Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #31
Aldo

There advertised for more but do they sell at those prices? Refresh me on how long have you had yours on the market for?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #32
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hate to say it but the two little words "not gen" mean it's value is only that which has been put into it in parts, plus whatever an XY of that condition is worth retail.

It'd be like getting a V8 Falcon and going to the Ford dealer to buy GT panels, stripes, badges, and interior (or getting them from a wreck), and making a new Ford GT replica.

You might have spent a fortune, but it's still just a replica...interesting, but only a copy of the real thing. You see it all the time in the world of motorcycles...adverts for massively customised Harleys that say things like "$50,000 spent, selling for $35,000", whereas a proper custom produced by a proper custom shop will, if you spent $50,000, be able to be sold for "$50,000", as it isn't just a copy of the "real thing"

Buy it, drive it, enjoy it, but don't think of it as "an investment".
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #33
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
What planet are you on?? Good genuine ones are 100k and more for good condition or good combos..

If the guy ends up asking around the 50k mark for it, consider that you can buy my good condition Genuine S.A. XYGT for 50k..

Replica vs Genuine at the same price should be a no brainer.

Id say faker prices have topped out.. Theres tunns of em about in varying forms and quality..
A good replica with all genuine GT stuff will be the exception to this, but they are few and far between.
Most of the replicars I see popping up, and the made to order ones the professional shops are now building are full of repo junk and are not worth near that..
The repo stuff makes them easily spotted as fakers.
Donny - Good Genuine XY GTs are 'asking' $100k + but are they selling?
REAL money - replica's shouldn't be any more than $35k (probably $40k for an accurate fully restored replica)...

As you have found yourself Donny - the market is slow on the higher end - you've been selling your SA GT for quite some time - and it is still for sale...

with the OP - i'd be asking lots of questions... as looks can be deceiving...
If it's been sitting 10 years - untouched - it will need more work than you think to sort it out...
If it's in great condition - then it may have been built/restored in the period of time before the 'inflation' of prices... and may have been done quite well...

But - Investing in a Replica for the sake of return... you won't make lots of cash... better off investing in shares/real estate/elsewhere...

BUT - If you want to buy yourself a great weekend cruiser that turns heads, and twists the shaker...

By All Means - Consider it...
Old 04-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #34
disco

I spent close to $40K building my XY GT replica 7 years ago, that was at a time when I could have picked up a fully restored gen VF XY GT for $49K! My replica is still worth around the same money.

I would never buy a replica GT as an investment (actually I don't buy any cars as an investment), however a replica GT is great for being used and abused lol.

I've clocked well over 50000kms in my replica and loved every km, I built it for myself and not for a return on money.

So stick with the wife's advice and let it go, unless it's a real bargain...say under $25K and it's immac.

cheers,
disco.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #35
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Donny - Good Genuine XY GTs are 'asking' $100k + but are they selling?
REAL money - replica's shouldn't be any more than $35k (probably $40k for an accurate fully restored replica)...

As you have found yourself Donny - the market is slow on the higher end - you've been selling your SA GT for quite some time - and it is still for sale...
Theres been a few changing hands over the 100k mark, most of those cars arent openly advertised, and unless you know certain people you dont often get to hear of real sales.. Theres also a lot of cars that are optimistically priced for various reasons, but nothing new there. The really good cars are still selling for good money..

I agree that replicas should be around 30k to 40k max, but the reality is, to build one from scratch, you will blow that budget just building a (repo quality) replica, unless you can do all the work yourself.

The market is slow and hard, but theres a lot of people out there still wanting to buy. As far as XY GT's go, my car is at the lowest end of that market, and is priced very fairly for the quality of the car.

To anyone with half a brain cell, my cars a lotta car for that money. An Aus delivered car is double that an the only real diffrence is 2 grands worth of new trim..

My cars only seriously been advertised since mid January this yr. Prior to that its only been listed on a few limited visibility internet sites.
Iv had a lot of interest since its been in Just Cars Mag, so Im keeping my fingers crossed for a positive outcome. Lots of tyre kickers and dreamers, lots of dumb idiots thinkin its an Aus GT for that money, a few who are considering moving from a replica to the real deal and I am also getting some serious other leeds too..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #36
Ibrox90
Banned

Mods you can close this thread, if you wish, missus says no :(

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #37
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah such a shame
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #38
XYLINC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An accurate fully restored replica will cost you twice that to build. The day people stop paying $70k to $80k+ for one is the day they stop getting built. When that happens, the very average cars that currently sell for $35k to $40k will then cost more.

I wish they were worth $40k, that would mean theyre costing me $30k to put together. I could argue replicas are worth their money all day long, maybe not as long as Donny spends arguing Rhinos should be worth more than they are but the point is it all comes back to your own position at the time. If youve got a replica to sell you argue why they should be $70k, if you are looking to buy one they shouldnt be any more than $40k for a top notch example. If youre wanting a genuine GT you base your values on the handfull of undesireable combos that are lingering on the net forever, if youre selling a genuine GT you justify your asking price on the high end cars that change hands quietly. If youre selling a Rhino you compare it to AUS built cars to show how good their value is and if youre looking to buy a Rhino well you may as well reach down, pick up your best friend Wilson the basket ball and go grab a coconut becuase you really are all alone in this world.
XYLINC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #39
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYLINC

An accurate fully restored replica will cost you twice that to build. The day people stop paying $70k to $80k+ for one is the day they stop getting built. When that happens, the very average cars that currently sell for $35k to $40k will then cost more.

I wish they were worth $40k, that would mean theyre costing me $30k to put together. I could argue replicas are worth their money all day long, maybe not as long as Donny spends arguing Rhinos should be worth more than they are but the point is it all comes back to your own position at the time. If youve got a replica to sell you argue why they should be $70k, if you are looking to buy one they shouldnt be any more than $40k for a top notch example. If youre wanting a genuine GT you base your values on the handfull of undesireable combos that are lingering on the net forever, if youre selling a genuine GT you justify your asking price on the high end cars that change hands quietly. If youre selling a Rhino you compare it to AUS built cars to show how good their value is and if youre looking to buy a Rhino well you may as well reach down, pick up your best friend Wilson the basket ball and go grab a coconut becuase you really are all alone in this world.

That was well written Lincoln.. Very, very true too.. But..

What you have written about buying a Rhino (in bold) highlights one reason why Rhinos are poorly regarded by many.
Many have a poor attitude towards these cars... Why??
(money Id say or asset value protection, both common attributes of investors not true entheusiasts)

These cars deserve much more respect than that, and Im saying that as an entheusiast, not some profiteer..

Old 04-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #40
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09
you're mad - wait another coupla years when no one can afford to run em then you can pick up a bargain and push it round ya back yard

50k is way too much for a rep - have a proper look around - gen gt's letting go for that - if you could get it for say 20-30k then maybe, I cant see values rising back up for anything other than the elite with certain nostalgic history...
only people who cant afford to run them are people buried to there ears in debt,i have no problems running a v8.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #41
XYLINC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
That was well written Lincoln.. Very, very true too.. But..

What you have written about buying a Rhino (in bold) highlights one reason why Rhinos are poorly regarded by many.
Many have a poor attitude towards these cars... Why??
(money Id say or asset value protection, both common attributes of investors not true entheusiasts)

These cars deserve much more respect than that, and Im saying that as an entheusiast, not some profiteer..
Just so I'm clear, so im a profiteer and not an enthusiast? I would consider myself more of an enthusiast than most. If I did what I do purely for the money I wouldnt be doing it. I love these cars, put more effort into the detail than I really need to as the majority of the buyers arent aware of what should be there and what shouldnt. If I worked out what I make from each car, divided it by the hours I spend I would get a better hourly rate flipping burgers at maccas. There are genuine decent guys out there that want a nice car and know that its expensive to do. I regularly have calls from these guys that have one of my cars from up to 4 years or so ago, asking advice, sending me pics of their car at car shows etc. Those that havent bought my cars I offer free advice to if they see another car they like. They dont all know what to look for so I can help. Cant imagine a profiteer doing that.
Whether they buy mine or not is irrelevant, if they dont the next guy probably will. Never had a problem selling a car yet.

If memory serves me correct didnt you buy the Rhino because it was well priced then not long after started advertising it at a far greater price? You werent a genuine Rhino enthusiast and have admitted freely XA's and B's are your thing so isnt that profiteering? We're not much different, I just do it more often than you.

You know your stuff, weve had plenty of phone chats and weve met so dont think Im having a personal crack at you Donny but I have sat back quietly while youve been running replicas down, particularly of late, you are the most vocal on the subject and its wearing thin.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #42
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
If memory serves me correct didnt you buy the Rhino because it was well priced then not long after started advertising it at a far greater price? You werent a genuine Rhino enthusiast and have admitted freely XA's and B's are your thing so isnt that profiteering? We're not much different, I just do it more often than you.
Id say that is one of the reasons Rhino's are shunned as most people who hear the term get a picture of someone buying one cheap in SA where they weren't revered, bringing it over and making a quick buck.
Not that im saying that is how he got his.

I'd go as far as to say if he changed the trim himself and advertised it as a rep he'd get more bites.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 01:04 AM   #43
Donny

Quote:
Just so I'm clear, so im a profiteer and not an enthusiast? I would consider myself more of an enthusiast than most. If I did what I do purely for the money I wouldnt be doing it. I love these cars, put more effort into the detail than I really need to.

You know your stuff, weve had plenty of phone chats and weve met so dont think Im having a personal crack at you Donny but I have sat back quietly while youve been running replicas down, particularly of late, you are the most vocal on the subject and its wearing thin.
Bit touchy there ole mate... I didnt say I was talking about anyone in particular, an certainly not yourself.. (You know me better n that, Id say you specifically if I was meanin you)..

I bought the Rhino strictly as a means to an ends car, Iv never ever hidden that.. Iv never been an XY fan, but still gave one a go.
Iv never been a die hard Rhino fan in so much as how the other owners push hard for originality etc. Iv always considered the trim in them ugly as Iv said to you on numerous occasions and the oddball looking ones do them absolutly no favours either.
I like my cars with a personal touch.. But at the end of the day a Rhino is still a genuine XYGT and should be respected as one.

The plan from day 1 was always to get me back into the models I liked more. When I first put it on the market via the net, I listed it at a fair market price, and hoped it would give me enough to get another XA. If I sell at where its advertised now that wont happen. So I dont see that as profiteering..

As for replicas, its not the replicas that Im running down its the repo parts used in them and the many examples that are rushed together and the lack of attention to detail.. For example, Iv always been fond of Disco Daves Electric Blue XY GT rep, fitted with a lot of genuine stuff and a motor that is exilarating to say the least.. Im just a detail-aholic and I see many poorly detailed higher end reps out there claiming to be concourse when their not as close as advertised..(again not meaning your cars, as their some of the closer to correct ones)

Old 05-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #44
disco

Thanks for the compliment Donny...yr always welcome in the ole blue beast mate.

Just remember what we did to poor old Nick in his genuine Aus XY GT...lol, he was flat to the boards!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md01DRY_cl4

cheers,
disco.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #45
ams77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is it possible to know what at least was the asking price for this replica?
ams77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 03:08 AM   #46
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
Thanks for the compliment Donny...yr always welcome in the ole blue beast mate.

Just remember what we did to poor old Nick in his genuine Aus XY GT...lol, he was flat to the boards!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md01DRY_cl4

cheers,
disco.
Cheers Disco, the blue beast really handed it to poor ole Nicko on the day.. That engine of yours is still a pearler even after all these years, an still going strong..

Old 05-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #47
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

I love what you do with the XY GT replicas Linc

If only you got into XAs then maybe I may be able to afford one! But the dollars arent in XAs for all the effort unfortunately
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #48
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Chuck the money in shares if you want an investment. Or term deposits, they don't rust or get stolen.

ask kasimatis how he feels now after giving thousands of people that advice and lost all there money
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #49
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrox90
Mods you can close this thread, if you wish, missus says no :(
So you cant buy it and your not going to put the contact dtls in the public domain so that other interested parties may consider the car......

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #50
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
I love what you do with the XY GT replicas Linc

If only you got into XAs then maybe I may be able to afford one! But the dollars arent in XAs for all the effort unfortunately
Do you think if we all ask nicely he may consider doing at least one?
C'mon linc, how about it. Please..........
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #51
XYLINC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like I said Donny, Im not having a personal crack at you and if you say the profiteer/not enthusiast comment wasnt directed at me then I believe you. If you read the way it was written, particularly as the post was a reply to my post, its not hard to see how I would have thought that though.

Im all for buying, selling, playing with cars to get to your ideal car, its exactly what Im doing, and yes I would call that profiteering if you are making money. If you dont make anything out of the deal then you are only not a profiteer by circumstance. Regardless, above all else we are enthusiasts, probably bordering on fanatics. Why I was "touchy" was probably an insinuation that I was one and not the other. We all buy stuff if we think its cheap and we think we can sell it for more. The whole replica thing has been building up so I just got it off my chest. Youre still welcome for dinner anytime youre down this way!

George and Pinkbits, would love to do an XA and yes youre right, no money in it! Just have to wait until someone wants me to do one for them or if I buy one and do it for myself. While on that subject, anyone aware of the asking price on the wild plum RPO coupe mentioned elsewhere on this site? I enquired about the yellow one in WA but it didnt tick all the boxes for the asking price.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #52
Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
****.. ****.. keep the money in the bank.. buy a house instead.......
Best answer. You will regret buying the car. In ten years it may be worth 20-30k more whereas your house will be worth 200-300k more. Cars are not an investment in any way shape or form.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #53
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub
Best answer. You will regret buying the car. In ten years it may be worth 20-30k more whereas your house will be worth 200-300k more. Cars are not an investment in any way shape or form.
Best post in this thread. Cars require ongoing maintenance regardless of whether you use them or not, it is not just a buy now - hold for 10 years - sell proposition. Very very few people make real money on cars ever.

If you had paid $4,500 for a new XY GT in 1970, it would have bought about 70% of an average house. The GT is now worth $150,000 if it is really good, less than half of an average house.

Plenty of people make money on shares by studying the form and making informaed decisions, planety of people lose when they trust greedy idiots to manage their money for them (Cassimatis, Hoy etc) without doing any research.

Buy some quality shares, add 10% of the value of your portfolio each year (to mimic the amount you would spend on maintenance of a car), reinvest your dividends, wait ten years and buy whatever car or 2) you like.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #54
Falconxf88

Offer 15, hope for the best :p

You cant skid/drive a share.
Falconxf88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #55
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well if it's not mint not a cent past 20k.

Even if you get it for 20k it's nothing special, sorry.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #56
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the comparisons to houses
Its really funny
Who in there right mind in 1971 thought for even a second that the P3 they were driving would ever in their wildest dreams be worth 500-750K in 2000 ???
Noone
My parents had 1
IF they were beaten on the streets by another P3
It was souped up and on the prowl
Back in the 70s they were worth near bugger all
(Dad had a formula 5000 motor in a HT Holden eating P3s for lunch)
Too many people get hooked up/sucked into the
"Ill made a motsa" theme
Enjoy it for what it is
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post