Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
craigrobinson
Full Speed Ahead!!!!

Unhappy One Minutes Silence for Cost Damien Leeding

Hi all, it is Det Const Damien Leedings funeral today at 11 am. was wondering if we at Ford Forums might take one minutes silence for this hero who had his life taken in the line of duty.

RIP Damien, You are a hero.

craigrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: One Minutes Silence for Cost Damien Leeding

does ford forums take a mintue silence for all other people who die or are killed while working or doing there job?
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sad case thats for sure.

But if we have a minutes silence for him, why not a minutes silence for everyone who dies doing their job? If you are a cop, sure, if not, don't think so.

If I was a trucky, and a trucky mate died doing his job at no fault of his own, sure i'd have a minutes silence, but not expect the whole country to. How many workplace deaths are there in a year in Australia anyway?
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

It's a thoughtful idea but it will be hard to implement....perhaps it would be more appropriate for those that wish to, to take a minute's silence of your own time and reflect on not just Const. Leeding and the sacrifice he has made, but for all those policemen and women who have fallen in the line of duty.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting point considering this guy was shot by some low life waste of oxygen whilst risking his life in a selfless attempt to protect strangers that called on him in their moment of need.

While everyone else was cowering, hiding or running from the evil this guy was running towards it, he stepped up and faced the evil that lives amongst us, not expecting a reward, but simply because he thought it is the right thing to do in a moment of self less bravery.

This guy is a hero in the true sense of the word, and should be treated as such.

Lets hope and pray the low life that caused his death will get what is coming to him, but with our soft court system I doubt it.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Interesting point considering this guy was shot by some low life waste of oxygen whilst risking his life in a selfless attempt to protect strangers that called on him in their moment of need.

While everyone else was cowering, hiding or running from the evil this guy was running towards it, he stepped up and faced the evil that lives amongst us, not expecting a reward, but simply because he thought it is the right thing to do in a moment of self less bravery.

This guy is a hero in the true sense of the word, and should be treated as such.
+1 SPOT ON.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
stang65
FPRJET

Agreed, too many times people pick a reason to try and make someones thread appear worthless. Especially in this case if you don`t agree move on to the next thread.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Terrible situation that a man is dead. Terrible in the way in which he died. My heart goes out to all family and friends.

As 11am has now passed, I will still take a few moments to remember this stranger I never met, who in performing his job, lost his life...Just as I pause when I hear of anyone passing.

A moments respect for the dead is not too much to ask.

May he RIP.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Terrible situation that a man is dead. Terrible in the way in which he died. My heart goes out to all family and friends.

As 11am has now passed, I will still take a few moments to remember this stranger I never met, who in performing his job, lost his life...Just as I pause when I hear of anyone passing.

A moments respect for the dead is not too much to ask.

May he RIP.
I'm with you Louise - well said.

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I just watched 5 minutes of the live stream of his funeral on the 9MSN website and I had to close it because I couldn't watch it anymore.

This has hit way too close to home.

DC Leeding was gunned down literally no more than 500mt from my house. Imagine my scepticism when my wife wakes me at 11:00pm on that fateful night saying she's heard a gunshot and there's someone outside our yard. I said to her "Go back to sleep, there's nothing wrong" after checking downstairs to make sure we had locked everything.

How wrong I was.

To drive to work the next morning to see that all the roads around the tavern where the incident happen closed and blocked off from access. My wife said to me I told you so.

Then the doubt creeps in. Why do I want to raise a family in an area like this where a person of authority can be gunned down without a second thought? If it can happen to him what's stopping it from happening to me?

The thing that breaks my heart the most is seeing all the family pictures of his and the warmth that comes from it. A totally innocent person has lost their life in a job to protect others.

The thing that has made me want to stay in the area is the strength of the community. This past weekend a day out was held in Pacific Pines and the message was loud and clear. These fools need to be stopped and dealt with harshly. No slap on the hand and you'll be good won't you?

It's just extremely unfortunate that someone had to lose their life for things to happen.

RIP Const. Leeding. :(
Old 07-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
84xespac
Wearing an armadillo hat

It has defiately rattled the cages of a lot of peole here on the coast. I have not long gotten home and have a chopper overhead no doubt filming the parade that was planned after the funneral. The turn out there this morning as I drove past was amazing to say the least. For those of you who know the Gold Coast convension centre it appears to be packed out from what I could see.
84xespac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
craigrobinson
Full Speed Ahead!!!!

Unhappy Re: One Minutes Silence for Cost Damien Leeding

I want to say thankyou to those that can understand what my post was about.

To those that say why not take a minutes silence for other people who die in their work... i agree. do that. however, the difference here is that this man died protecting the community. these men and woman who put on the uniform (police, firies, ambos, military and others), who go to work knowing that something may happen and their name is called on the role..... i take my hat off to them....and their families as they watch them go to work knowing that maybe they may not come home, (I can still remember my wife ever night i went to work.....)

to the family, i send my condolences.... to the people who did this, i say was it worth it? regardless of wether you get life in jail, was it worth it? to now know that you have taken someone else's life??? was it worth it?

here is a poem that i wrote the other day when i was thinking about my friend who was killed in the line of duty in NSW - Const David Carty....

for those that do not know, i too am an ex NSW police officer...

Called You Home

I have walked the road you have travelled,
I have seen the things you have seen,
I have stood beside you through the darkest times,
I have watched you lose your dreams

I have held your hand when it was too much,
I have wiped the tears from your eyes.
I have held you close, when the pain was such,
that you couldnt go on if you tried.

I have kept you warm in the coldest night,
I have helped you stay so strong.
But now its time, to have your rest
On this road that you are on.

I will stay by your wife, and childrens side,
I will comfort them in this time.
I will help them see, i have called you home....
To a place where you are mine.

So rest your head, and close your eyes,
You have earnt this place with me.
You can always smile and know that soon,
You will be with your family.

© Craig Robinson 2011
craigrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:

Lets hope and pray the low life that caused his death will get what is coming to him, but with our soft court system I doubt it.
Perfect.

Its much the same reason we have a minutes silence on ANZAC Day.

Best of luck to his family, and thankyou Detective Constable Leedings. A high price indeed.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
Sad case thats for sure.

But if we have a minutes silence for him, why not a minutes silence for everyone who dies doing their job? If you are a cop, sure, if not, don't think so.

If I was a trucky, and a trucky mate died doing his job at no fault of his own, sure i'd have a minutes silence, but not expect the whole country to. How many workplace deaths are there in a year in Australia anyway?
If you don't feel it's worthwile, please don't post.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #15
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: One Minutes Silence for Cost Damien Leeding

Quote:

Very well said, I agree 100%.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #16
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrobinson
I want to say thankyou to those that can understand what my post was about.

To those that say why not take a minutes silence for other people who die in their work... i agree. do that. however, the difference here is that this man died protecting the community. these men and woman who put on the uniform (police, firies, ambos, military and others), who go to work knowing that something may happen and their name is called on the role..... i take my hat off to them....and their families as they watch them go to work knowing that maybe they may not come home, (I can still remember my wife ever night i went to work.....)

to the family, i send my condolences.... to the people who did this, i say was it worth it? regardless of wether you get life in jail, was it worth it? to now know that you have taken someone else's life??? was it worth it?

here is a poem that i wrote the other day when i was thinking about my friend who was killed in the line of duty in NSW - Const David Carty....

for those that do not know, i too am an ex NSW police officer...

[
To craigrobinson - thankyou for your past services to our community and for all the above your a good person mate and I'm sure your prayers are heard by Const David Carty and now to Det Const David Leedings RIP.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #17
gtfpv
GT

i feel very sorry for the guy . RIP.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #18
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At the end of the day, they too are human, have a family, have kids, is someones brother, sister, someones son, daughter.... they all want to go home alive and in one piece.

They all serve a thankless job. Police, Ambos, and Firies....

RIP Damian Leeding

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #19
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:

Best post so far.

For all those that don't believe this brave man deserves a moment of your time out of respect, do you also expect one of his comrades or any other emergency service worker, to one day put their life on the line for you in your time of need? I hope not.

I know from a personal point of view I take great reassurance in the knowledge that should things go pear shaped at work, the dedicated people that are the QPS will move heaven and earth to help me out, as I would them.

RIP mate!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #20
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RIP

Never nice to hear of a Line Of Duty Death
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #21
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

@craigrobinson - touching poem mate, I work for the gov. and after hearing what the fireys, ambos and corrective officers go through on a daily basis I have nothing but respesct for them, including anyone who don's a uniform in the name of the community.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #22
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrobinson
Hi all, it is Det Const Damien Leedings funeral today at 11 am. was wondering if we at Ford Forums might take one minutes silence for this hero who had his life taken in the line of duty.

RIP Damien, You are a hero.
Hear hear.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #23
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

There's nothing much more to be said that hasn't allready been mentioned by the kind people above that understand what such a great person this man was,
I can not understand why anyone would even want to question the thought of showing some respect to this gentleman, he had a family, he was loved by many, he was way to young to surcome to this kind of tradegy, may he rest in peace.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #24
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was at the Guard of Honour today after the funeral..The amount of people that were there was something to see for sure..kms of streets from the convention centre past Pacific Fair towards the servo lined with people waiting for the procession to pass.

His story more than anything inspires and motivates me to follow my dream of joining, an unbelievably dedicated bloke.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #25
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Poem brings a tear to the eye..very well written....
This is from www.policepoems.com

"In The Line of Duty"

What is the meaning of "In The Line Of Duty"
It means that an officer made the Ultimate sacrifice.
It means that someone took an officer's life.
A hero has fallen.

Officers who gave their all
To protect and serve
Have been killed by someone whom they swore
To protect and serve.

It means that their badge will no longer be on their chest
And they will join
"The Best Of The Best"

It means that family and friends are left behind
To deal with the lost of a loved one.
Only having the memories of that loved one
Close to their hearts.
Something no one can ever take away.

It means that family members will stand at the officers grave
And wonder why ...
Why would someone take an officer's life
And leave them there to die?
If we only knew.

Today an officer will place their badge on their chest
To fulfill the dreams of heroes killed
"In The Line Of Duty"

by

Michele

In Memory Of All Police Officers Who Have
Been Called To Make The Ultimate Sacrifice

Last edited by csv8; 07-06-2011 at 09:27 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #26
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave
does ford forums take a mintue silence for all other people who die or are killed while working or doing there job?
Probably not, but how many people get MURDERED when they go to work.
At the end of the day is 1 minute too much to take out of your day?
Hey, I'm not preaching, each to their own.
Me, I took time out to watch it on the TV and give thanks thats there are people out there doing this job to protect us from low life scum.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #27
delete94

Have to agree with the majority of the above sentiments. There’s a very big difference between someone losing their life in a workplace accident, and someone losing their life because they have voluntarily put it in harm’s way to protect the likes of you or me.

Most people involved in a workplace accident don’t usually know it’s about to happen, and if they did, they would do everything in their power to avoid being injured or killed. However, it’s a very different story, and takes a very unique kind of person, to know that you are about to enter a potentially life threatening situation and then to proceed to do so, not for any benefit of their own, but for that of the community. This applies equally to the men and women in the Defence Forces of this country.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that one persons life is worth more than another and loss of life in the workplace is a tragedy no matter where it occurs, as no one goes to work expecting never to come home. But a person giving their life in the protection of the community is a very different thing. It’s one of the most selfless acts one human being could do for another. How many of us could say we would do the same thing?

Last edited by delete94; 07-06-2011 at 11:22 PM.
delete94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #28
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Truly a sad time for the Family of Const Leeding and the loss his brothers in arms will feel now he has gone to a final rest too early.

R.I.P Defender of Life
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post