The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 06:16 AM   #61
fmc351
let it burn

Default Re: learnt a lesson the hard way

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
is it really a good sign? would you have the same view if he killed someone? there have been many worse situations including murder, and it is always in hindsight that they feel guilty. it would have been a good sign if he had that view before fishtailing on public roads.
Except he isnt in court claiming how much he regrets his decision after killing someone. He is on a public forum, full of 'hoons'. Of course its in hindsight he feels guilty, thats like saying the keys you cant find are always in the last place you look. Of course they bloody are, you stop looking when you find them, and you can only be sorry after youve done something to be sorry about. It would have been wise if he had that view before he fishtailed off the road, but this is the next best thing. Dumb luck no-one as hurt, and he knows it.

Murder and recklessness are very different things. Albeit not for the victims. I tell ya what, who would you rather be locked in a room with for months, a reckless person who learns from his mistakes or a murderer?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #62
RAPID_BA
Banned

Problem is that you can't teach maturity. Lucky your ok and learnt your lesson but there are a thousand more knuckleheads lining up to be hectic.

When it rains near my house all I ever seem to hear is tyres slipping and people doing skids. The other day two blokes in a el falcon were fishtailing up the street past my house in the wet, I looked at them and they were both young a looked to be enjoying themselves. They won't learn until they hit something and then they will play the victim.

I've had a car lose it in the wet and end up on my front lawn upside down. P platers I caught them in the act, 4 of them, the cops came and separated them, all 4 told a different story, one said there was another car that cut them off. They were speeding, came in too hot and lost control in the wet. They were lucky to be alive and frankly they were all smartarses and don't think they learnt their lesson.

Unfortunately for every one that learns their lesson there is 1000 new knucklesheads game to try it on
Best part was to see dad come from the driver to kick his ****
Old 10-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #63
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Why is it that you join a forum dedicated to car enthusiasts?

Here we have someone who has done something stupid, scared himself and has had the balls to post it publicly in the hope that maybe someone reads it and learns something from it.
Even if one person remembers this story and has a second thought before doing something "spirited", then thats a good thing, irrespective of their age or experience.

I don't believe for a minute that posts like your last one offer any help, advice or useful information to anyone.

I thought I'd post up some data albeit slightly old now listing AAMI's top cars involved in accidents- the results may surprise.

AAMI's list of top 10 cars involved in accidents in Australia in the past year: 1. Lexus RX330 sports wagon 2004.
2. Subaru Impreza GX hatchback 2003.
3. Toyota Camry Sportivo 2004.
4. Holden Astra hatchback 2004.
5. Nissan Maxima 1999.
6. Ford Falcon Classic 2004.
7. Mazda 626 Classic hatchback 1999.
8. Mazda wagon 2002.
9. Honda Odyssey wagon 2003.
10. Mazda 626 Classic hatchback 2002.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...

Last edited by GT; 10-08-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: quoted post that has been deleted
Old 10-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #64
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
, i just stand by my window and watch
Anecdotes are not acceptable evidence.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #65
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
is it really a good sign? would you have the same view if he killed someone? there have been many worse situations including murder, and it is always in hindsight that they feel guilty. it would have been a good sign if he had that view before fishtailing on public roads.
It's a good sign because it's better than him having no remorse what so ever.
Of course it would have been better if he didnt need to learn the lesson in the first place.
Let me guess, and you're now complaining about the noise of the cars on the main road? I reckon you'd be the type of person that would compain about the noise if you moved next to a racetrack.
So you own a calibrated speed measuring device do you? How far over 100km/h were they going? Bikes rev a lot higher than cars, still accellerating? so now you've also got sophisticated laser equipment? You know you need to have it set up directly behind, or infront, of the car/bike to accurately measure accelleration.
With all that speeding going on outside your window, it's a wonder you havent had at least 10 fatal crashes nearby.

Last edited by GT; 10-08-2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: quoted post
Old 10-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #66
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAREV8
Why is it that you join a forum dedicated to car enthusiasts?

Here we have someone who has done something stupid, scared himself and has had the balls to post it publicly in the hope that maybe someone reads it and learns something from it.
Even if one person remembers this story and has a second thought before doing something "spirited", then thats a good thing, irrespective of their age or experience.

I don't believe for a minute that posts like your last one offer any help, advice or useful information to anyone.

I thought I'd post up some data albeit slightly old now listing AAMI's top cars involved in accidents- the results may surprise.

AAMI's list of top 10 cars involved in accidents in Australia in the past year: 1. Lexus RX330 sports wagon 2004.
2. Subaru Impreza GX hatchback 2003.
3. Toyota Camry Sportivo 2004.
4. Holden Astra hatchback 2004.
5. Nissan Maxima 1999.
6. Ford Falcon Classic 2004.
7. Mazda 626 Classic hatchback 1999.
8. Mazda wagon 2002.
9. Honda Odyssey wagon 2003.
10. Mazda 626 Classic hatchback 2002.

exactly what i was thinking, although i would not have been as word wise in my reply to him/her
Old 10-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #67
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
exactly what i was thinking, although i would not have been as word wise in my reply to him/her

Hahaha! I'm a slow typer so this allows me a little self control......I don't offer the same luxury when debating face to face!
Unfortunately, some people on these forums are nameless, faceless non contributing types who one will never meet face to face but I suspect that they would be quite different to how they portray themselves on here.
In contrast, many of us all know each other outside of the forums, a detail that may be missed by some of the others.........

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
Old 10-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #68
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Near my house most the cars I hear accelerating loudly at night are 4 cylinders with fart cans.
Just because you think v8 drivers are the hoons doesn't make it true. We all have opinions.

What car do you own kpcart????

Last edited by GT; 10-08-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: quoted post that has been deleted
Old 10-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #69
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just wanted say that I respect the guys that have manned up and admitted their mistakes on the Forum. It takes balls to openly admit mistakes that have been made.

I have been very lucky in my early years of driving. I had a couple of very minor bingles (all low speed), while on my P's only. The worst being reversing into a Telstra van. I am sure we have all done many supid things in our early years, and it just pure luck that we are here to share those stories.

Unfortunatley others I know weren't so lucky.

When we were 19 (about 18 years ago now), we lost a good mate. He was on his way to gym with another fellow in the car. They were flying through a a built up area (rumour is doing about 160 in a 60 zone), when the driver lost control. The passenger managed to escape serious injury (just a broken arm), our mate, however, died at the scene.

For his family, it was a double blow. His Father had died only months before.

Another incident happened a little closer to home.

My cousin had been out drinking with his workmate after a days fishing. They had planned to spend the night at the hotel after drinking, but running out of money and deciding not to sleep in the car, they decided to drive home. (My cousin was the driver).

I am not sure of the details fully, but on the way home, my cousin veered onto the wrong side of the road, and head on into an oncoming car. The driver of the oncoming car was killed. He had a wife and daughter. (I do believe from memory that they were in the car too.)

My cousin eventually served 3 years for the accident. While in gaol, he had surgery a couple of times, but nothing was found. A couple of years later, he was diagnosed with cancer. He allowed the cancer to take him. He had given up on life as the guilt was too great to deal with.

He never got to see his own daughter grow up, or get married or a have a child of her own. The same goes for the driver of the oncoming car.

I am now 37, (my cousin was 39 when he died), I have a daughter who will be 6 in December, and a son who will be 3 in September. My children mean everything to me, and I like to believe that I mean everything to them aswell.

It bothers me greatly, what I see on the road. People taking stupid risks, endangering their own lives, but also the lives of people around them.

My cousin may have survived the accident, but he spent the short remainder of his life wishing that he hadn't. That night, his stupid actions affected a family in the worst possible way.

Years later it came to affect ours aswell.

I sincerely hope that the OP and the other posters here have learned from their own experiences, and the experiences that have been shared in this thread. Life is too short and to precious too waste for a few seconds of bravado.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #70
nipper575
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In regards to V8 owners being hoons: This is something that really gets under my skin. I constantly have people staring at my car when I drive past, just because a car emits a sound unlike the rest of the food processor exhaust notes that other cars possess doesn't mean it's speeding. Maybe some people are just admiring, but I'm sure I get negative attention too despite sticking to the speed limit and driving sensibly.

To all the people that don't know any better (the vast majority): Don't assume someone is hooning just because their car sounds "sporty", I often see people in little buzz boxes driving more erratically. These same people feel the need to try and drag me at the lights, like they've got something to prove, I just let them go.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #71
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

any photos of the car?
Old 10-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #72
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper575
In regards to V8 owners being hoons: This is something that really gets under my skin. I constantly have people staring at my car when I drive past, just because a car emits a sound unlike the rest of the food processor exhaust notes that other cars possess doesn't mean it's speeding. Maybe some people are just admiring, but I'm sure I get negative attention too despite sticking to the speed limit and driving sensibly.

To all the people that don't know any better (the vast majority): Don't assume someone is hooning just because their car sounds "sporty",go.
Perhaps people are looking your way because the exhaust is too loud and beyone the legal limits? just asking.

Its not beyond human nature to suggest that such open disregard for others and indeed the laws may extend further than just the exhaust with the owner of the vehicle in question and that indeed the driver of such vehicles would be more inclined to hoon(please note, a loud exhaust doesnt = hoon, just more likely). My observations, whilst anecdotal would tend to support this.

Right now sitting at home on a rainy afternoon, I can hear the cars approaching the bend in the road where I live and I just have to listen to the exhaust as they approach to know which ones are going to have to fishtail around........
Old 10-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #73
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
Perhaps people are looking your way because the exhaust is too loud and beyone the legal limits? just asking.

Its not beyond human nature to suggest that such open disregard for others and indeed the laws may extend further than just the exhaust with the owner of the vehicle in question and that indeed the driver of such vehicles would be more inclined to hoon(please note, a loud exhaust doesnt = hoon, just more likely). My observations, whilst anecdotal would tend to support this.

Right now sitting at home on a rainy afternoon, I can hear the cars approaching the bend in the road where I live and I just have to listen to the exhaust as they approach to know which ones are going to have to fishtail around........

Interesting, in my area (near a number of roundabouts), the tradie utes do not seem to have big loud exhausts (but they love sideways action on the roundabouts, wet or dry).

Perhaps the sound of the loud exhaust attracts attention and therefore the act is noted. Perhaps a quieter vehicle conducts the same act without being noted, just putting the idea out there.

My point, generalisations tend to breed misconceptions, in my experience.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #74
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Interesting, in my area (near a number of roundabouts), the tradie utes do not seem to have big loud exhausts (but they love sideways action on the roundabouts, wet or dry).

Perhaps the sound of the loud exhaust attracts attention and therefore the act is noted. Perhaps a quieter vehicle conducts the same act without being noted, just putting the idea out there.

My point, generalisations tend to breed misconceptions, in my experience.
I appreciate your point, but, certainly Ill hear any car that gives it some juice and gets the wheels to spin going around the corner that is only 20 meters from where im sitting and there have been some regularly muffled cars on odd occasions, but they are the exception.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #75
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I appreciate your point, but, certainly Ill hear any car that gives it some juice and gets the wheels to spin going around the corner that is only 20 meters from where im sitting and there have been some regularly muffled cars on odd occasions, but they are the exception.
Is this the same person, or is it jst me?

Your troll like posts are not helping this topic. Thank you for your usual and predictable posts though.

Last edited by GT; 10-08-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: quoted post that has been deleted
Old 10-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #76
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All I can say is that those who have lived through their formative years and survived in every context has a lot to do with pure luck particularly when we are talking about young males and cars.

I did stupid stuff when I was younger though not this sort and I would consider myself and anyone who knows me to be an intelligent person. You know what can happen but you never really know until it does. Unfortunately at that point you can't take it back

We can educate all we want but human curiosity will always exist and all you can do is hope those who 'get off' learn and the medium used to teach gets more effective to deter from doing so in the first place even be it one.

Once again this goes for all facets of life
Old 10-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #77
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
people may have 2 other reasons for looking his way
1. they hear the sound of a loud (but not too loud) engine and either appreciate the car - or they expect him to do something silly
2. they look his way, in the same way as most non tatooed/bearded/pierced people look at those who have tattoos/beards/piercings. they have nothing better to do with their lives but discriminate against those who have different interests than them

idiots come in all shapes and sizes on the road. they drive new cars, they drive old cars. they drive nice cars and they drive crap heaps. there is some truth in the idea that idiots are drawn to hot cars, but being drawn to a hot car does not make someone an idiot

having said all of that, i am not sure why some people do not like the attention or the word hoon. if you drive a car that is perceived to be hot, you will be considered a hoon - and you will attract attention. drive sensibly and you will virtually never have problems. drive like an idiot and you will. being typecast as a hoon is the least of my problems. i actually like the term, but then i do not have a guilty conscience
Closed Thread