Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: United 100 Octane Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Steve
I recently had my car tuned to run on BP Ultimate which I believed was the highest Octane fuel avaliable from a petrol station. I just found out that United Petroleum offer 100 RON premium and was just wondering if anyone here has tried it and could give me any feedback on it?

http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/di...-locations.asphttp://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/di...-locations.asp
It's 98 Octane boosted with Ethanol, so if you tune for 98 ULP you will be slightly off
but most plebs like me in a regular I-6 powered FG ute will feel the difference.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #32
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedXT
YEah Caltex has a refinery at kurnell, and yes they supply fuel to the grade specified by other retailers, some also do get fuel from os though.
Kurnell is an oil refinery, it doesn't supply fuel AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
Where do these companies get there fuel from?

My understanding (here in NSW) basically all fuels would come out of the shell refineries in Sydney. Is there a Caltex Ref. in NSW.

How does it work, Does United say, we want a 95+ 10% Alcohol pls, they del and United say it's 100?
Does anyone no of someone thats tested all the fuels to dertermine which one is better? ie/ Shell/Caltex claim to have cleaning properties from ther fuels. Do they suddenly take this out when giving the fuel to United?
NSW has terminals for Shell at Clyde, and Caltex has Banksmeadow (These are the main ones). Clyde is a refinery and terminal. They refine fuel and import it. Banksmeadow is only a terminal (Import).

Out of Melbourne United get their fuels from Newport Shell, and Hastings United. The unleaded it United servos is EXACTLY the same you get from Shell, the premium fuels are different as its a different additive which gets added at the fuel terminals.

Ethonal fuel at United can be dodgy because straight unleaded gets delivered, and then straight ethonal gets added on top to mix together to make the blend.

Just for an example about how the brand of the your fuel rarely matters, there are two fuel terminals at Newcastle, Shell, Caltex. I believe Caltex owns both, and the pipeline that runs between each site. So the product tankers pick up out of Shell, is actually pumped from the Caltex side of the terminal.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #33
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

I use only use 100ron in my EB. Gained a few rwkw when tuned over 98ron.
Never had any issues in well over 2 years.

By HEINRICH PERFORMANCE & TUNING

E Series Falcon Image Museum on FB
https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Ser...29864000453208
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #34
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
IMA, 2 different outlets and when I complained, the response was "No one else has had a problem and we've sold X amount of fuel".
Seems to make sense.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #35
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Seems to make sense.
I have seen fuel companies compensate thousands of genuine claims, occasionally water gets in to the tanks. But they also test for water daily so know if someones full of **** or not.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #36
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedXT
I have seen fuel companies compensate thousands of genuine claims, occasionally water gets in to the tanks. But they also test for water daily so know if someones full of **** or not.

I accept this sort of thing occurring, but in saying that, I won't trust going to another United servo again, for fear of the same thing happening. Gets a little expensive on the hip pocket.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #37
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8 Uterous
Kurnell is an oil refinery, it doesn't supply fuel AFAIK.

NSW has terminals for Shell at Clyde, and Caltex has Banksmeadow (These are the main ones). Clyde is a refinery and terminal. They refine fuel and import it. Banksmeadow is only a terminal (Import).

Out of Melbourne United get their fuels from Newport Shell, and Hastings United. The unleaded it United servos is EXACTLY the same you get from Shell, the premium fuels are different as its a different additive which gets added at the fuel terminals.

Ethonal fuel at United can be dodgy because straight unleaded gets delivered, and then straight ethonal gets added on top to mix together to make the blend.

Just for an example about how the brand of the your fuel rarely matters, there are two fuel terminals at Newcastle, Shell, Caltex. I believe Caltex owns both, and the pipeline that runs between each site. So the product tankers pick up out of Shell, is actually pumped from the Caltex side of the terminal.
Thanx for the info.

Do we know what additives are added? Is it just a w_nk or do these acually provide some sort of benifit.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #38
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
Thanx for the info.

Do we know what additives are added? Is it just a w_nk or do these acually provide some sort of benifit.
Forgot to mention Silverwater Caltex in Sydney as well.

To be honest I don't know what the additive is which makes the difference between normal PULP 95/98 and Vortex 95/98 (For Caltex fuels) but in the furl terminals it definitely comes from different tanks and has different product codes, and not available to all carriers to pick up.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #39
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

I use E10 (united), which has 95Ron (same as normal premium, except with an Ethanol blend, 10%), says in the manual it's good to go, and there's not really much difference from BP Ultimate driving around town for me...
I reguarly add Liqui Moly injector cleaner, and so far so good, after 70,000K's.

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Bunyip04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post