Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #1
347Stroker
Banned

Default Dry Sumps

Ok, just wondering who has gone the dry sump route before, and what problems they encountered.
What sort of life expectancy do you get from a pump?
Is a Barnes, Moroso or a Weaver pump the way to go?
Where did you run the tank, and what size did you run?

Looking at it now, as there is minimal room to run a decent sump in an EL, and dry sump cures all woes, seeing surge will be a problem....

347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going from all the replies it looks like you will be the pioneer for this. You could maybe try one of the supercar teams for some info.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #3
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347stroker
Ok, just wondering who has gone the dry sump route before, and what problems they encountered.
What sort of life expectancy do you get from a pump?
Is a Barnes, Moroso or a Weaver pump the way to go?
Where did you run the tank, and what size did you run?

Looking at it now, as there is minimal room to run a decent sump in an EL, and dry sump cures all woes, seeing surge will be a problem....
Your best bet would be to give Barney at VPW a ring he seems to be the man when it comes to dry sump set ups. Or give Trick and Manswato a ring.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
347Stroker
Banned

I have the pan, with some pretty cool piston coolers, and a 18 quart Peterson tank for the boot, but just looking for the best pump.
I think a 5 stage Barnes or Weaver would be the go, just need to see which is the more reliable.
I am getting a 2 stage pinion driven Barnes Pump for the 3rd member and gearbox, so possibly the Barnes could be the go?
Old 27-09-2005, 10:09 PM   #5
347Stroker
Banned

Ok, I see alot of views, and no replies, so I guess alot of people out there have no idea in the first place what a dry sump is.
Secondly, I gather that those that know, have probably never even seen one.
I guess I will have to write a story, and post some pics up once its all fitted up.

For those that know what it all is, I purchased a 5 stage Barnes pump today, a really nice light one, only weighs 13lb, so its all now about plumbing the bloody thing up....
Old 27-09-2005, 10:57 PM   #6
turboute
turboute

Since most people do not know that much about the dry sump setup you could show us a bit of your project. I for one am always interested in gaining a bit more automotive knowledge, and wouldn't mind seeing some pics of the setup.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post