Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
T3man
Banned

Default Taxis @ Wakefield Park

Ride and I took the taxis for an outing on Saturday .. sorry, it's taken a while to get them uploaded to photobucket but here's a few laps of video.

T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

looks bloody good... nice work...

love the overtaking bit with the B-series XR8
Old 24-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

looks like you had fun
the first video, is that you?
odd steering wheel action - looks like you 'pull' the wheel down rather than 'pushing' it over, if you know what i mean

i steer like the dude in the TS, always hangin off the top of the wheel
feels good man
Old 24-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the ride T3man - taxis looked and sound awesome, looks like you guys had a great day out playing with da T's.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
T3man
Banned

Fun fun fun ... sure was!

I do drive at the bottom of the wheel ... right hand between 3 and 4 o'clock and left between 8 and 9. Bit unconventional but it works for me. I first started to drive that way (when pushinbg hard) back in the 70s when power steering was very over assisted and found I had better control and feedback ... and I grip with just two fingers. If my hands ever do go over the top of the wheel it's because I have far more opposite lock than I was planning!!! LOL.

The guy in the B Series was on his Ls I think - he did the same thing to me again in another session. He was black flagged once and had the riot act laid down to him so I was told by someone else who he almost took out. Later in the day he came good to his credit. There's a short video of him in the Falcons > Contemporary section.

On the day I was affectionately calling him the HULK.
Old 24-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I was gonna ask are you over 45
because the only people I know who drive with odd wheel actions like that are over 45
not baggin', just sayin'.

yeah the fella in the bottom video is younger yeah? I drive just like him - same wheel actions, power down at the same time etc.
Old 24-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
T3man
Banned

Yeah, Ride is just a young'n. My ol' body is nudging the "senior" category - still a teenager in the head!

In normal driving your hands should not be above mid wheel ie. 3 and 9; (this is specially important today with cars that have driver's air bag) except when parking; or in an emergency steering control like controlling a slide.
Old 24-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
In normal driving your hands should not be above mid wheel ie. 3 and 9; (this is specially important today with cars that have driver's air bag) except when parking; or in an emergency steering control like controlling a slide.
When I was doing my driving test 7 years ago it was instant fail if your not holding it at 10 & 2....

Not that I really adhere to this rule now but I do remember being told this.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
T3man
Banned

That may have been told to you 7 years ago but it was wrong then and still is now. In the "real old days" when I was instructing we always taught 10/2 or 9/3. Nowadays it is definitely NEVER above the wheel centre on cars with air bags.
Old 24-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
earlybird

Its funny which way you get taught how to hang on,i did a Peter Brock driving course about 20 years ago and he taught 10 & 2 then,but things do change,i wonder which position he would teach now if still alive.
earlybird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post