Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
SAB_DA_MAN
Starter Motor

Default Electronic Shift Kit Removal

Hi Guys.

A mate of mine has a Au Series 1 Fairmont Ghia, and has a bit of a problem, he has removed a electronic shift kit which was on it, he reset the the ECU, by removing the positive terminal for 40 mins to 1 hour and followed the procedure which is on AUfalcon, and he went for a drive and it still shifts as if the shift kit is still connected, but it's all been removed. Is he missing something? Is there anytrhing else that needs to be done to get it back to factory shifts. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

SAB_DA_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

is it in power or econ mode?
Old 22-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

does it have an aftermarket servo as well? if so, it will still have firmer shifts.

i had a BnM electronic shift kit in my VT many moons ago and also had a corvette servo installed and 1-2 gear change was still a bit firmer than standard... however not massive.

As im not sure what the installation is like in this scenario, the only thing i can think is the e-s-k was removed while still in stage-2 (high) and thus the line pressure is still at that.... Maybe one hour wasnt long enough for the ecu to de-learn.
Old 23-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
SAB_DA_MAN
Starter Motor

What I found out was the auto wasn't modified mechanically in any way, just that the owner before him (a family friend) had installed that eletronic shift kit, and it's in economy mode. And another thing he told me was when he reset the ECU it said on his cluster "Fair" just when he switched the ignition to on and when he started the car it still showed him the daily kay's, as far as I know when you disconnect a battery the daily km's travalled should clear, I don't know is that normal for an AU.
Old 23-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

fair meaning fairmont cluster... nothing odd there. mine did that after disconnecting the battery properly (except had a t for tickford)... hmmm not sure i can help sorry.
Old 24-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
SAB_DA_MAN
Starter Motor

Some news, my mate went around to and auto electrician place, they told it could be a burnt transistor in the ECU which leaves the S5 solenoid grounded meaning thats why it shifts hard, to know 100% they need to run it on a dyno and see if ECU is operating the S5 solenoid correclty, if the ECU is fine, well them it could be actual S5 solenoid in the auto itself. And on that note anyone knows where he can get a used ECU it's a wr2a-12a650-kd, as they qouted him $400 for a reco ECU.
Old 27-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when he dissconnected the shift kit did he rejoin the wire that was cut during installation? it is pin 81 on the ECU if this is not joined ( 2 shift kit wires were attached here) it will not shift properly

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
SAB_DA_MAN
Starter Motor

Yea everything was connected back, from what i saw pin 71 you had to tap into and pin 81 you had to cut and connect the shift kit. He said he reconnected pin 81 correctly, I read that if he didn't it would go into limp mode, which in this case it goes through all the gears. Also an update he had his auto serviced and checked the s5 solenoid and it came up alright not problems with the trans, might be the ecu. I'll get hime to recheck his connections just incase. Thanks for the input you guys have been great.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
SAB_DA_MAN
Starter Motor

All done! All the connections were correct turned out to be the ECU, because the owner before my mate (a relo) left the shift kit on all the time and it must of burnt a transistor in the ECU which controls the S5 solenoid. About $500 later with a reco ECU and BEM programming, it's all good now.

Thanks again for all the help.