Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #61
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I agree with Dave 3911, Stefan and any others who agree your better off having only 1 income, im just glad someone else said it first for fear of the stigma that Centrelink ricipients get from some on here...

Why would you or your wife bust your *** for less than slave labour wages when the figures are laid out, if the government puts in place a system which allows you to legally prevent it.
Ok working 38hrs a week is morally fantastic and great for 1's self esteem, but you cant pay for fuel, food, mortgage payments and clothing with morals.

from DAS...for taking his taxes.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #62
Cheech
HELL YES

@ mr Hardware (post 44)

No its not incorrect. I said the second job will be required to be taxed at HIS highest tax bracket. As we do not know what he earns he MAY go into the next tax bracket.

Also with child benefits (not childcare benefits) there is a reduction at a certain figure. I think it was 94K combined for one child and higher with each additional child.It ceases at a certain amount. If your combined income goes over and you are collecting these n=benefits you will be liable to pay them back.

2019 Ssangyong Rexton fourby (the daily driver, tow pig & snowmobile)
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #63
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
^^^^Spot on, why my wife stays home, she needs to earn 100k before it even starts to make sense for her to go back to work.
Its good to see others that share the same view as I.

My missus stays home and looks after our boy. So much damn cheaper than her going to work as well as me. The only reason I wish to get rid of my XR8 is to cut down on money I owe, I can easily afford to keep it if I wanted to. But rest assured it will be replaced with another V8 Ford daily that I will pay with cash instead of stupid loans.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #64
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down

When we had the second child the wife stayed home, as she was working for $50 a week after child care etc, so not worth it.

Stay home look after the kids, and who ever earns more go to work, the other person can look after the kids, cook and clean, making life much easier for everyone including the children.

Once they go to school both parents can work again.

Selling the car to save $15 per week makes no sense at all, it will never work, seriously, do you smoke? Do you drink? Do you have internet? Pay TV? Buy bottled water? Buy soft drink at home? Buy your lunch once a week or more? Buy any magazines? Buy junk food? Have any club memberships? Go out for dinner once a month? Hire dvd's? Mobile phone plan? If you answer yes to any of these, selling the car is not your answer, any of these will save you more than $15 per week.

Just one bottle of water a day adds up to $21 per week minimum, smoking a half pack a day is around $60 per week minimum, buying your lunch and morning tea once a week only is around $15-20 per day. A can of coke a day is $15 a week etc etc you get the idea.....

If all selling your car is going to give you is $15 per week, even if it gives you $30 per week its a waste of time and you need to look else where, as one set of tyres or one minor break down in the replacement car will blow the budget for the next year or two.

By the sounds of it just budgeting on stuff like mobile phones, etc and one of you quitting work should see you right, unless you both earn in excess of $1500 minimum clear after tax, if that is the case you are living well above your means and have just extended yourself way too far.

If any one of you earns less that $1400 clear per week why the hell are you working, you need to sit down and re do your sums as its cheaper to stay at home, and may be work a few hours part time when the other parter is at
home, also consider shift work, so one parent is always home to minimise child care to a few hours a day.

Family day care run through the council is also an option my wife and I used to save money. Saving much more than $15 per week , probably cut your child care bill in half.

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 10-03-2011 at 12:17 AM.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #65
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

I have no math or numbers for what Im about to say, this is just one EL brother to another.....
I waited 8 years to get into another EL, and God as my witness I will not get rid of it unless I was left with no choice but to live in it!!!!
Family 1st dude but I truly hope you dont get rid of it!!!!
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #66
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Selling the car to save $15 per week makes no sense at all, it will never work, seriously, do you smoke? Do you drink? Do you have internet? Pay TV? Buy bottled water? Buy soft drink at home? Buy your lunch once a week or more? Buy any magazines? Buy junk food? Have any club memberships? Go out for dinner once a month? Hire dvd's? Mobile phone plan? If you answer yes to any of these, selling the car is not your answer, any of these will save you more than $15 per week....
I think there is the answer regarding the car expenses.

It seems to me that the real issue is not the car, but budgets generally and
the arrangements of how best to take advantage of government programs
and benefits.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #67
MAD
Petro-sexual

Is it possible that you could stay home during the day to look after the kids while the missus is at work and get yourself a shelf packing, or other, job for a few hours a night? Or the other way round of course.
You could reduce costs AND increase income at the same time.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #68
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech
@ mr Hardware (post 44)

No its not incorrect. I said the second job will be required to be taxed at HIS highest tax bracket. As we do not know what he earns he MAY go into the next tax bracket.
My apologies, quite right you are.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #69
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

We are looking at getting a nanny for a couple of days a week and the mother in law for one day a week.
If that comes to fruition then it will be all good again. Mother in law will do it for free and the nanny will hopefully be under $100 a day. If nanny is $100 then that is $50 a day better off when she is there (taking into account the rebate) and $249 when the mother in law looks after them.

When the kids are all at school in two years time we'll be on easy street again.

We are also looking at downgrading our house and getting rid of our homeloan.

Thanks for the advice and contributions to this thread.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #70
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8
My EL XR8 has to run on Ultimate 98 for the tune its on. It can go on Premium as well if I flick the tune switch over.
how much to retune it for 91?
Old 10-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #71
LightningStrike

Glad to hear things could be looking up for you!

Winter White AUII eGas 1 Tonner Goooone!

Winter White SY Ghia AWD 6spd Injected Gas
Mazda 3 SP25GT
==========================
LightningStrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #72
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Re the childcare rebate, i actually heard that as of June (or is it July) this year an option will be given for the rebate to be paid fortnightly which will be much better than quarterly.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #73
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
If you're going to do it, then you'd me mad not to look at LPG. Look at it like this; How much fuel money does it cost you to drive 100km? personally, I pay less than $10 in fuel costs to go that far and that's in a Fairlane.
Same here... Just went from Wagga to Surfers via Syd and the Pacific hwy, then home via Dubbo and the Newell Hwy in the Barge 2 adults and a 13yo, bootfull of luggage and 1/2 tank of Petrol.

Result.........3025kms for $290
Old 10-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #74
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XESP351
Re the childcare rebate, i actually heard that as of June (or is it July) this year an option will be given for the rebate to be paid fortnightly which will be much better than quarterly.
I heard this also but I think that was an election promise. And we all know they never eventuate to anything.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #75
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Don't sell the car as you will regret it later on. As others have suggested just try and cut down on another expenses like entertainment or something. You should be able to find an extra $20 somewhere when you add it all up.

Sometimes sacrifices need to be made in order to get what we want. I know I'm not in the same situation but I have had to make a few cut backs as well that are my choice. I am only 20 and have already had to sell my things in the past just to have some extra money to help out when things are tight. I have changed alot in the last year that some people don't like but I don't care it's my choice. For starters I never go out drinking with mates anymore, the most I drink is on the odd occasions like new years or birthdays. I rarely do a lot of things now when I think of it must be turning into a hermit lol. I barely even eat to be honest, maybe 2 meals a day just to save money so I can do the things I want to do. At the moment I am in the middle of building a motor for my XF to enter a burnout comp in July. People keep ask why I want to spend my money on a ***** ford as they call it but it keeps me happy and I know it will be worth it in the end. Can't help it if I prefer to work on my car instead of going out and blowing a few hundred dollars in one night. Anyway enough of my crap

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #76
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS
I hate childcare. It always takes a chunk out of everyone's pay.

The thing I don't understand is why do they give you 50% every 3 months? Why not make childcare 50% cheaper. Stupid government.

They should change the 50% rebate to monthly instead of every 3 months.
Because they dont own the child care centres, and all the regulations cost money to comply with. So what they can do is try and put a few dollars back in your pocket to try and help out (althhough usually if an increase happens the cost of childcare goes up anyway)

Personally i wouldnt sell, you will regret it and realistically wont come out in front. You know the history, you know the kids fit and you know if its safe. If you buy another cars as others stated their is a high probability you will have to spend money on it and eat up any saving pretty quickly.

Get a pizza run to cover the extra expenses for 12 months or so.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #77
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedXT
Because they dont own the child care centres, and all the regulations cost money to comply with. So what they can do is try and put a few dollars back in your pocket to try and help out (althhough usually if an increase happens the cost of childcare goes up anyway)
Yes, I often thought it strange that child care centre's (like the defunct ABC) was listed on the stock exchange could be subsidised by the Gov!.

To my way of thinking the taxpayers were helping the shareholders whilst the parents copped the rough end.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #78
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also do you have friends that are in the same position? If your wifes/your days of work are flexible then you could possibly look after your friends child on your day off while they work and vice versa. This works out well as it saves you a day of child care. I am hoping to do this once the time arrives, the luxury I have is my good friends are all very close in age and are all starting to have families.

Good luck with it all.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #79
Cam
Stroking it...

Interesting thread, as a working (full time) single father to a 2 year old, I can empathize with the costs of childcare, it really is a killer.

But all of this for $15 a week? A few thoughts..I do not know specific circumstances, so just a couple ideas..

Have you tried changing your driving style? I don't think saving $15 a week (depending on the K's you do) is out of the question by babying your car (as its manual I assume?) I know it is an initial outlay, but perhaps even a 91RON tune?

You say it costs you over 1k in childcare a week, I previously worked in childcare and have a diploma in childrens services, when I was in the industry I'd come work for you 5 days a week for that kind of cash! i.e. Look for a Full time Nanny.

Personally, unless the job your at now offers a REAL chance of career progression, then I say quit and be a stay at home dad. If I could afford it I would..

It's always going to be hard (believe me I know!), all the best with it.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #80
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS
I heard this also but I think that was an election promise. And we all know they never eventuate to anything.
This so far seems to be it, have not had any training on it @ work, but that could change at any time... lol

OP in regards to nanny, you would be able to claim some of her/his fee's (albeit its almost nothing) if nanny is a registered carer provider
Old 11-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #81
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

lol training today on new rebate stuff. Will take effect 4 July.
(anyhow sorry for off topic post)