Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #91
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

When i was about 10 or so i remember seeing an ef/el XR8 for the 1st time, i said to myself thats an awesome looking car i want one of those one day, so when the time came to replace my reliable old EB i decided it was time to get the car that really made me want a Falcon in the first place, it took me a while to find the combo i wanted, EL XR8 with a 5speed in it, but in the end i got what i wanted and will never sell the beast
Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #92
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

I wanted a car that was alittle rare and would hold price fairly well, I did want to make money but I didn't want to lose heaps! It had to be v8 and manual and fully optioned! also top of the line was a must! And I refused to buy a ford with a boss engine! So AU was the best thing for me!

15months on, I'm still in love with it!
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #93
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hav allways had fords and allways aimed for a v8, but up in nq good 1s that haven't been raped are a task to find, my ute chose me when i went to Melbourne to look for one and chased all over the place for a week for a sedan. Ended up with the first car i looked at which was a series 3 AU XR8 ute. Thought i,d sell it when i got home as i got i for a great price but the drive home changed my mind and had it for 4 years now

The Eb chose me as well, allways wanted an EB XR8 and one fell into my lap, unmodified original with factory sunroof and manual for $2000 and $200 got RWC
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #94
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluntman
XR Strider - Nice Corvette mate, I love that 80's shape although my favourite is the 57-62 with the twin round headlights. But I love all old American muscle cars.
I see yours is right hook, did you get that conversion done here our in the states?
Thanks mate. Agree the Stingray shape is one of the nicest. The conversion was done here in 1993. I would say every RHD Corvette would of been converted in Australia.

Oh by the way, I love my Mustangs too, I wanted to go for a 94-96 Stang but had to have a Corvette. Love the old 1966 onward fast backs like yours.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #95
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1tzy
Cause i was an idiot and didnt shop around

HA HA +1.

I'm not saying the AUII XR8 is generally rubbish, just my one needed a lot of $$$ spent on it.

Drove it around the block, couldn't believe it was a manual V8 ute and decided I had to have it.

Still love driving it and might get a brand new one next year - it has kept me poor tho...
Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #96
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
HA HA +1.

I'm not saying the AUII XR8 is generally rubbish, just my one needed a lot of $$$ spent on it.

Drove it around the block, couldn't believe it was a manual V8 ute and decided I had to have it.

Still love driving it and might get a brand new one next year - it has kept me poor tho...
That was exactly how i bought mine, drive round block, got stiffy because it was manual v8 ute and bought it. Then realised i bought a lemon. Only thing is it hasnt made me poor because i flat out refuse to fix it
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #97
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That was exactly how i bought mine, drive round block, got stiffy because it was manual v8 ute and bought it. Then realised i bought a lemon. Only thing is it hasnt made me poor because i flat out refuse to fix it
Classic. I got the RACV check too. Rubbish. Their test of the brakes was to slam them on. Gave me the green light for everything even tho it really needed a new clutch, discs & pads. $2k right there.

I hear you on not fixing stuff - mine needs soooo much stuff right now... Most ugently a new rack and coolant flush - been putting that off for 6 months...

I often think I could've got a BA for the money I've sunk into mine, but then someone like you comes along and I realise it's not the AU's fault, it was the buyers fault...
Old 06-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #98
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Classic. I got the RACV check too. Rubbish. Their test of the brakes was to slam them on. Gave me the green light for everything even tho it really needed a new clutch, discs & pads. $2k right there.

Sorry to say mate but there is no real test for a clutch other than driving the car, unless you drop the gearbox and have a look.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #99
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I hear you on not fixing stuff - mine needs soooo much stuff right now... Most ugently a new rack and coolant flush - been putting that off for 6 months...

I often think I could've got a BA for the money I've sunk into mine, but then someone like you comes along and I realise it's not the AU's fault, it was the buyers fault...
Exactly, its not the cars fault but it has definately left a super sour taste in my mouth to the point i will be steering way way clear of b series v8's
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 11:43 PM   #100
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Sorry to say mate but there is no real test for a clutch other than driving the car, unless you drop the gearbox and have a look.
Actually I would contest that, in an au with it's cable clutch the pedal rattles and is really hard to push in when the clutch is nearly gone...

Took me quite a while to figure that one out!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #101
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Exactly, its not the cars fault but it has definately left a super sour taste in my mouth to the point i will be steering way way clear of b series v8's
I have to say tho - how good are manual V8 utes!

Such a naughty car - the first time you drive one in the wet you're thinking - how is this thing legal?

Only the arrival of kids would stop me getting another one...
Old 07-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #102
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I've gotta start with my first car... Sorry to take libertys. It was an XE (I wanted an EB thanks to Glen Setons PJ Falcon), but saw the XE and hoped parents wouldnt notice it (they had an XE S pack) cause I wanted a newer car. 4 months later folks saw it after they bought me an XE wagon to play with for $100, and stopped to take a look. It was lowered, hot wire wheels, dark red, fairmont interior sports exhaust, but the clincher was... It was built on my 1st Birthday!! 12th April 1983! I bought it and completely forgot the EB!

Current BA. Had been given (lease car) 5 Commodore S packs VX and VY, they were a good car, but then got my first BA (lease) and I couldnt get over how much better the BA was! It blew me away compaired to the limp wristed VY! After I got out of leasing I bought an EL, but REALLY missed my BA. So saved enough money and as soon as I had enough went and bought my Futura! Was so excited, and love it to this day!

My wife also loved it, even though she HATED all things automotive (esp guys with done up rides) that we bought her a BA Ghia in Dec... Guess who else now mods her car!!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #103
GrimmReaper09

I bought mine because you don't see many Fully Optioned EA Fairmont GHIA 5 speed manuals around.
Full 3" exhaust
2.92 Diff Ratio
Easily reaches 250kph and still more legs left.
Needs some paintwork but is all good apart from that.
GrimmReaper09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #104
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Impulse.

Most of my cars are impulse purchases.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post