Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Driving to Syney from Brisbane.

As the title implies I will be driving from Brisbane to Sydney on new years day. I will be going down via the Pacific Highway.

I have been down that road many times over the years, however, I just wanted to know what state the roads are currently in. If you live along the Highway, or have driven it in the past couple of days, how is the condition of road?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Ned

04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I drove this road only about 8 weeks ago and again about 4 weeks ago and the roadworks are a continual fight, plenty of potholes and ruts etc. I know its a while ago now but it seems whilst there is roadworks going on it will always be an issue
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wasn't even thinking of the road works.Thanks for the reminder. I will say, that in 17 years of travelling up and down that road, that it has changed dramatically as a result of roadworks.

It takes an average 10.5 hrs compared to 12 hrs 17 years ago. Not sure how this have affected all the towns that have been bypassed.

Was also concerned about flooding or unpassable areas.
Old 29-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
casabonka
You can call me Chris

**Dont forget the double demerits when you cross the border**
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Not sure of flooding on the pacific highway, a call to both qld transport and nsw transport should help as I believe both have road condition reports. I do know it is about your only option as both the Newel and New England highways have extensive road damage and flooding. Outside Warwick QLD is closed at the moment.
Old 29-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We really should have better freeways and faster limits for these long trips. The freeways are getting there, but the limit will never be anymore, so whats the point of spending billions on good freeways that are good for 140kmh+

I'm driving from Newcastle to Gold coast In February and not looking forward to it.
Anyone know the estimated travel time for that run?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

@ casabonca. I'm not sure that appears on my Qld license.

@ Gecko. I will give the RTA a call. Thanks for that.

Ben, it's about 7-8 hrs to the Coast from Newcastle if you get a good run. That doesn't include stops. It's usually a pretty good drive.

Just unsure of the conditions currently.
Old 29-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au/#textview

best thing to use while on the move, just read right through it..

and back in 2005, we did the trip from Wyong to Sea World on the Gold Coast right on 10 hours, which included stops, food, etc etc
Old 29-12-2010, 11:32 PM   #9
Scott

Will the roadworks on the Pac Hwy ever end? They really need QLD to come down south and show em how to whack a road in. Constantly amazed at the speed at which roadwork is completed in SEQ.

I have family who have stopped in Coffs (from ACT) for the next few days, will shoot them a txt and see what they have to say.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I drove this road only about 8 weeks ago and again about 4 weeks ago and the roadworks are a continual fight, plenty of potholes and ruts etc. I know its a while ago now but it seems whilst there is roadworks going on it will always be an issue
So still the same as when I last drove it a few years ago......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #11
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
So still the same as when I last drove it a few years ago......
Did the drive last month, it was roadworks galore. I wonder how slow road construction is in NSW, last time I did the drive back in 1997 there were roadworks.
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #12
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

The QLD road report hotline no is 13 19 40. But apparently the website has better & newer info constantly.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #13
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
They really need QLD to come down south and show em how to whack a road in. Constantly amazed at the speed at which roadwork is completed in SEQ.

bugger sending them south.. have to give them a map that goes further north then gimpie first so that they can do something about the narrow strip of pot holes normally called the Bruce highway. at least nsw has roadworks.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #14
Scott

^^ I did say whack one in, not fix one
Old 30-12-2010, 12:39 AM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Will the roadworks on the Pac Hwy ever end? They really need QLD to come down south and show em how to whack a road in. Constantly amazed at the speed at which roadwork is completed in SEQ.
Yeah, real fast. Is that why after 6 years they are still working on the upgrade of the Gateway motorway between the bridge and eight mile plains. I have lived here 6 years and never seen a single day on that stretch without road works.
Old 30-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #16
Scott

Probably could do with another thread, but the Pac Hwy has been ongoing for as long as I can remember - at least 15 years IIRC
Old 30-12-2010, 03:03 AM   #17
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While you are talking about the Pacific Highway in NSW . . I was wondering if they will ever fix that dogleg on it between Beresfield and Hexham? At the northern end of the Sydney Newcastle Freeway it just comes to a roundabout at John Renshaw Drive which leads you onto the New England Highway for a short section. You go east for about 4 ks where you have to turn sharp left onto a crappy bridge over the Hunter River and rejoin the Pacific Highway going north.

Surely this takes the cake for the most crappy bit of major highway infrastructure linkup in NSW? .. Maybe not if you think about the other end of the F3 where it just ends in the middle of nowhere in Wahroonga at a crappy T intersection?

You would think that in this day and age they could actually build a Freeway type road from the north of Sydney to the south of Sydney wouldn't you? They can do it in Brisbane with the Gateway motorway so whats stopping them?.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very true about the road works. I will add though, that the road has improved dramamtically over the years. I do recall a time when I used to drive that road about 4-5 times a year that each time I used it the road works were in a different spot. When I first started driving along the Pac Hwy, (about 17 years ago), I was considered the most dangerous road in the country IIRC.

As for continued road works, isn't that road part of the Federal Highway? Could explain the ongoing maintenance and upgrading. Bearing in mind that it is a 1000 km stretch from Brissy to Sydney.

Oh, BTW BrisMike, I agree about the Newcastle stretch. And how about that stretch of white lines across the road to make you slow right down? PITA of stretch.
Old 30-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #19
Scott

^^ The Federal Hwy runs out of Canberra and joins into the Hume, you're talking about the National Hwy.

The Pac Hwy (between Newcastle and Port Macquarie) was (is?) the most dangerous bit of road I have ever driven. It's better now but you used to get idiot locals pulling out from towns (going home to the farm I guess) pulling out and still doing town speeds in front of all the traffic that had been doing 110-120kph for 4 hrs, lots of grey nomads with caravans doing all sort of stupid things and a major hwy that makes fairly random turns... and often had roads running straight where the hwy had turned.

I covered a lot of ground for a number of years and the Pac Hwy commanded my attention more than any other.

Road works aside, it still is a pig of a road around Taree/Port etc.
Old 30-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #20
20focus05
I wanna XR5

there are some nasty pot holes etc around the roadworks from lismore/ballina heading toward brissy.

The roads north of brissy, 200 odd km of it is a pot hole now not a road.
the other day all we could do was 60km/h and that was to fast!!!!

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #21
Gorby
Gorby

Hey giday Ned. We're heading down that way tomorrow. Just looking through the thread gave us some good info and where to look for quality of roads etc. Hope you had a great Xmas mate.

Mike.
Gorby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #22
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The road from Port Macquarie south is now all 4 lanes except for the bypass at Bulladelah which is currently being built. There were some problems around 6k north of Ballina on mon/tues but I think all dry now. If you don't need to go through Ballina proper then take the Tintenbar/Teven roads and bypass it. Beware of the 2 one way bridges which are currently being replaced but otherwise the road is quite good and scenic as it meanders along the riverside and cane fields. No right turn onto Pac Hwy at the south end 7a-7pm but a roundabout up the road toturn around at or do a quick safe uturn in a driveway beforehand. If you don't need to stop in Grafton Centenary Rd bypasses the whole town and cuts out 3k. Very good section of road. I take both of these roads every time I go to QLD and thats about once every 4- 6 weeks, last time was 2 weeks ago. Google map search both of these and save time. Beware lots of speed cameras, north from Port Macq, 5k tollerance and I suspect police patrols in hols up to 10k tolerance as long as you arent doing stuuuupid stuff. I have only ever seen one of the mobile speed camera setups just south of Urunga about 2k in some pretty dodgy section of road. Have a safe trip.

Last edited by deesun; 30-12-2010 at 01:24 PM.
deesun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #23
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Watch the NYD Coming into Sydney - whilst only the Saturday this year, many start heading home. Im heaing to manning Point for NYE on Friday and back after ive dried out Saturday - I expect to caught in traffic from Buladelah to the F3.

Drive safe - keep CB on Ch 29 for traffic and copper reports
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #24
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is ch 29 the common channel for the highway?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #25
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

My cousins just arrived from Sydney around lunchtime Brissy time and there was no water or flooding on the roads anywhere. So you should be good
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #26
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

just get on the F3 at Beresfield (Newcastle F3 start) as the Pacific Highway especially through the Central Coast... Plus the traffic is held up along the pacific highway from warnervale through to tuggerah regularly
Old 31-12-2010, 12:02 AM   #27
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorby
Hey giday Ned. We're heading down that way tomorrow. Just looking through the thread gave us some good info and where to look for quality of roads etc. Hope you had a great Xmas mate.

Mike.
Hey Mike, glad the thread has helped someone else aswell. There is some really good info thats for for sure. Have a safe trip and a happy new year. All the best to you and your family.

Are you going to head to Canberra for Summernats while your down there?

Cheers
Ned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
The road from Port Macquarie south is now all 4 lanes except for the bypass at Bulladelah which is currently being built. There were some problems around 6k north of Ballina on mon/tues but I think all dry now. If you don't need to go through Ballina proper then take the Tintenbar/Teven roads and bypass it. Beware of the 2 one way bridges which are currently being replaced but otherwise the road is quite good and scenic as it meanders along the riverside and cane fields. No right turn onto Pac Hwy at the south end 7a-7pm but a roundabout up the road toturn around at or do a quick safe uturn in a driveway beforehand. If you don't need to stop in Grafton Centenary Rd bypasses the whole town and cuts out 3k. Very good section of road. I take both of these roads every time I go to QLD and thats about once every 4- 6 weeks, last time was 2 weeks ago. Google map search both of these and save time. Beware lots of speed cameras, north from Port Macq, 5k tollerance and I suspect police patrols in hols up to 10k tolerance as long as you arent doing stuuuupid stuff. I have only ever seen one of the mobile speed camera setups just south of Urunga about 2k in some pretty dodgy section of road. Have a safe trip.
Thanks Deesun. Much appreciated. That was pretty much what I was I after. I'll send you some rep as soon as I can.

Cheers
Ned
Old 31-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #28
Gorby
Gorby

[QUOTE=04redxr8]Hey Mike, glad the thread has helped someone else aswell. There is some really good info thats for for sure. Have a safe trip and a happy new year. All the best to you and your family.

Are you going to head to Canberra for Summernats while your down there?

Cheers
Ned.

Thanks Ned, a safe trip to you and your family as well mate.

No we wont be heading down that far, just making our way down the coast slowly, stopping here and there.

Have a great NY's mate, catch up with you on cruise some time.

ps. Thanks everyone for their input into the road conditions.
Gorby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #29
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Is ch 29 the common channel for the highway?
channel 40 for trucks ,there the ones who will have good info on whats ahead of you
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post