Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #31
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV50L
in NSW demerit points actually stay on your licence for 3 years and 4 months.
*snip*
What or how do the extra 4 months get added?

The RTA only make reference to 3 years
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...oint_faqs.html
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #32
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am i the only one in this forum that finds questions like this immoral? Surely when you realise you are close to the maximum points you may moderate your driving manner which is the reason for the points system in the first place.
As a road user like all others on this forum it worries me about some of the attitudes that make some think they do not have any responsibilities when the time comes to pay the piper. modify your driving manner and you wont need to worry , if not then take your medicine like every other licence holder.
Before the mods delete this just think should you be condoning the driving behaviour that led to the points tally in the first place.
My opinion only as i have kids and would kick their ar$e if they czme close to being in this situation.
Cheers
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #33
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
yep... do the one point probation trick. that way you can still drive and you learn to use the cruise control.

you went through `09 + `10 with out losing any so surely you can give 12 months a good go. just need to be a bit more careful for a while. then when the 12 months are up you get a clean licence ready to run riot again.
Actually its 2 points while your on a good behaviour:

Quote:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...nts/index.html
Good behaviour period

Unrestricted licence holders who receive a Notice of Suspension due to the accumulation of demerit points can apply for a 12 month good behaviour period instead of serving the suspension. This option is not available to provisional or learner licence holders or those already serving a good behaviour period.

A good behaviour election must be made before the suspension begins. If the election is not made before the required date, then the suspension will be enforced. The relevant legislation does not give the RTA the discretion to reissue the suspension notice with a new date or to change a suspension to good behaviour after the suspension period has begun.

Licence holders who accumulate 2 or more demerit points while serving a good behaviour period will be suspended for double the original suspension time.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #34
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta
in NSW you do not lose the points until the fine is paid or the court makes a decision THIS IS 100% FACT.

about 15 years ago i was about to lose my licence and went down to SA and got a 10 year one the systems were not linked up than i am not sure about post 2007 which means if you get a fine outside of SA you will lose no points from your SA licence...

You will need proof of residency though i was lucky in that i was going down there for work and was staying for months at a time i got a letter from the local office of my work down there and went to sa roads with my NSW lic and that.

im am positive that the nsw/vic and act systems are now linked not sure about the rest of oz

edit: also i tried the extra dollar thing it did not work for me.

Yes, all states and Territories are interlinked with licences and points. So if you get a fine in NSW and you live in S.A, you still loose points of the S.A licence. The Government interlinked the system, because people would accumulate points in one state quickly, then move to the next state and start with a fresh bank of points. This system came into effect about 20 years ago (when photo licences started being issued)

As for the interstate move, in this quote. I lost my licence in QLD about 15 years ago for points accumulation and moved to S.A, whilst my suspension was active. I still had to serve my licence suspension (6 months) before I could get an S.A licence. So I don't know how you got away with it.

As for the quote of modifying a driving style, therefore not loosing so many points. I was a really bad boy, accumulating so many points in such a short time. I got a lot of single point losses, due to an unroadworthy car. I would be pinged for a light out, or a blown indicator or brake light globe. You know, the sort of stuff that can happen at anytime. Yeah, I got caught speeding, by doing 5 or 6 Kays over the speed limit (yeah a hoon). All those single point losses by the QLD coppers caught up with me, so I lost my licence.

Now I'm not whinging about loosing my licence because of those silly unroadworthy fines, therefore demerit points, but I will say that it's not always about speeding etc. There are other fines, which amount to demerit points off the licence, which can cause licence loss. And sometimes those things can't be helped. (eg blown indicator, or brake light).

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by svo supporter; 16-01-2011 at 12:16 AM.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #35
harry216921
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450
Surely when you realise you are close to the maximum points you may moderate your driving manner which is the reason for the points system in the first place.
I thought the fact that I lost all 11 points in a 6 month period in 2008, and have now gone nearly 2.5 years without losing any points would be an indication that my driving manner was modified significantly - but each to their own.

Add to the fact that this one was obtained by speeding up going out of a small town (albeit a fair distance from the next speed zone).

I'm not making excuses, and I'm dealing with the consequences, but if there's a way to not deal with them, I'd be mad not to take the opportunity!
harry216921 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #36
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A week or 2 before getting off my P's I thought I got done at a mobile speed camera for less then 10 over.

I was planning to hold off paying until I got off my P's. Then the penalty would of been reduced from 4 points to 1 due to having a full licence.
Would of that worked?
This was over a month ago and I havent heard from them so I guess they didn't get me.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 02:53 AM   #37
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta
in NSW you do not lose the points until the fine is paid or the court makes a decision THIS IS 100% FACT.

about 15 years ago i was about to lose my licence and went down to SA and got a 10 year one the systems were not linked up than i am not sure about post 2007 which means if you get a fine outside of SA you will lose no points from your SA licence...

You will need proof of residency though i was lucky in that i was going down there for work and was staying for months at a time i got a letter from the local office of my work down there and went to sa roads with my NSW lic and that.

im am positive that the nsw/vic and act systems are now linked not sure about the rest of oz

edit: also i tried the extra dollar thing it did not work for me.
Hi, a mate of mine was about to lose his license (6months+6points) for getting too zealous with the right pedal (FG XR6T) while overtaking a B-double last year. Never had a point on his license before. However, having his work alternating between VIC and SA, thought he'd fly over the next day to SA and trade up his VIC license for an SA one, before the offence was recorded. Plan worked, he overheard the SA Licensing authority rep call up Vicroads or some system with his details and give them the all clear. He then received a fresh SA license with nothing recorded against it. Was told it was all legal as he visits SA many times per month and has an investment property there. Paid the Vicroads fine to keep the state coffers happy and has heard nothing of it since. He's not the type to hoon around and drives sedately, but felt losing his licence for overtaking a vehicle safely on a rural open road, in perfect weather, with perfect visibility and no oncoming traffic was not justified, and acted accordingly. Right or wrong?.. you be the judge.

Last edited by dylancox; 16-01-2011 at 02:58 AM.
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #38
010 f6 ute

U can get your points every month if it set up to do so. I work fly in fly out in the mines in the nt for 19 days than fly back to qld for 9 days soon as me or my mates get caught we change our liesence over to the other state and when we get back change back to nt and get 12 points back. So I can only lose mine for drink driving. Also allows me to have my opens at 19 And drive my f6 in qld at my age.
010 f6 ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #39
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Question

OK enough of this ... I'm not divulging my situation but i have been nervous for months, tomorrow i am going into the Tweed RTA and explain my situation ..

If this is true then tomorrow i will have some points still and a NSW licence!

I spend my time working on the border now so it does actually apply to me, i just need someones address/ letter to confirm i live there yeh ??
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 12:12 AM   #40
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

You'll will find, there is a question on the licence application form that says something like this. "Have you been disqualified from holding or obtaining a licence in another state" Yes or No. If you give a false answer, you then open yourself up for prosecution for a false declaration, which means a date with the courts. (This also appears on the application form.)

This question appears on all state and Territory Licence application forms.

Make your own judgement call from that.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 09-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #41
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
You'll will find, there is a question on the licence application form that says something like this. "Have you been disqualified from holding or obtaining a licence in another state" Yes or No. If you give a false answer, you then open yourself up for prosecution for a false declaration, which means a date with the courts. (This also appears on the application form.)

This question appears on all state and Territory Licence application forms.

Make your own judgement call from that.
Cheers ...
Old 09-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #42
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry216921
I thought the fact that I lost all 11 points in a 6 month period in 2008, and have now gone nearly 2.5 years without losing any points would be an indication that my driving manner was modified significantly - but each to their own.

Add to the fact that this one was obtained by speeding up going out of a small town (albeit a fair distance from the next speed zone).

I'm not making excuses, and I'm dealing with the consequences, but if there's a way to not deal with them, I'd be mad not to take the opportunity!
If it's a low range offence, you may be able to write to them and request the latest fine be withdrawen on the basis that for the last 2 and a bits years you have had a clean record. Probably won't work, but worth a shot. I know they will withdraw the fine if you have a clean record for 3 years and the fine was for less than 10kms over.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 12:29 AM   #43
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
If it's a low range offence, you may be able to write to them and request the latest fine be withdrawen on the basis that for the last 2 and a bits years you have had a clean record. Probably won't work, but worth a shot. I know they will withdraw the fine if you have a clean record for 3 years and the fine was for less than 10kms over.
Very true , i have a thread i am thinking of starting in another part of the forum asking for advice...

Given the circumstances that it occured.. we shall see...
Old 09-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #44
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
A week or 2 before getting off my P's I thought I got done at a mobile speed camera for less then 10 over.

I was planning to hold off paying until I got off my P's. Then the penalty would of been reduced from 4 points to 1 due to having a full licence.
Would of that worked?
This was over a month ago and I havent heard from them so I guess they didn't get me.
Well my brother got done in NSW on his Red P's for speeding by a fixed camera, which is an automatic suspension. He was 3 days away from being able to get his Greens which would have let him keep his license. He went and got his Greens a few days later (not realising he was done) and all was fine, until he got a letter a month later stating the fine and the points loss and that if he was a Red P plater he'd have a 3 month suspension. We figured because he was a Green P's now there wouldn't be a problem, but they back dated to his license type at the time of the offense and he was hit with a 3 month suspension. The suspension letter even stated that because he was on his P1's at time of offense the law states you'll receive a suspension of 3 months etc etc.

So in our experience, for those saying that on P's to hold out until you get your full license etc, I don't know that its worth it! Try by all means though!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #45
LTDHO
The one and only

If you don't pay your fine, it's keeps going up until you do, I wouldn'r wait months to pay it!
The only way to postpone it to take it to court. However, this can include court fees.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #46
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

There are a few ways to postpone paying a fine, without incurring other costs, however for the purpose of this thread, I won't vear into that topic.

I think only VIC has the provisions for fine withdrawl on the basis of a clean driving record, but don't hold me to that.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #47
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
Very true , i have a thread i am thinking of starting in another part of the forum asking for advice...

Given the circumstances that it occured.. we shall see...

If I were you, I wouldn't. I don't know the circumstances behind your licence loss, nor do I need to know. But you can just see the dung getting flung your direction, no matter what the circumstances were. It's happened on other occasions, so I can't see you being any different.