decade to find Banshee, so i'm not holding my breath.

Here are some links to assist with identifying what you are after

The Nitro Champs Cacklefest (the second one is fairly long)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWc4zIzY7Dg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHuMu...layer_embedded

Ash Marshall's Scorcher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNXxyfpBMBw

Ross Preens Banshee
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dragferr.../0/o5RO3aAH1Wk

There are also some awesome books out there, most of them written in the USA.

Fuel and Guts is unreal, tells the story of how, where and why Fuel Dragsters got started.

Dragstrip Iron is pretty good although very hard to find.

Best of Luck mate. If you need anything else, I'm more than happy to help!
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
FPV70

Hmm, you got me thinking about how hard it might be to find such an old frame or even get the blue prints so I typed Dragmaster Chassis into google again.
What I found was a forum in USA the H.A.M.B forums and someone there too was looking for a Dragmaster.
Somebody else posted a link to a site called Mark Williams Enterprises.
They build Front Engined Dragster, Funny Car / Altered, Rear Engine Dragster- Solid Mount and Rear Engine Dragster- 4-Link. Prices are in USD and seem quite reasonable.

http://www.markwilliams.com/

There is the link if you haven't already been to them.

Thank you very much for your quick info and advice and good luck finding your new toy.

FPV70