Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #31
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Default Re: New Territory ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans
Am I the only bloke on AFF that thinks the Territory is an awful vehicle?
I see no point in owning a soft-roader and make no mistakes, thats exactly what the Territory is.

I hate seeing people carting their kids through suburbia in an excessively large "SUV", every single Territory I see is used for this purpose.
I hate them, they are ugly monstrosities.
Whether you like them or not, thats the type of cars people are buying. Its why the large car segment is dying. I'm not really a big fan of them either but you cant change the masses.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Probably.

The masses have spoken loudly for the past decade or so, softroaders/SUV's are extremely popular.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #33
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

They are popular , because they are no bigger than most medium cars , very easy access , diesel versions great on fuel. Loading height at trolley level , easier to put kids in , much improved visibility,like it or not its a huge market and 1 that will be very strong for a long time o believe. And that colour on the bhg show looks sweet as , still in the draw as our next car
Old 14-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #34
Perko
Loving The Blown Goodness

Quote:
I see no point in owning a soft-roader and make no mistakes, thats exactly what the Territory is.

I hate seeing people carting their kids through suburbia in an excessively large "SUV", every single Territory I see is used for this purpose.
You would probably be in the minority but everyone is entitled to their opinion. It is a soft roader and I think that Ford is not pretending that it is anything else. Ours is perfect because my wife uses it around town but can visit friends on local farms where a little bit of extra clearance is handy.

As far as people carriers I would prefer my wife carrying my kids in a Territory than most other vehicles (hence why we bought one). When it was released Wheels did a safety survey on the Top 20 selling vehicles in Australia. Guess which 2 cars were in the Top 5? Yep the Falcon came 3rd from memory and the Territory 5th. This was behind such cars as BMW's. Similar Commodores (both sedan and wagon) and Prado's were well behind. Would be interesting to see how it goes now but I would think that it would be better than nearly all other SUV's in the market. The Territory goes better, handles better, stops better than many 4WD that are just city cars. So if you are going to have one, isn't the Territory the best option?

Previous 2003 BA XR8 Ute Phantom
Ford Forum Build Thread

The Project 1991 EB XR8 Sedan Monza Red
Project Build Thread
Perko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #35
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I must admit I have been a sedan man all my car owning life, but when ever I borrow the Territory and take the kids out its so much easier. Fuel consumption isnt that far off when you are cruising and the TDi will sort this issue.

For a family car, it kills the falcon sedan. Even the 2WD is ok on the beaten track aslong as you are careful and pick your points.

I would get AWD "just because"..the only time I have had issues with 2WD is dropping some waste off at a tip and it was wet, so I was spinning a bit but with perseverance I got out..LOL

And you fit so much more in the back.

This is the Falcons biggest problem IMO...and why i started that thread about it becoming a performance/luxury niche car in a way...For a family, why would you buy a Falcon over a Terry now that consumption is getting alot closer?

I can see most families having a Terry type car for trips etc, and a focus etc for getting about town. (talking your average family).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #36
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

If only they had a manual box.
Old 15-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #37
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS
If only they had a manual box.
I agree...but I cant think of one car like it, a full sized SUV that has a manual...A T56 in it would be cool in a way but a chore.

Smaller SUV's, X Trail, Rav4 etc can get away with it IMO because they are just that, smaller, lighter, nimble etc.

But yes, my wife is one of those rare "manual" girls but she loves the Terry so what can ya do.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #38
Perko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
But yes, my wife is one of those rare "manual" girls but she loves the Terry so what can ya do.
Mine is the same funnily enough, and yes it is rare.

Your Comments on size and convenience hits the nail right on the head why the Territory is popular. When we had 2 kids (now have 3) the Falcon just didn't have the boot space especially if you have a baby and need pram etc. The Territory has heaps of room and is the only car that my wife will not trade in even though we've had it for 7 years almost and its fully paid. And unfortunately she will not look at the new one because it doesn't come in Envy.

Ford Forum Build Thread

Project Build Thread
Old 15-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #39
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

One thing I hate about driving modern cars is scraping the nose everywhere, a standard (non-XR) Falcon is probably better than most but still does it, a bit more ground clearance is welcome so you don't have to tip-toe over/through so many spots. Otherwise they are just a practical wagon without the stigma that bothers some, with a slight weight/handling/running cost penalty.

I agree they need to push the fuel economy aspect of the Territory, but also quickly follow up with the stuff that sets the Territory apart from the smaller Korean SUV's.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #40
prydey
Rob

FG2 better be good or my falcon days could be numbered.

I love my xr6 but the wife and i have always liked the territory ever since it came out, but we could never make the sums work in our favour when it came time to upgrade cars (which happens more than she'd like ). the biggest issue was fuel economy, mainly because at the time, it was more than likely going to be her car as i had a v8.

things change, she now has her focus to run around in, and with the improvement to economy on the territory, it would be cheaper to run than my fg in diesel form, and not much worse in petrol. we go on a family holiday to bris every year so it would accomodate us easier than the fg.

one of the biggest things with suv's is the ergonomics of it all. as mentioned, hopping in and out is much easier than getting in and out of a sedan, loading/unloading of shopping, kids etc is all at a more user friendly height etc.

the only thing that i find lets it down is the interior is a model behind in my view. those new to the brand will love it, but anyone thats been in an FG (out since 2008) doesn't feel like they are in an 'all new' car when hopping in the new territory. sure it has a touch screen, but for the fg owner, it looks 3yrs old. thats probably my only gripe. it also tells me that fg2 won't get much of a styling upgrade in this department, so territory will still be considered 'current'.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 05:41 AM   #41
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
but for the fg owner, it looks 3yrs old. thats probably my only gripe. it also tells me that fg2 won't get much of a styling upgrade in this department, so territory will still be considered 'current'.
How does it tell you that? Been mentioned here plenty of times that FG2 should get similar front end to the new Territory and 3 years isn't exactly old for a vehicle's looks either. BA/BF looked fairly similar after 6 years.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #42
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
How does it tell you that? Been mentioned here plenty of times that FG2 should get similar front end to the new Territory and 3 years isn't exactly old for a vehicle's looks either. BA/BF looked fairly similar after 6 years.
you've missed the point there a bit bobman. the bit you've quoted is referring to the interior. from my point of view (fg owner) it doesn't look 'new' as i've been looking at the same layout since 2008. purely my view.

i think its a great car still, don't get me wrong.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #43
Perko

The interior is something that my wife and I were talking about last night. It is good that the dash has been upgraded more to the FG but having the same door cards makes the interior a bit less cohesive and not a real big argument for us to trade up from our current Territory. It is still a great car but when we looked at the reasons to buy new or upgrade some things on our current Territory, we have chosen to upgrade some things on our current model. It was a close decision though. My wife still loves the Envy colour and we have had no real issues with our Terri over the past 6 1/2 years. So I'm off you get some quotes on some running boards and a 6 speed auto change over (currently have the 4 speed auto).

Ford Forum Build Thread

Project Build Thread
Old 16-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #44
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Hmm. I thought we were talking about how Ford have lifted their advertising game with the new SZ Territory.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #45
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finally, there is advertising from Ford that goes straight to the heart of the females. Let’s be frank, it’s the girls in the household who hold enormous sway in these decisions. They just let the males think that it was their choice.

This line of advertising dispenses with the traditional nuclear family stereotype (Dad behind the wheel, faithful Mum in the front passenger seat, plus the two kids in the back) that was present with the FG launch. This time the protagonist is a female, who is very smart (she must be because she is an engineer), in charge (older males defer to her), with it (uses Facebook), and environmentally conscious (because she drives a vehicle that uses little fuel). Even though the target audience will primarily be urban city-slickers, it tugs at the urbanites yearning for the bush. It is great stuff.

Oh, and it helps that Jess Riseley is rather hot …
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #46
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot
Finally, there is advertising from Ford that goes straight to the heart of the females. Let’s be frank, it’s the girls in the household who hold enormous sway in these decisions. They just let the males think that it was their choice.

This line of advertising dispenses with the traditional nuclear family stereotype (Dad behind the wheel, faithful Mum in the front passenger seat, plus the two kids in the back) that was present with the FG launch. This time the protagonist is a female, who is very smart (she must be because she is an engineer), in charge (older males defer to her), with it (uses Facebook), and environmentally conscious (because she drives a vehicle that uses little fuel). Even though the target audience will primarily be urban city-slickers, it tugs at the urbanites yearning for the bush. It is great stuff.
Oh, and it helps that Jess Riseley is rather hot …
Well, I very much agree that it is a great take on modern life!

With the Fiesta advert and this Territory. Ford have finally 'clicked' pun unintended with what the portrayed image needs to be. Their new ad agency is doing well.

If i was to change anything it would be a slight editing change to the 30sec version.

Note, i've seen the 30sec advert on TV several times now. I think the 2min version would be great at the movies.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #47
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What an awful awful ad. "Hey lets target 17 year old women, who want to spend 6 grand on a 95 Corolla, with an ad for a $55,000 7 seat 2.2 tonne AWD SUV with a V6 turbo diesel and 2.7 tonne towing capacity".

Anyone who thinks thats a good ad for the Territory is so far up Ford's @rse its not funny.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 11:59 PM   #48
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot

So they are focusing on the: single-no children-environmentally conscious-female who wants a Ford 7 seat SUV?? Its a pointless ad.

I guess we will next see Kenworth trucks advertising for retiree market...
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 01:47 AM   #49
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Terri is the only thing that is keeping the Falcon alive. Hate them all you like but if it doesn't succeed bye bye Falcon.

While I didn't like the ad (I'm not in their demographic) it did drum home the important thing and that was fuel economy. Also it showed its looks this should be enough to get people through the door. I know these things look great in the flesh and will be very desirable for the family wagon.
Old 17-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #50
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
What an awful awful ad. "Hey lets target 17 year old women, who want to spend 6 grand on a 95 Corolla, with an ad for a $55,000 7 seat 2.2 tonne AWD SUV with a V6 turbo diesel and 2.7 tonne towing capacity".

Anyone who thinks thats a good ad for the Territory is so far up Ford's @rse its not funny.
Well Brazen i've agreed with many of your posts on here in the past but you've missed it BIG time on this one buddy. You are being way too literal (im gulity of this myself...hey logic seems good doesn't it?) and not seeing what the likely customer is seeing.

You see, to sell a car (especially against cheaper and arguably better equiped competitors) you need to be appeal to peoples aspirations as much as their needs. Make them think how good it would be if they had the car, not whether they really need what the car offers. How do you think they sell mercs and beemers? Based on logica no one (no matter how rich) would ever buy a premium marque.

If you can get people interested in what the car has to offer in terms of image and perception (i.e. how will others see me when i turn up at their house in my new car) while also making good practical sense (low fuel burn, lots of features etc.) then you are onto a winner. If you want to talk about the 7 seats (not all owners even need that), storage spaces etc. then you wont' get any 'cut through' (as marketers call it) against competitors that already have that.

The car market (as in any capitalist industry) has moved on...15 years ago it was about horsepower and spoilers, then came cupholders, leather seats and heated mirrors, then came green image and lowering fuel burn. Now all that is a given...you don't have it (or the perception of it at least) you haven't a hope. The new frontier? Conectivity and media....blue tooth, ipod conectivity, touch screens etc. Alot of it is probably totall unecesary...but it doesn't matter.

You'll notice that there is all of the above in that ad...but no one comes out and says so. Its all subtext. The 2 min version has kids (but not hers), techy features, ipods, off road capability (well minor stuff), lifestyle atributes, space etc. Ford are selling the image of a car that lets you do whatever yout want, its for smart, independent, busy women (yes women....because that is who is going to buy them in the end) who want that freedom a territory gives while still doing all the 'boring' stuff they need it to do.

I saw the 30 sec ad long before i found this thread and while no where near as good as the 2min one i instantly new this new advertising mob were on the right track. It grabs your interest, all the info is there and it makes the owner look hip....its the cool, green, techy option....that just so happens to have all the practicality the territory always had. The problem with territory before wasn't that is was old hat and burnt too much....it was that it had the image amongt soccer mums of being old hat and burning too much. Not now though.....see how it works now?

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #51
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

I agree with Brazen to an extent. Great ad that would have been made even better with 2 baby seats in the back IMO

Or have a pregnant couple car shopping and purchasing the new territory, Cut to the husband getting the overnight bag ready and driving his partner to the hospital. Baby is born, Husband using the Territory to commute back and forth from hospital and work. Cut to him telling his wife about some of the new features etc etc. Wife smiles and looks over to their new baby, husband smiles in agreement that there are more important things to be on his mind right now. Cut forward a few days, Baby seat/capsule in the back, new family drives home in the New territory.....smiles all round

Ford Territory Diesel, a new edition to the family

Last edited by 4.0i_SiX; 17-06-2011 at 07:56 AM.
4.0i_SiX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #52
xr6turboford

Well I think this a good ad, better than those walking fingers
There has being alot of talk about mothers, babies, families etc, but if you look at the ad again you will notice the person talking is a engineer at Ford and talks about the fuel economy and challenges it by visiting all her face book friends. I think this ad is trying to appeal to the next generation of customers and hope it achieves it.

Just because its not towing the titanic or racing in the dakar rally doesn't make it a bad ad, you cant appeal to everyone in a 30sec ad.
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #53
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Marketing is not about TV adds. It is about providing a total marketing campaign. This add gets people to go to www.ford.com.au.. When you there, the main page is all about Tezz... The TV add gets you to the website, the website gives you all the videos, pic & info you need... Some people won’t get this, but I'm guessing this is why they aren’t in marketing!!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #54
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Whatever it is in terms of overall marketing, its working as I've seen just this week about 20 diesel Tezza's.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #55
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

The add to me is more about getting the message across about "economy" as this is a major factor that all manufacturers are forced to employ.
And I believe Ford have done this well.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #56
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So they are focusing on the: single-no children-environmentally conscious-female who wants a Ford 7 seat SUV?? Its a pointless ad.
Actually … my 20 year old daughter; single, no-children, wants a Territory real bad. But, that is not the target market.

This ad works on so many levels. And, like any good story telling, it takes the reader/viewer along to a point that their imagination takes over and fills in the blanks (the way the viewer personalises their goal fulfilment). Jess comes across as a 30’ish (perhaps 20-something) successful person. So, any female in the range from 20’s to 40-something, who aspires to Jess’ lifestyle, gives the message that it is OK to have a fuel efficient Ford Territory (the ad is loaded with eco-messages). This includes people who can relate to what Jess could easily become – a supermom (just add two kids to the back seat - notice "the school" trip section). This broad spectrum of females has incredible influence on household purchases. Plus, the “Jess’” have quite a controlled grip on short and curlies of the male of the household. Convince the "Jess's" and the sales job is 90% done. (Of course, the local Ford salesman will do a good job of buggering the sale up.)

Yep, this is one of the better ads to come out of Ford Australia for a long time. It punches clean through the traditional male orientated targeting and positions the brand for the wider audience.

Quote:
Oh, and I am not up Ford’s ***, but I have done university level marketing and psychology courses as part of a degree. I am allowed to professionally admire neat advertising. Just because it doesn’t ping everyone’s on-button does not mean that it has missed its target. The normal person plain ignores 99% of all advertising. Think about the final 1% that is not ignored and how much effort has gone into getting your attention.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post