Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #31
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wrong thread

Last edited by flappist; 25-12-2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 11:52 PM   #32
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEaaron
To be honest I don't like how the 135i can outpace an M3, I would kind of like to see the 1 series be a FWD model whilst the rest remained RWD

Yes and No.

I think the M3 should be the ultimate and quickest BMW.

But the 1 should still be RWD, just aimed at different competitors. I.e Golf GTI for the Hatchback. RWD hatchback is cool.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 12:02 AM   #33
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Yes and No.

I think the M3 should be the ultimate and quickest BMW.

But the 1 should still be RWD, just aimed at different competitors. I.e Golf GTI for the Hatchback. RWD hatchback is cool.
You mean other than the M5 & M6?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 12:10 AM   #34
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Audi seems to be making some great car and they are definitely FWD biased AWDs,
maybe BMW is testing the water to see what can and can't be done with FWD vehicles...

Excellent move with T6 in 3 series, I'm glad to see BMW is keeping the I-6 turbo - it's a good image.
I always felt the V8 was overkill for the American (gotta have a V8) market, only Jag & Merc do V8s right IMO...

Actually they are north/south engine layout with a rear biased Torsen AWD system, however the A3 is a East/west setup which is front wheel drive where the rear steps in as needed.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #35
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
The N/A performance engines will be a thing of the past very soon. Big displacement needed to keep up with the current crop of forced induction engines will simply not be able to meet emission laws.
I can't agree that n/a motors of reasonable size have emmision problems nor will they for the forseable future after all lean tunes and timed injection makes emmisions very low easily , however it's very possible to force induct a smaller lighter motor and gain light throttle fuel consumption avantages , the problem with boosted motors is full throttle emmision control takes a lot of cpu power and monitoring so your old style computers can't be used adding yet another layer of complexity . I personally would be very interestd in an E36/46 size car with a factory alloy blocked iron sleeved car with sequentual turbos , in fact many of us after factory buyers make our own with the1 or 2jz with shattering results and handling
I can see it now e36 sized rwd 400hp massive brakes 6 speed manual and more affordable
In a heartbeat
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #36
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You mean other than the M5 & M6?
Yeah I don't know. I didn't really think it through.

The 3 should defiantly be faster then the 1 though. That's what I meant.

On the topic of FWD I guess they can't show this ad anymore.

Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 12:52 AM   #37
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
I can't agree that n/a motors of reasonable size have emmision problems nor will they for the forseable future after all lean tunes and timed injection makes emmisions very low easily , however it's very possible to force induct a smaller lighter motor and gain light throttle fuel consumption avantages , the problem with boosted motors is full throttle emmision control takes a lot of cpu power and monitoring so your old style computers can't be used adding yet another layer of complexity . I personally would be very interestd in an E36/46 size car with a factory alloy blocked iron sleeved car with sequentual turbos , in fact many of us after factory buyers make our own with the1 or 2jz with shattering results and handling
I can see it now e36 sized rwd 400hp massive brakes 6 speed manual and more affordable
In a heartbeat
Hrrrm now where have i seen one of these before ??
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #38
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
In a heartbeat
Yes you are right it is possible to meet performance and emissions using N/A engines and I should have qualified that. But it will be easier and much more feasible with forced induction, we only need to look at our own 5.0 S/C GT.

My engine builder who is very old school, builds mainly big cubed clevos and windsors told me nearly ten years ago that our own aussie muscle cars will be turbo or supercharged as it is the most simple and economical way to keep emissions and fuel consumption low and power up.

I laughed....he was right.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #39
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
That said, I totally agree with Trippytaka, I was partial to the 135i coupe, however living in Melbounres east we are bombarded with every second roided up, solarium/gym junkie gold chain wearing, oversized Dolce Gabbana sunnie wearing heroes who buy Beemers just to show the world that they have money. Not a look I was after, hence the purchase of the Golf R.
As long as you aren't 'one of them', why would you care? Fair enough if you believe the Golf is a better car, but to make a decision based on how people you don't know perceive you is odd to me.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #40
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aualright
As long as you aren't 'one of them', why would you care? Fair enough if you believe the Golf is a better car, but to make a decision based on how people you don't know perceive you is odd to me.

Thats your opinion mate, but that is part of the reason why I do not want a 135i. Its the way I am and I couldn't care less about you thinking I am odd. Around my area, BMW's are common, and most are driven by arrogant gym junkie, tandoori tanned soccer mums and roid hero's, its very true, and you would not understand. Clarkson thinks BMW drivers are cocks. Do you think he is odd too becasue if his opinion?? Its MY opinion and besides, a 135i with the options rivalling my Golf would be pushing over $100k, where my R cost me a hair under $60k.

1 series does not have as nice interior, or a widescreen integrated satnav (its tacked ontop the dashboard), no Adaptive chassis control etc etc.

I LOVE BMW's, and have no problem with the cars as they are brilliant cars (mostly), but I'm making an observation on a portion of BMW driving demographic, JUST as MANY on these forums discount Commodore drivers as a boganic uneducated folk. How are my sentiments any different?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post