Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Focus v Fiesta???

As some may have read earier wifey and I are looking for a new/near new car. Ive got my heart set on a ford badge but the lancer and cerato are also in the mix. Anyway the focus and fiesta are confusing me a little. Mianly when comparing side to side for example.

Price, couple of grand difference, Fiesta zetec average 22k focus zetec average 25k.

Size, only really boot size is main difference (focus 100l bigger).

Kit, leather in focus zetec but fiesta zetec sportier

Obviously engine size too 2lt Focus and 1.6 Fiesta

Im just not sure why they have two cars so simmilar, especially now with the Fiesta sedan (not overly interested in because there is no zetec). Mainly because it makes our decision that one car harder lol.

The main thing we are concerned about it boot space in the fiesta for a future pram, has anyone had experiance with a pram or similar in one?

Also has anyone had experiance with an econtic Fiesta, good/bad/gymic?

Any other advice on the two would be great, as I respect your advice more than someone just trying to make a sale.

Cheers

starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would also take into consideration that the Focus is being replaced by a new model in the not too distant future - dont know when off the top of my head.

Both great cars your considering. I think when tossing up about size, always err on the side of caution and go for the bigger car.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Have you gone and compared both? If either one will suit your needs go see them in the flesh and test drive them. You should work out a solution.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I have 2 kids (a 5-year-old and a 9-month-old) and there's enough room in my 2005 WP Fiesta for the booster seat and rear-facing baby seat in the back, and the pram in the boot (along with several bags of groceries). The WS/WT Fiestas are more spacious inside, but if you can afford it, get the larger car.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I would also take into consideration that the Focus is being replaced by a new model in the not too distant future - dont know when off the top of my head.

Both great cars your considering. I think when tossing up about size, always err on the side of caution and go for the bigger car.
I think it will be 4th quarter for new Focus.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Correct
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I got a new LV Focus, the interior is average compared to the WS Fiesta, the WT is all cheap-*** plasticy now though.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
BrisVegas
Noobie

For a while there we had both a LS Focus Zetec and a WS Fiesta Zetec. The Focus was great, but felt like a generation older than the Fez. The Focus was heaps bigger inside and had a gruntier motor. We ended up selling the Focus and bought a Pajero as we didn't really need two such similar cars, and wanted to start camping offroad and beaches etc. My wife got so attached to the Fiesta, that it was the keeper.

FWIW, I find the seats more comfortable in the Fiesta and it has much more gadgets and phone integration etc. My kids are only 5 & 3, so they fit ok in the Fiesta for now.

If you're not in a rush, I'd wait for the new Focus. If you want something now, the Fiesta is the better car I reckon.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #9
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having a petrol version of each, I feel qualified to answer... It depends on what you're after. I find them both in the same ballpark for power and space, though the Fiesta is slightly tighter in the rear. If it's just you and the Mrs, the Fiesta will do the job. It'll also handle two/three kids in the back up until at least teen years. As someone said, the current Fiesta is half a generation ahead of the current Focus (the upcoming Focus looks like it gains a similar interior, and similar specs, such as powershift auto etc).

That said, I think there's some good deals going on Focuses (Foci?) at present, and they will only get cheaper as the new model gets closer. You'll probably find the equivalent Focus will be about the same price as the Fiesta when there's normally about 3-4k between them. The Focus would also be better for taking more than just the two of you on trips longer than about two hours.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #10
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh, and no problem fitting a baby seat in the back of either. You'd need one of the smaller ones to fit in the back of the Fiesta hatchback, though. Not that a large one would fit in the back of the Focus hatchback.

Can't tell you about the sedans for either. But I'd ask a friend who has a baby to borrow a pram and give it a try in the caryard.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
The WT is all cheap-*** plasticy now though.
I strongly disagree with that statement. Although the WT Fiesta has lost the soft-touch dash material, everything else appears exactly the same. Having been all over the WT, and driven a few, I think it's all the car the WS is, with even more kit. The WT also is also quieter, as the Thai build model incorporated numerous changes to NVH that the original hasn't yet.

In terms of the size between the Fiesta and Focus, this will be corrected with the new Focus as it moves up in size yet again. A similar case happened when BMW launched the X3, it was almost X5 size, yet the new X5 corrected the difference. I'm all the the Fiesta, yes it's less powerful, but in comparison to the Focus is a much more accomplished car. If you can wait till the end of the year, the Focus should turn the table back around with all the tech, safety and features gains seen in US/Euro Focus models.

Again, the best way is to try it. Take a baby seat, take it shopping, put a suitcase in the boot, bring the kiddies, that way you know it will suit your needs. Good luck!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #12
taxi driver

After driving both models off a cliff at the same time. Ive came to the conclusion than the greater weight of the focus made it hit the ground a split second before the lighter festiva. But really the differance was so small it took a high speed camera to detect it.
taxi driver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I had a Fiesta when my XR5 was in for a service and i hate the interior to no end, the WQ is much better inside IMO. Utimately for the the Fez doesnt have a model that suits, the zetec is ok but just doesnt have the go. The XR5 filled my needs more then i expected.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 02:18 AM   #14
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

I say go with the Lancer...
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
BrisVegas
Noobie

As I mentioned earlier, I've owned both and still own a Fiesta. You can fit two full size car seats in the back of both. I've got the MaxiRider style ones with arm rests and cup holders and all that stuff on them. You will not safely, or comfortably, fit a 5th person in between car seats across the back seat of either, unless they're small booster seats/squabs.

Neither Focus/Fiesta are a comfortable fit with rear facing carseats. In fact, not much short of a fullsize sedan or 4WD will give you the room needed for rear facing seats, remembering they're not allowed to touch the front seatbacks.

We use the Fiesta as our runabout for the family (two kids). We can fit the big 3 wheel pram in the boot with the wheels off or the umbrella stroller and a bunch of other stuff.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Scratch that, it will be 3rd quarter now.

The review in Carsguide raved about the Focus, saying it will be best in class when it arrives, yet somehow they only gave it 7.5 out of 10 when they had barely anything to complain about
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post