Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
Defiant1
vroom vroom screetch

Default 2010 LX auto bipolar

Hi all, after a flick through using the search engine and then the focus specific forum, I have not had much luck in answering my questions.

I recently purchased a 2010 LX hatch auto, but we are having quite some trouble taming the beast. The only way I can describe accelerating from a stop is manic. There is a brief pause followed by some seriously dangerous full throttle, both in drive and reverse. It seems that even stroking the throttle lightly results in heavy acceleration. But then sometimes it behaves like a Hyundai, and chugs along contentedly.

We also find the gearbox to be indecisive with a tendency to drop to first at about 30km/h when say turning a corner (then of course sprinting into the distance when you touch the accelerator again).

This would be awesome if it were an RS, but it isn't.

EVERY time we have taken it back for a service (we've only travelled about 5000km), we report this problem and when we get the car back it is more predictable but the gremlins return about 2 weeks later.

My understanding of cars is not too limited, and I believe performing an ECU reset every fortnight is NOT an answer. Additionally, there is the issue of a lack of predictability with acceleration. (Also come to think of it, we have to mash the brake to stop the bloody thing).

Ford claims that this is a feature of the LX auto. If it were, said I, I would not have bought it.

I would like to know what experience others have had, and whether we should be worried or not. I don't buy cars to sell them, but this one seems to be destined for replacement. I hear Corollas are good value again...

I eagerly await your experiences and advice...

Old 11-11-2010, 01:57 AM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting. I've got a CL auto, and things I've noticed are that it tends to hunt a little when changing up in the lower gears, particularly if I've just had to decelerate (because of a car in front braking or I'm approaching a roundabout, for instance). It could be that I'm a little light on the throttle, however, and I confuse it...

On the flip side, one of the reasons I'm hesitant on the throttle is because I've had a similar experience to you - sometimes, especially when I move off from a standstill, I seem to be blasted back into the seat.

From my perspective, I think the "blast off" may be because the pedal is set up sufficiently different from my old EF Falcon that I haven't adapted to the right touch yet. Rather than a mechanical issue, that is.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that certainly sounds weird. never had a problem like that in our focus. changing into first at 30hp/h is very odd. ours never goes back to first unless your basically crawling. and never has had an out of control throttle.

with my limited mechanical knowledge i would say something is wrong. has the manager of the service department seen the issue? it needs to be fixed its dangerous.
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
eddiemonster
Starter Motor

Sounds like the auto doesnt know what gear to select for a second had this as an issue in my holden as well. My partner drives an LX auto hatch but she has no issues like ur saying the only way to eliminate the problem is ask them to remap the auto for you (iam using holden terms sure its the same) or re program the auto most times it will work but i got my holden tuned but a tuner and they get rid of that issue they make the auto more responsive and shift better.
Hope all goes well
eddiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
Defiant1
vroom vroom screetch

Just got the car back.

"We cannot find any faults with the car"

According to McInerney Ford, the auto mapping cannot be changed. During test driving, they could not notice anything out of the ordinary, but we keep getting told this is just a feature of the car. I stated that I disagreed with their assessment, citing safety issues...

They did, however, bleed the brakes which has resulted in much improvement in the stopping ability of the car.

We took another identical car out for a drive, and I must say that it was a COMPLETELY different drive. The noob next to me, while I do respect him, stated that he could not determine ANY difference between the cars. Our car was very twitchy, hunted between 1st and 2nd.

I thought I would play my trump card and said that I had gathered the opinions of forum members from here and other sources. I was told by the service manager that 99% of the info on the net (including youse guys) are full of carbon.

The only suggestion they offered was to contact FMC directly to complain.

We shall see how the car performs over the next few weeks, and see how long it takes to go back into its old habits.

It's a pity, because I was going to buy a Mondeo, but I think I might look at Toyota...

I'll keep you updated
Old 16-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if the problem comes back, try another dealer (if possible obviously). sounds like ur dealing with fools
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
20focus05
I wanna XR5

sounds very similar to a TPS problem.
Get dealer or a general mechanic to put scan tool on and look at live data while driving.
I had a similar issue with a Lazer TPS values within parameters but with a spike to full thottle values at half throttle. Made for an interesting drive.
Only found this with scan tool looking at live data while it was being driven.
This only happened when you slowly presses or let off Accl pedal.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #8
Defiant1
vroom vroom screetch

20focus05

You brilliant person!

Of course with electronic throttle it would use a TPS, and it would only play up when driven...

You do realise that they (Ford) will say that you're full of it, and that they checked everything.

I'll book the car in with another dealer and pass on the info and see where we get.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 18-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
20focus05
I wanna XR5

The lazer used the same trans.
I would slow down for lights or a corner and suddenly kick down and take off.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post