Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-10-2005, 07:53 PM   #1
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Default Best tyres for an AU 1

G'day guys,

prolly not the correct place for this question but if anyone knows it would be the AU guys because eh.. we drive 'em.

All I've got rim wise is the standard 15 inch rims with a set of Yokohama S760's one of which I found has some side wall damage so I thought I would do some research and find out whats best for performance and value for money. I was looking at some Yokohama C Drives or some Goodyear Ducaros.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks

Chris

SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2005, 08:06 PM   #2
buickman
buickman

I have the Yokohama C drive 235/45/17's they are a great tyre have used Goodyear, Faulkan & Simex & the Yoko C drives grip like glue to the road. They won a award as the best tyre in 2004.
The Simex & Faulkan are good in dry but very average in the wet. The Goodyear is a good tyre as well. But I feel the Yokohama C drives are the best I've used on my AU.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2005, 08:32 PM   #3
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Goodyear are generally a good tyre with decent wear. Also have had simex tyres and loved them , got over 65,000 from a set and found them to be better in the wet than anything ive had.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Then there's Kumho Ecsta, Nexens, Nankangs, Hankooks etc - a lot of the Korean brands are 1/2 the price of the tradiaiotnal Dunlops, Goodyears etc, and they are just as good, if not better.

I have Nexens on the wagon, and Sava Intensas on the XR8 (previously Hankooks).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
EvilChief
Boost Addict

I love the Falken ST115 as daily road tyre, good milage, great performance in dry, moderate in wet, moderate road noise.

The Falken RT215 i smy choice for track and drag, awsome performance, great traction, not so much on milage and road noise.

As for a cheap but good tyre option I use Trampio Guwn, which uses a slightly modifies ST115 tread pattern with a slightly harder rubber compound for even better milage, but a little noisier.

As for the supercheap option I'd go with GT Radials. not too bad, being on a 4wd atm traction is no issues never the less, no road noise, as for milage i cant comment just yet as i am still driving them ...
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2005, 09:19 PM   #6
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

I had Kuhmo Ecsta 712, which were initially good grip wise, but went down hill fast. They were noisy - to the extent I wondered if I had diff issues - and had poor wet grip.

I've changed to Toyo Transpaths and the tyre is much better. Quieter, good grip wet and dry (as I found at on my trip to QLD) and will give good wear. They are just below the Proxies so lose a little in outright grip for better wear/less noise - a good compromise.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post