Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Did/Do you have a "barn" car & What are you planning to do with it
Yes I have one, I will do it up "one day", Ive had offers, but wont sell, & really, I wont get to it 14 18.42%
Yes I had one. Youre right, it went to the garage in the sky. Should have sold it, & saved the car. 1 1.32%
Yes I had one, but I sold it, in time too! I hope its tearing up the road somewhere. 8 10.53%
Yes I had one, but I did actually get to "one day". Its now/being restored 17 22.37%
No I dont have one, I couldnt do that to a car. But I do know of someone who does. 18 23.68%
No I dont have one, but I do know of a car, but the owner is never home, etc 6 7.89%
No I dont have one, I knew of one, tried to buy it, but the owner wouldnt sell. Its scrap now. :-( 12 15.79%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #31
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Barnyard Finds/Wrecks - The Mentality... Plus poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
He wants to keep it and one day restore it but at the moment he does not have time. Time is a very precious commodity to farmers and there are more important things to do than do up some old bike or car.
If he's anything like the farmers i know, he won't ever get time. Old farmers don't retire, they work until they can't walk due to old age.
Old 25-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #32
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans
We have a couple of what you might call "barn cars". Dad fully restored the 67 HR about ten years (or more) ago but due to a leg injury he couldn't use the clutch for extended periods of time - so that got stored away in the shed. (I'm buying it from him) also his 76 f100 xlt custom sits in there with it (due to lack of funds.) but trust me, the HR will be back on the road within the year and the F100 shouldn't be much longer (one I pay him for the HR, he'll be able to finally put that on the road again. I love that damn HR.
Easy fix for someone who has probs depressing the clutch........fit a brake booster to the clutch, problem fixed.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #33
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser '81
That's a sad story because that exact model in the pic is the very first of the coupe utilitys built by FoA. If it is still there, I'd hate to think what it would look like.
IIRC, that ute resides in the Ford museum collection. It was damaged in accident in which it's owner and creator Mr Lew Bandt, lost his life. It was restored by Ford as a tribute to Lew.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #34
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
I can understand where you're coming from BlueBeast, but at the end of the day, they are only machines. Just pieces of metal, no different from a Westinghouse. No car was ever designed to last forever. They have a useable life and after that, they are disposed of. If an old GT or SS Torana rotting away in a backyard (and I know of a few, believe me) gave someone a few years of enjoyment, then it did it's job.
This sort of reasoning plays into the hands of people who say that all old cars should be taken off the road, as "they're just machines and have outlived thier usefulness and can be easily replaced with a nice little Hyundai". Old cars are part of our history, and should be preserved. The Japanese highly prize older cars and motorbikes, even going so far as to scour the world buying (for exhorbatant prices) stuff that was once "common" but, because of thier harsh vehicle laws, mean they were long ago scrapped in Japan.

Nothing is sadder than seeing a rare old car which is just rusting away. It must be preserved so that in the future they will still be around. In the same way that people want species of animal preserved at any price for future generations, would you prefer that the only way our kids ever see a GTHO, SS Torana, or Valiant Charger is in a book?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #35
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupecouple04
here is a photo of my mates xy gt rep taken in 91 now sitting in his shed covered in boxes and inches of dust .cannot convince him to even take out and try and get started .says he has lost interest my heart bleeeds everytime i go into his shed for a drink.and he will not sell and went hard original gs fairmont.

My dads mk1 cortina was the same. My whole life I can only remember it sitting in the shed being used as storage.

The main reason he didnt do anything with it was that he was paranoid about someone knowing he had it & stealing it.

I have since convinced him to get it running again & hes having the time of his life with it.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 01:32 AM   #36
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Was just talking to a mate with an awesome barn find he may be buying soon. Its an original XA GT sedan with 27,000kms on it. Has been in storage since 1973 after taking a hit to the back quarter. Is meant to be some rare gold colour with black interior. 351/toploader/9 inch with original globes and even has the factory tyres on it but are perished. You would cry at the price too.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #37
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankclare
Was just talking to a mate with an awesome barn find he may be buying soon. Its an original XA GT sedan with 27,000kms on it. Has been in storage since 1973 after taking a hit to the back quarter. Is meant to be some rare gold colour with black interior. 351/toploader/9 inch with original globes and even has the factory tyres on it but are perished. You would cry at the price too.
Well you can't leave the bloody story there.
Old 27-03-2011, 02:40 AM   #38
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

haha dont know much else at the moment..He walked in tonight and said he might have a ford soon. I asked what sort and yeah he said XA GT and about it being hit and put in a shed in 73 etc etc. He said that he is going to buy it and get it fixed then said he'd most likely sell it to put a blower on his big block valiant or something along them lines. He is a mopar nut

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

Old 27-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #39
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
haha dont know much else at the moment.. all he told me is that he is going to buy it and get it fixed then said he'd most likely sell it to put a blower on his big block valiant or something along them lines.
That's disgraceful.
Old 28-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #40
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might make you cry Blue Beast II, its only a fairmont

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OLD-FORD-FALC...item3cb63dcb10
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #41
jixel 78

I reckon alot of people with old desireable cars just wont let them go to anyone, theyre usually wary of someone wanting to make money off them by doing what they cant or wont, that said my XC was something I drove past on my way home for years till I knockd on the door, and the owner said `seeing youre the only person to ask me about it, gimme 150 bucks and take all this other stuff with you` and proceeded to drag out two box trailers of parts, panels blocks etc etc, so its not all `no`. 12 months later the old fibro house and all the bodyshells were gone and a new house was built on the site with a new XR8 parked out the front. I thought `nah I`ll just go and check` Knocked on the door and the same bloke answered and said `mate if you hadnt come and cleared out all that stuff my missus would`ve cleared out, and I`d be still sitting here doin nuthin.Wow is that my old car?` Still got my(his) XC, and I still drive past his house every day.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #42
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

awesome story

Old 31-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #43
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
awesome story
Seconded
Old 31-03-2011, 03:49 AM   #44
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Easy fix for someone who has probs depressing the clutch........fit a brake booster to the clutch, problem fixed.
When dad was 17, he was pushing his broken down car up a road; a drunk driver hit into him as he was pushing from the rear of the car - he was crushed between his car and the other driver's car.
He was not on the road, he was off to the side.

Both of his legs were broken (badly), the left especially is still in a very poor state.
It is not a simple case of the clutch being too heavy; the problem is the continual movement of his left leg (which is his most painful) while driving a manual vehicle.

His legs made indentations on the chrome bumper of his valiant (shows the velocity of the impact)
He nearly died, spent his 18th birthday in hospital and was told he would never walk again - he was a keen footballer and played for the Glenelg under 18's... was likely to be drafted.
Against the odds, he walks; my father is my hero.
He has to suffer every day because of another idiot's stupidity, I can't imagine the amount of pain it brings him.

I only wish it was the simple fix of me putting a brake booster onto the clutch, but this isn't a perfect world. Don't take what you have for granted.
Old 31-03-2011, 04:02 AM   #45
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was at a scrap metal place the other day and was talkin to the bloke that uses the crane with the magnet they use to unload your trailer or truck, he was tellin me they had an old bloke come in with a coupe couldnt remember what model but xa- xc fully runnin nothin wrong with it but wanted it crushed when they asked him why he said it was his son's car and he had been workin under it and the jack had given way and killed him. he made them crush the car there and then to make sure it wouldnt end up back on the road.
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #46
DRM ON
~trim taut terrific~

I found this a few yrs ago in what was left of a shed in west wyalong

my mate is now doing a full resto on it
Old 31-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #47
jixel 78

Hahaha not much of a shed.Thats a ripper old ute.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #48
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper8
he was tellin me they had an old bloke come in with a coupe couldnt remember what model but xa- xc fully runnin nothin wrong with it but wanted it crushed when they asked him why he said it was his son's car and he had been workin under it and the jack had given way and killed him. he made them crush the car there and then to make sure it wouldnt end up back on the road.
If the bloke who dropped the car off was a Greek bloke then I dated this poor guys first cousin

Very sad story.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post