Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #31
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why are SUV's so popular ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Does anybody really need many things they have? I don't need my vehicle to survive, or an HDTV, Blu-ray Player, satellite, Internet, computer, iPhone. All we really NEED is food, water and shelter, so unless you're living with the bare minimum (and you have the ability to have anything you want), stop criticizing others for having things you think they do not need.

Well said.
100% true.

I don't know if you would call a Prado a SUv or a 4x4, either way I was driving the work one the other day, It's a 3.0L Turbo diesel. Flicking with the buttons on the dash and it reveled an AVERAGE consumption of 8.6L/100kms.
The Average speed was 53km/h.
Its probably 60% freeway 40% city. I personally know a few drivers do not accelerate conservatively either.

I think 8.6L/100kms is great consumption. It weighs 2.5 tons and still has pretty good power.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cars for people with back problems(or oldies) and other other ailments, getting kids out already mentioned, being low are a bit more difficult it get in and out of, usually the doors are taller in the suv soft roader, again easier access, handling is a non issue if you don`t drive them like a sports car, blind spots....all cars have them, you just have to use your mirrors, a commanding view of the traffic, lots of room inside, i could easily have a territory or slap my face even a tarago, the thing with these vehicles is they generally don`t drive like big vehicles, i wan`t the better handling and performance of a falcon, but down the track in my old age i can see an suv/soft roader in driveway for points mentioned, it`s merely a choice of different qualities that suit the user.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #33
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can do the 6 hour trip out to the country to visit the folks in the missus SUV in the same time as the XR8 and yes there is a very large mountain pass to get over and some very long straights as well.Wouldn't like to take the XR8 into some of those old bog holes we used to play in as youngsters out there but the SUV handles them fine even with my P plate daughter at the wheel,the old tracks with creek crossings and washouts are way easier to manovoure along then the old XP and XT used to be in the day.Can't seem to get the XR8 up over one of those standup curbs when parking is at a premium at the footy or basketball but the SUV doesn't blink an eye.Don't seem to have to worry as much about how every square inch of luggage space is packed for a trip anymore either. And the big one for me is the missus and daughter don't seem to be attracted to curbs with the nice shiny wheels like they were in the XR8.Just a few reasons off the top of the head from someone who had a dislike for SUV's until I tried one.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #34
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

We've had sedans the last few years, and the wife always wanted an SUV. So when it was time to change last month, we moved to an SUV. For US it was for the following reasons;

- elderley parents, it is easier for them as it is harder for them to get in and out of very low cars
- 2 young kids and all their stuff. Bags, bikes etc. Whenever we went to the park with kids and bikes, we had to take two cars, which is nuts.
- If only we had an SUV when we had baby seats, it would have been so much easier.
- Being higher, is alot better in traffic
- More luggage space for long distance trips

Of those people bagging SUV's and saying that they "hate" them... how many of you have a young family?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #35
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury 8
I can do the 6 hour trip out to the country to visit the folks in the missus SUV in the same time as the XR8 and yes there is a very large mountain pass to get over and some very long straights as well.Wouldn't like to take the XR8 into some of those old bog holes we used to play in as youngsters out there but the SUV handles them fine even with my P plate daughter at the wheel,the old tracks with creek crossings and washouts are way easier to manovoure along then the old XP and XT used to be in the day.Can't seem to get the XR8 up over one of those standup curbs when parking is at a premium at the footy or basketball but the SUV doesn't blink an eye.Don't seem to have to worry as much about how every square inch of luggage space is packed for a trip anymore either. And the big one for me is the missus and daughter don't seem to be attracted to curbs with the nice shiny wheels like they were in the XR8.Just a few reasons off the top of the head from someone who had a dislike for SUV's until I tried one.
What he said ^^^^^^^
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #36
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

So long as a Territory is classed as a SUV (it is - isn't it?) then I'm guity as charged...

Simply because I have 4 kids... (My Terry is a 7 seater)...

And have you seen people driving Tarago's? They look like they want to end it all!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #37
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby
"More comfortable than anything Honda offers" Wow those Accords must be rubbish!

I've news for you, the RAV 4 isn't smaller than a Yaris or Corolla, Is heavier, would use more fuel, have less tyre life, is more prone to rollover than a sedan - ohh but it does carry more!
yes, they were rubbish in my opinion. we wanted a honda, until we drove one - the civic, the accord, the accord euro and the crv

i have news for you. you sit higher in a rav4, so visibility is much better than a yaris or corolla. when sitting lower in a car, they feel bigger. you also seem to sit much further back (maybe an illusion with the sloping window), so the dashboard layout makes it feel smaller. a rav4 is heaps easier to get around town and a car park. much better visibility (the front of the vehicle is much easier to judge). have you actually driven all three of them

the rav4 does not have blind spots from my experience. if you cannot see a car beside you or behind you, it is not there. a reverse camera goes a long way to seeing what is directly behind you

and no, they do not sound like an old truck - the 4 cylinder is a fairly smooth motor that is not that bad on fuel

Last edited by gtxb67; 02-09-2011 at 06:38 PM.
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #38
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
So long as a Territory is classed as a SUV (it is - isn't it?) then I'm guity as charged...

Simply because I have 4 kids... (My Terry is a 7 seater)...

And have you seen people driving Tarago's? They look like they want to end it all!!!
actually the tarago`s don`t drive too bad, even though they look like a school bus, fairly nippy too.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #39
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are so popular because they are so good.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #40
Carby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
yes, they were rubbish in my opinion. we wanted a honda, until we drove one - the civic, the accord, the accord euro and the crv

i have news for you. you sit higher in a rav4, so visibility is much better than a yaris or corolla. when sitting lower in a car, they feel bigger. you also seem to sit much further back (maybe an illusion with the sloping window), so the dashboard layout makes it feel smaller. a rav4 is heaps easier to get around town and a car park. much better visibility (the front of the vehicle is much easier to judge). have you actually driven all three of them

the rav4 does not have blind spots from my experience. if you cannot see a car beside you or behind you, it is not there. a reverse camera goes a long way to seeing what is directly behind you

and no, they do not sound like an old truck - the 4 cylinder is a fairly smooth motor that is not that bad on fuel
I've driven the Accord & Civic and been in the RAV 4. I'm surprised you find the Rav 4 more comfortable but I suppose it's personal choice. Just like when I drive either of my brothers 4WD's (Pajero and Jeep Grand Cherokee) I hate being so high I feel they'll tip over at the next roundabout and I'm conscience how fast I go around corners............
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #41
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby
I've driven the Accord & Civic and been in the RAV 4. I'm surprised you find the Rav 4 more comfortable but I suppose it's personal choice. Just like when I drive either of my brothers 4WD's (Pajero and Jeep Grand Cherokee) I hate being so high I feel they'll tip over at the next roundabout and I'm conscience how fast I go around corners............
of course it is all personal choice and fit - the euro was a nice car, but still didn't grab us entirely. the accord to me had an uncomfortable seating position. the civic was ok for a $22,000 car, but to me it cannot compete with the rav4 cruiser l. when suggesting comfort, i am talking the whole driving experience for me. the seating in the rav4 is good. the visibility. the position of the steering wheel, guages, and gear stick is all good. the fact we have a manual probably helps with smoothness (as opposed to it kicking down whenever it wants <like the civic we drove>). of course others will drive a rav4 and find it different, because they are taller or shorter than me. they will be heavier or lighter etc. but to me the rav4 and cx7 (especially) feel like a car, more than a 4wd. i have not had any problems with cornering - it seems to sit very well for me. it is not a performance vehicle, but it does not feel unstable or cumbersome

either way, after driving a rav4 and cx7, i was pleasantly surprised at how well they drove and sat on the road - not what i expected. i expected them to be more like the crv was (which was a bus)
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #42
Carby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
of course it is all personal choice and fit - the euro was a nice car, but still didn't grab us entirely. the accord to me had an uncomfortable seating position. the civic was ok for a $22,000 car, but to me it cannot compete with the rav4 cruiser l. when suggesting comfort, i am talking the whole driving experience for me. the seating in the rav4 is good. the visibility. the position of the steering wheel, guages, and gear stick is all good. the fact we have a manual probably helps with smoothness (as opposed to it kicking down whenever it wants <like the civic we drove>). of course others will drive a rav4 and find it different, because they are taller or shorter than me. they will be heavier or lighter etc. but to me the rav4 and cx7 (especially) feel like a car, more than a 4wd. i have not had any problems with cornering - it seems to sit very well for me. it is not a performance vehicle, but it does not feel unstable or cumbersome

either way, after driving a rav4 and cx7, i was pleasantly surprised at how well they drove and sat on the road - not what i expected. i expected them to be more like the crv was (which was a bus)
Well I suppose they were the originators of that type of vehicle (compact SUV) so Toyota would have it pretty spot on by now.
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #43
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVwannabe
Have you driven any modern SUV's? Sure they are probably not "needed", but as i always tell the wife, i dont NEED anything, but i WANT everything lol.

Higher driving position equals perceived safety. Some, like Territories, drive like a car. Some have excellent space/seating options that you simply cant get in a sedan.

I'm sure there are other reasons.
I've driven a fair few SUV's mainly mazda's (as i work for them) and i just can't get to like them even the AWD turbo models still have the feeling of being to bulky. I guess it all just comes down to personal choice and you like what you like.

Cheers Lorenz
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #44
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we have a hyundai ix35 that we bought a few months ago, i wanted an xr6t but got shouted down :(

reasons for suv:
- looks, she didn't like the look of wagons (tried to sell her the SS sportwagon idea but she wouldn't be in it)
- able to put the dog in the back
- economy of turbo diesel
- liked the bells and whistles of the top end hyundai, thought the xr was plain inside
- hyundai have a 5 year warranty
- and it was our money so we bought what she wanted (happy wife happy life)

i'll wait for the 'new car smell' the wear off before i try to take it to the beach
Old 02-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #45
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Wow there are a lot of either bad drivers here or uneducated. These larger vehicles handle quiet well , seen many outback rallies at speeds of 200 plus kph , I can tell you your really hooking before you will roll a patrol , unless its got 4 or more inches of lift all of the weight is quite low .I think others are grasping at straws without actually owning 1 .
The falcon is an awesome work hack that's about where it ends for me , and i have owned my share of fairlanes luxury is great but it really depends what you want out of a car .
the 150 prado I have has lift kit winch , muddies etc ...and I use it !

the roads up here people get sick of bottoming out and smashing rims (mate on here is up to 8 or ten I think ) falcons ride on good roads would be only par with the prado ..but I am not the majority so my situation is a lot different than most . then on the flip side if I lived in the city I would only buy acar that can get knocked about , a pile of junk as long as it was reliable.
And again to those who don't like em in the city you must really freak out when a courier van or a bus pulls up beside you ... what a joke .
Old 03-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #46
kts350
Starter Motor

We bought a diesel captiva a few months ago and find it a lot more practical then our old sedan. I have bad ankles and knees and the Captiva is a hell of a lot easier to get in and out of.
The old car was ***** to get out of some drive ways and bottomed out over every speed hump the captiva not a worry.
Couldnt take my old car down the tracks we go down when we go camping but now I can without an issue, Turbo Diesel much cheaper to run then our old car.. In a couple of years time I'll be looking at doing up an falcon so I can wait til then for another V8.
kts350 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #47
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
SUVs save the family man from buying a Tarago/minivan and all of the depressive thoughts that follow soon after. It's the big suckers like Land Cruisers and Pajeros that I see as pointless in the city. Having previously had a Territory, I think SUVs are great, they are so comfortable, roomy, practical, easy on the eye, commanding driving position, etc etc, that's why they are popular.
You make a good point about Landcrusiers and the like being pointless in the city, I do drive my Patrol in the city if need be, but it's always fun trying to squeeze past buses and people who don't like there own lane very much, then parking it can be an issue, not that im bad at parking but trying to fit nearly 3 ton of steel in-between others who are not always parked strait is hard again, when I can i take the lancer, it's just so much easier, as something like a Territory would be
Old 03-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #48
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Unless it's breaking the law, it's no one else's buissiness what others drive, some people really do need to get a hobby....

I drive a Landcruiser as a daily and i vote....

SWMBO drives a Hilux as a daily and she votes....

We go bush a lot...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #49
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good Lord! We've uncovered a few chips on shoulders here haven't we? As an owner of one of these "useless" SUVs I'm happy to offer up some casual observations. Our household (my wife & I) has 2 cars. If I could do the unfashionable sexist thing and break it down into 'his & hers', mine is a BF GT and hers is a Subaru Forester turbo.

So, let's get a few things out in the open. The GT is faster than the Subaru (although not by heaps ). It out corners the Subie easily. It kills it under brakes. However, the relevance of this is zero. They are two different cars, and personally, I use them for two different purposes.

If I'm going for a Sunday cruise, I'll grab the GT, no doubt. If its a bit of a weekend away where all the roads are sealed, then the GT looks the goods as well. However, the Subie tends to trump the GT in multiple other real world aspects. Going fishing and want to throw the rods, chairs, eskies etc in, then the Subaru is great. Going to the snow, a no-brainer. Camping, a no-brainer as well. Bit of a weekend away where there's the odd gravel road, the Subie gets the nod. I can chuck a big Coleman esky in the back of the Subaru and still have tonnes of space. The same esky won't even fit in the Falcon's shallow boot. In fact, I almost feel sorry for how much my beloved GT gets left behind, given the choice between the two vehicles.

I drive within the car's limits. On a sweeping bend that I'd do 100kph in the GT I might do 90kph in the Subaru. If I was towing a trailer, I'd do 80. Big deal. I know its offroad limitations well, so whilst I use its additional ground clearance and suspension compliance occasionally, I don't go banging it over creek crossings or jumping it over sand dunes like some fool. I can't understand why people don't get this?

Aside from the practical aspects, my wife loves her Forester. She's not the tallest girl in the world and she loves the extra ride height and the visibility afforded by the large glass area. She's not a car person at all, but she loves the Subie. She doesn't barrel it around corners or push its design envelope. Ultimately, its a comfortable, very practical car that ultimately does many things better than the GT. That's life. Whether its the very best possible vehicle on road or off road really isn't the point.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #50
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why are SUV's so popular...

In my case because said SUV (MY09 Forester XT) will

Climb a snowy mountain road to the skifield (without chains)

Traverse an alpine pass in the worst winter weather (without chains)

Cross a river bed (with water flowing through it)

Drive along a beach to go surfing

Negotiate a wet, muddy paddock

Tackle a gravel road like a rally car

and I can put my kids in their car seat without having to be a contornsionist

Nothing I could do with my XR8

Sure the XR8 was great for long intercity road trips but SUV's are so versatile. Some SUV's are junk though and I wouldn't touch them but Subaru's AWD is really unbeatable in an affordable vehicle.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #51
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SUV or 4x4 ???
We all buy for whatever the reason
I have a 4x4 , goes quite well for a near 3 tonne lump
Does the speed limit,all day , can go safely well beyond the speed limit,any day
Goes rather quick of the lights for a large lump
So the MYTH of they aint fast,is that a myth
I dont bother for the 4x4 bashing the car on the weekend because its a 4x4
The roads are terrible out here, i need something that will tow the large loads i need
Im looking into a terry ATM, a tad more modern

The days of cars low enough to lift an ant are long gone
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #52
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky
reasons for suv:
- looks, she didn't like the look of wagons (tried to sell her the SS sportwagon idea but she wouldn't be in it)
This is pretty much the reason why I'm not bothering to look at wagons. The Minister for Finance doesn't like the look of them.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post