Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #31
ray38l

Default Re: Holden VE Commodore being dropped from a crane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
You should see some of the "new" cars which have been donated to TAFEs across Australia for apprentices.

When I did mine at Chisholm in Frankston back in 2003, there was a new VP and some others I can't recall. Amazing to see those cars so mint, after all the years. Nice glimpse in automotive history. I'm sure there are some Falcons around too.
i remember in about 2001 when i was at tafe doing panel beating there was a vl turbo there with 27 kilometres on it. Would be worth a bit but im sure they would never sell it.
They also had a heap of daihatsu's there that they got for free because the boat went under a wave on the way over. The government did a deal with them so that they got them for free. We used to have competition's to see who could cut 1 up into certain sizes with an oxy the quickest.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2011, 01:23 AM   #32
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six
This is not the first time a VE Commodore was dropped from a crane. I remember a similar test being done 3 years ago where a red HSV Commodore was dropped as part of practice organised by a fire and rescue service in some state (can't remember which state exactly) for crash scenes
The QFRS, we have a copy of the DVD at our station & watched it again last week for training.
Amazingly, the HSV and silver Commodore in the original post showed a similar result, and the test was indeed scientifically calculated to simulate a head on collusion.
The last part of the DVD shows the same test. but with a 1985 Ford Telstar hatch.
The results of that are simply mind blowing.....

Ed
Old 28-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #33
kpcart
Banned

the VE commodore was built to be more structurally rigid then a BMW 5 series, so im assuming the car held up well in this test.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #34
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
the VE commodore was built to be more structurally rigid then a BMW 5 series, so im assuming the car held up well in this test.
Never mind the 5 series was launched 4 years earlier.
More proof that people should be driving their families around in something decent like a Commodore or Falcon. A 5 star ANCAP Polo or Fiesta won't mean *** when one of these ploughs into it at 100kmh.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #35
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ve_commodore

The VE has pretty impressive credentials on wikipedia, and here was I thinking that most of that billion was spent on the advertising blimp. Does Ford have anything to show for the FG? Did Ford have an idea of where it (FG) was going back in 1999? Does the FG lose out to VE in terms of modular construction and panel gaps? The article for FG makes it seem that it was just another day in the life of Ford Australia .
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #36
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I wonder if the door mirrors are still intact.
They're the ones that have the warning on the bottom that says;
"OBJECTS IN MIRROR MAY BE INVISIBLE BEHIND ALL THIS TACKY BODYWORK".

Seriously though, I'm not surprised the A pillars survived the fall, after all, the last time I saw pillars that thick they were supporting a building in Athens.

Still in all, it warms the cockles of your heart to know some VN driving bogan is grieving somewhere over this vertically challenged piece of automotive history. Knowing his dreams of "I coulda fixt gnat" or even perhaps "I coulda stuck parts gnat on tha VN" have been extinguished.
To quote Nelson of the Simpsons; "Haa Haa".

Quote: