Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: ford v6?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar

It also means they can make it FWD.
It means they can do either...RWD or FWD, that decision will be made early next year, there is no rush.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #32
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
Quote: I'm surprised the old I6 has hung on this long. A V6 allows for better packaging with more interior space, and it also allows the engine to be mounted lower and further back to aid center of gravity and for body design purposes. It's a miracle how low they can make the front panelwork of the FG with that big long motor in there.

It also means they can make it FWD.
Once again, it's a car for the masses...not for a small minority of drivers alone. I've noticed increasingly over the last 10 years or so that motoring scribes say that if you plonked Joe Average Car Buyer into a new car, and they drove it like they normally do every day, they'd be hard put to pick it as a front driver. I drive my sons Aurion now and then, and can't pick which end is doing the driving unless I really concentrate hard. Getting the tail out is hardly high on the list of buyers list of features...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #33
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
It means they can do either...RWD or FWD, that decision will be made early next year, there is no rush.
I thought it had to be made by the middle of this year. I wouldn't be surprised if its already been made.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #34
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
I thought it had to be made by the middle of this year. I wouldn't be surprised if its already been made.
No, Work on design proposal for next gen Falcon is proceeding but there's no decision pending....

That decision was delayed because key product (EcoLPI, FG II and Ecoboost) have all been delayed
and Ford wants time to evaluate their performance in the market place before committing either way.
Old 31-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #35
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Wouldn't a late decision delay introduction of a next gen falcon if that is decided on though?

How long does a platform or next generation top hat take to develop?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #36
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Wouldn't a late decision delay introduction of a next gen falcon if that is decided on though?

How long does a platform or next generation top hat take to develop?
There is still plenty of time to make the decision, next gen Falcon won't be here until mid 2016
so that's still around 5 years off......they need to start about 4 years out.

Orion was started in early 2004, approval held up for about 6 months in 2006 and delivered mid 2008.
In between times, FoA changed from I-6 to V6 for about 18 months before hurriedly reviving the I-6,
that's one reason why EcoLPI was missing in 2008, supplier delays then caused the next near 12 month long delay.

Last edited by jpd80; 31-07-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 31-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #37
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
All things pass...I recall similar cries of despair (not on the internet of course...didn't exist) when the venerable old Holden straight six was retired as the rising costs of meeting increasingly stringent anti-pollution, extra power, and fuel economy requirements, not to mention the massive re-engineering needed for unleaded.
People warmed to the new engines...in fact if you asked the vast majority of new car buyer what configuration the engine under thier bonnet was, they would be stumped at anything more than what fuel it uses and how many cylinders it has...
The difference being that the Falcon's I6 was adapted to meet all of these challenges and more, and is still here and is a world class engine. The Holden 6 was never in the same league and never saw the level of updates (apart from EFI and some capacity changes).

Also, development times for the new car will be drastically shorter this time around with virtual design and of course leveraging the full design, engineering and financial resources of the Ford empire to bring it to fruition because it will be a global car (or a derivative of it)

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #38
stang65
FPRJET

This thread should be merged with the local inline 6 could live on thread as it`s pretty much talking about the same thing.
Old 31-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
The difference being that the Falcon's I6 was adapted to meet all of these challenges and more, and is still here and is a world class engine. The Holden 6 was never in the same league and never saw the level of updates (apart from EFI and some capacity changes).
Probably because Holden were near bankrupt at the time. 84 or 85. GM bailed them out.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #40
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

If the Falcon goes V6 then it would make sense as it would free money up for other things to be improved. But if the Falcon were to go FWD then I don't see the point. Might as well can the car and import the Taurus.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:15 AM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford are also rumored to be developing a new smaller V6 in the 2.7-3.0 range under the project name, "Nano".
Direct injection and Turbocharged units are being studied for Ecoboost applications.

Engine being developed as Ecoboost 2.7 V6 is expected to make approx. 350 hp and just under 400 lb ft....(impressive)
Next generation stuff, probably turn up initially as 2.7 DI in 2013 Lincoln MKZ due out next year. (Fusion/Mondeo based)
Old 01-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #42
Maggot
Half an aussie garage!!

[QUOTE=2011G6E]I recall similar cries of despair (not on the internet of course...didn't exist) when the venerable old Holden straight six was retired ...[QUOTE]

..and when they retired the holden six, it was a nissan inline 6 that replaced it.. and not a bad motor either!
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #43
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Maggot][QUOTE=2011G6E]I recall similar cries of despair (not on the internet of course...didn't exist) when the venerable old Holden straight six was retired ...
Quote:

..and when they retired the holden six, it was a nissan inline 6 that replaced it.. and not a bad motor either!
The engine contract that put Holden in serious debt and subsequently bailed out by head office.
There's a reason they went to the cheaper Buick V6, it's all they could afford after the Nissan debacle.
Some Holden engineers look back on that period thinking that a SOHC/DOHC 3.3 I-6 was possibly a better way....
Old 01-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

[QUOTE=jpd80][QUOTE=Maggot]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I recall similar cries of despair (not on the internet of course...didn't exist) when the venerable old Holden straight six was retired ...
The engine contract that put Holden in serious debt and subsequently bailed out by head office.
There's a reason they went to the cheaper Buick V6, it's all they could afford after the Nissan debacle.
Some Holden engineers look back on that period thinking that a SOHC/DOHC 3.3 I-6 was possibly a better way....
When they signed the contract is would have been ok, but later on when the yen soared in value it all went bad.

But it wasn't the Nissan contract that nearly killed Holden, it was during the VK when sales hit rock bottom, and they were basically finished if GM didn't bail them out. That happened a couple of years before the Nissan engined VL hit the market. The Nissan contract probably came about because they had no money to make the black 6 more fuel efficient, one of the reasons the Falcon was slaughtering it in the market, it was bigger, more powerful and also more fuel efficient.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post