Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
icer
Winning's Winning!

Default Need Building Company To Build 4 Houses On My Block...

So I have just bought a 1003sqM block of land with a house on it.

I need to find a building company who can organise permits through the (Casey) council, and use their plans and build the houses.

Ive heard of a few out there, (some even in The Age last week) but want to broaden my search. Anyone got any recommendations for a full site build? Company names etc?

Now with new setup 460rwkw on 15psi. 30PSI is fun!
icer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
xr6turboford

Default Re: Need Building Company To Build 4 Houses On My Block...

I think you might be in the wrong forum try this one
http://forum.homeone.com.au/
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turboford
I think you might be in the wrong forum try this one
http://forum.homeone.com.au/
Right forum, wrong area

http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=180

We've got hundreds of tradies here and I'm sure many of them are involved or have been involved with this type of development.

4 places on 1/4 acre?? Probably a terrace style build perhaps??

My brother just finished his duplex and that's all he was allowed on his 1100sqm. Several years ago he could have done 3-4 town houses (as has already been done on the same street previously).

Good luck with the build. Make sure you speak to an accountant and go over your figures several times.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
blk6t

Good luck mate, I am a Project Manager and currently work for a large building company. My advice would be:
- If you use a project home builder, thoroughly read the contract, especially in relation to variations, payment terms etc and become very familure with the Security of Payments Act for the building / construction industry.
- Make sure you and the builder thoroughly understand the plans and final finishes and be a real hard **** to the builder with defects but look after the tradies onsite, a case of beer will get you extras without dealing with the contracting builder...
- Keep in mind you will need to subdivide your land and their are strata or torrens title options, understand both and decide which you feel will work best, personally I hate strata!!!
- Also subdividing can be costly with installing the service connection points to each lot, best to speak to your local water/elec/telephone companies out there and see what is available on your block.
- Lastly go and see your Council and meet the duty planner for a chat, they can tell you your current zoning limits and what you can do, become friends with council, it will make the process alot easier.

Good luck mate and PM me if you have any queries, I have seen lots of people burnt by builders.
Old 17-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk6t
- Make sure you and the builder thoroughly understand the plans and final finishes and be a real hard **** to the builder with defects but look after the tradies onsite, a case of beer will get you extras without dealing with the contracting builder...
Gee I could not name quicker way to get your builder off side than going direct to the subbie no matter what the the reason.

As a PM would you want your client dealing with your subbies? Most PMs would not even cop their superior manager talking to their trades about their project without their knowledge.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
blk6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Gee I could not name quicker way to get your builder off side than going direct to the subbie no matter what the the reason.

As a PM would you want your client dealing with your subbies? Most PMs would not even cop their superior manager talking to their trades about their project without their knowledge.
Remember were discussing small residential dwellings and project home builders, there is no problem with the site owner or client rocking up to site and having a chat to the tradies especially if they are due for a site inspection. Most project home builders have one site manager or supervisor looking after 5-10 sites. Even easier if they live on the site i.e existing dwelling.

When we got a project home builder to build my inlaws house, the site manager visited the site 7 times in 3 months, we became quite friendly with the electrician and he threw in better downlights, wired up the theatre room and up graded the light swithches all for a few cases of beer and some cash to cover the supply cost.
If my inlaws went through the builder directly. it would have been cost + 20%-30% margin at a minimum. I know which I would prefer to pay.

I work on larger commercial sites where our clients are corporations not home owners, and under the contract they are not entitled to make site visits without formal sign in and in the presence of a site manager, very different.

My point to Icer (and anyone else looking at using a project home builder) was to become friendly with the subbies onsite as it will go along way.