Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #31
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they just ban driving all together, they will eliminate ALL driving related deaths and injuries. There's nothing better than a government that knows what's best for us. I want to be protected from myself!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #32
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree that there is no difference in using a mobile with your hands or hands free. Its where your concentration is at which is the problem. Holding a phone is no worse than holding a drink or anything else. So either ban the lot, or let everyone use handheld phones again.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #33
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
I agree that there is no difference in using a mobile with your hands or hands free. Its where your concentration is at which is the problem. Holding a phone is no worse than holding a drink or anything else. So either ban the lot, or let everyone use handheld phones again.
This is not the problem. Its these silly little girls mainly on there p plates, who constantly type crap to one another , and constsntly looking down while they already have no idea how to drive, do this on the freeway at 100+ like im sure they all do and bang, one second ands its a headon, most likely killing people. Not long back I was driving along a stright road ,2 lanes and all of a sudden this car starts to veer into my lane, I look over and this silly ***** is typing crap into her phone. Then when I stopped next to her she wants to be a smartarse, I gave her a major serve, she very quickly wound her window up and moved forward to get away from me.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #34
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Part 2 of the brainwash

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...207-1ak61.html

Quote:
Bans on drinking and phones would save lives: report Adam Carey
February 8, 2011

DRINK-DRIVING laws could be toughened to reduce the limit from .05 to .02 or even zero for people aged under 26, after a national road safety report found younger drivers contributed to more than a third of alcohol-related road deaths.

The possibility of banning mobile phone use while driving is also raised by the report, which says that all phone use is a dangerous distraction. It is currently legal to use a hands-free device while driving.

''There is evidence to support bans on all mobile phone use while driving,'' it states.

Advertisement: Story continues below However, the state government has indicated it favours current laws allowing use of hands-free mobile phones for all but learner and probationary drivers.

The report reveals that in Victoria, those aged 18 to 25 account for just 13 per cent of licensed drivers, but 36 per cent of all drink-drivers killed in road crashes.

''Reducing the legal BAC [blood alcohol content] limit from 0.05 to zero (or 0.02) for young drivers up to the age of 26 would prevent a significant number of deaths and serious injuries per year across Australia,'' the report states.

''It has been suggested that this would have a similar benefit as raising the legal drinking age from 18 to 21 years without the same level of impact on the community.''

The draft report, which is being reviewed by all transport ministers, noted the experience of Sweden, which reduced its drink-driving limit from .05 to .02 in the 1990s and had a 10 per cent drop in fatal crashes involving alcohol.

But road safety expert Missy Rudin-Brown warned such a change would not affect the more serious drink-drive offenders. ''Lowering the blood-alcohol limit from .05 to .02 for drivers is not likely to have that much of a significant effect on crash risk, because the people who are .02 or .05 are the same people, they have just one drink,'' said Dr Rudin-Brown, senior research fellow at Monash University Accident Research Centre.

The report also proposes greater use of alcohol locking devices to prevent drink-drivers getting behind the wheel, arguing that with their use, drink driving could be almost eliminated within 10 years.

Victoria Police reacted cautiously to the proposal. A spokeswoman said any decision to toughen drink-driving laws ''would need to be well researched and evidence-based''.

Victoria's police minister, Peter Ryan, said he was against a mobile phone ban.

''These things are always worth considering but I have my misgivings … '' he said on 3AW. ''It would cause a lot of interruption to the way in which people live their lives.''

There was little support for a ban among car makers. Holden safety integration manager, Steve Curtis, said a balance needed to be struck between technological advancement and avoiding driver distraction.

The draft report is up for consultation until February 18 and scheduled to take effect later this year.

With STEVE COLQUHOUN
Old 08-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #35
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
& perving at the hot traffic controller at road works. ALL distractions are dangerous.
don't ban them please .....

Old 08-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #36
Struggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
This is not the problem. Its these silly little girls mainly on there p plates, who constantly type crap to one another , and constsntly looking down while they already have no idea how to drive, do this on the freeway at 100+ like im sure they all do and bang, one second ands its a headon, most likely killing people. Not long back I was driving along a stright road ,2 lanes and all of a sudden this car starts to veer into my lane, I look over and this silly ***** is typing crap into her phone. Then when I stopped next to her she wants to be a smartarse, I gave her a major serve, she very quickly wound her window up and moved forward to get away from me.

Spot on Dave, I'm on the road and I often beep the horn at people when they are texting
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #37
Fled74
The Thread Killa

OMG like I'm SO good at multitasking LOL

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #38
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The clue to this particular piece of brain dead bureaucracy is in one telling little paragraph:

Quote:
Last financial year almost 50,000 drivers were fined more than $11 million for calling, texting, reaching, even touching their phone while driving - more than double the number fined six years ago.
As we are all fully cognisant of the fact that revenue beats life saving (and the latter being a somewhat dubious likelihood anyway) we know that $11 million and growing is going to be a far bigger pull for our revenue hungry governments.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #39
The Outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Part 2 of the brainwash

oh dear.

so because younger males are most likely to drink and drive over the .05 limit who then crash we should lower the limit?
The Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #40
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A story on ACA the other night shows its some bald headed muppet from Monash University thats trying to push this crap upon us. The footage showed was people trying to text and talk on the phone while trying to negotiate hazzards at 60kph.

The course looked like it was setup for failure, and in no way peplicated real life road situations. It was a stacked experiment.

If I wonder if it is still ok for me to talk out loud when I answer the voices in my own head.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #41
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
There was a similar story a while ago http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11269652, and what I said in that thread still stands... if they're going to reduce the BAC limit to 0.02, they may as well reduce it to 0.00 - otherwise, too many people will be caught out after only one drink.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post