Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #61
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Car v's Old Car.... How the figures stack up ?

This is a great topic and I think this is probably the best way to go. Buy a car 5yrs old, keep it for 5yrs then sell as it seems once they hit 10 yrs they start breaking down.
Old 26-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #62
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Give me a non-computerised car. My current computerised car shat itself 100 odd Kay away from home. I had no idea where to look. $500 later, it was fixed.

The older carbed cars have only given me a little grief. Little things like carbs playing up, plugs fouling. But at least I could start them and keep them running, unlike this computerised garbage.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #63
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Goes along with the ol saying
A holden repair kit
Shifter, length or wire and a hammer
IF ya couldnt get it started with them tools
There was a major problem
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #64
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is much more to it than your above, theoretically the b series will be much more fuel efficient safer and more comfortable with more creature comforts, and much improved handling. Newer cars cost more to fix than old ones, case and point I can get a fully reconditioned gearbox for my XF ute for $600 now if you need a reco box for a B series I am certain it will cost you many times that price, which means to be on par the gearboxes need to last many many times longer than one from my XF. Also generally speaking a newer car is many many times less prone to breakdown (in the majority of cases)

Gearboxes are a bit of a sore spot for me having to layout 4k on a sechand T56 when the T5 that was fitted went with god.

if you are really concerned with depreciation buy a sechand car that is 18 months to 2 years old, the price is much lower then new AND the rate of depreciation has slowed down quite a bit, and if its been decently looked after there should be practically zero wrong with the car

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #65
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe owning an older car is cheaper in the long run, I had an xd falcon which i owned for 4 years and all i ever done to it was 2 front tyres $200, wheel bearing $70, plugs and oil every 5000km and thats about it, but! my wifes 2000 magna vrx with its $180 each tryes, quoted $1200 for factory distributor and $750 service consisting of timing belt and platinum sparkplugs. Older cars are way cheaper to drive around.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #66
doktoravalanche

Buying a cheaper car is always the cheaper option! hanging into any car for longer and not changing over will save you money. Cars simply depreciate. if your happy in an old car great! And some old cars are great. However i like new cars with new features, new looks, safety, possibily more reliable...... I know I lose in depreciation but I'm driving a new car that makes me happy, it's way more than a simple money equation
doktoravalanche is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #67
FgNewbie
Australia

damo76 I bought a new xd. Had it for about 4 years. About 4 gear box rebuilds, 1 engine rebuild, countless tyres. I won't incriminate myself any further. Sudszy might be looking
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #68
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
damo76 I bought a new xd. Had it for about 4 years. About 4 gear box rebuilds, 1 engine rebuild, countless tyres. I won't incriminate myself any further. Sudszy might be looking

I hope he sees that this thread just might get funny

Old 28-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #69
FgNewbie
Australia

FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #70
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a good topic; at the moment I'm tossing up between keeping my loyal and trusty XF daily or going for a new Ford (either FG, Territory, or Focus). I've kind of gotten sick of the constant maintenance that the XF needs. I just want a car that starts and goes and that I don't have to worry about, and then trade it in for a new one in 3 years or whatever.

It's hard to decide though, because I'm very attached to the XF (laugh if you want :P)
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #71
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I should probably clarify that "loyal and trusty" means two engine rebuilds within five years, and that's with my old lady style of driving.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #72
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
But back then being a Hoon meant having fun. Then Mr (and Ms) Plod decided that 'Hoon' would be a good word for criminals in cars.
Old 28-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #73
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Threads like this make me want to cry! All that cash.

I've actually been thinking about this a bit the past few weeks or so and pondering if I should lash out and buy a new family car.

When I factored in how much I'd need to get a BF2 Futura Wagon, fit SVI and upgrade the ICC to dual zone CC (can that actually be done? - I have no B series knowledge), I figured it'd be better to keep the old faithful AU wagon, and eventually get a new engine, reco gearbox and spend a bit on the suspension. I could do one of these projects at a time, without needing to spend much coin at all, particularly if I did one project per year for 3 years. Even though I'd still have the rattles here are there, the mechanical package would be good for years to come.

The newer BF option is a nice one, but would simply punch too big a hole in my home loan redraw! LOL! Sure I'd get a good run out of it before needing to spend any real coin (I'd hope), but in all honesty, if all I ever had was a car that never actually had anything go wrong with it, I'd have not learnt much at all about how they work, and never experienced the joy (and sometimes pain) of fixing them myself.

Having said that, if I had the spare coin to purchase a Diesel Terry and a G6E/G6ET (ie without needing to redraw or refinance), I'd do it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #74
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
This is a good topic; at the moment I'm tossing up between keeping my loyal and trusty XF daily or going for a new Ford (either FG, Territory, or Focus). I've kind of gotten sick of the constant maintenance that the XF needs. I just want a car that starts and goes and that I don't have to worry about, and then trade it in for a new one in 3 years or whatever.

It's hard to decide though, because I'm very attached to the XF (laugh if you want :P)
Nothin to larf at,plenty have had XFs, and i bet most wont own up to it
Gotta look at it like this
Whats the XF worth
Grand or two (at most)
Youd be lucky if that paid the on road costs for a newie
Then you have the added burden of the monthly loan
Up keep,services (seen what a new car service costs)
Insurance
This would be alot more than an XF
So some can afford to pay more , with less hassles
Some prefer the hassles as the pocket cant handle the monthly hit

Some people think buying that 2nd hand car for a few grand will last forever
My mate is like that
Pay a few K, dont service them,then wonders why they let him down
He reckons thats alot cheaper than buying new, loans repayments, depreciation ect
Everyones different
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #75
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was hoping for some LOLS what a fizzer, comeon sudzy