Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Audi S 5 impressions

Called in on a mate of mine yesterday and he'd done some changes to his multiple garage contents since I last saw him a couple of weeks ago.
A Taureg and Ferrari Superamerica were gone and an Audi Q7 and S 5 had taken their place. (He can buy anything he likes ... so his choice).

"Want to take the S 5 for a fang he said"? "Is the Pope Catholic" I replied.

Being only one week old I treated the S 5 gently by not hitting the red line (within the first 100 m). At 260 kw it didn't have the stonk of my departed F6 but how smoooooth. Surrounded by electronic gadgets of mind blowing proportions, it's like sitting in the cockpit of a 747. The starter is a button on the left side of the console and the "hand brake" is a button on the right side. The sat-nav informed me of my where abouts before I'd moved and kept doing so until we worked out how to shut it up. The 4.2 V8 is devoid of mechanical noises but the crisp crackle from the exhaust tells you that a "let's get haulin" V8 is under the bonnet. With all wheel drive and every other safety innovation known to man it was certainly an impressive drive and ticks all the boxes.

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
GT-E

Default Re: Audi S 5 impressions

...except value for money
They are a great car, but like most of the Euro's we pay way to much for them.
You are a lucky man being able to drive it
Old 10-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
J.Molloy
Territorial

and... jealous
Think I need a loaded friend that likes fast cars and is generous with the keys

Absolutely love the styling of Audi's just need a spare 300k for an R8, or maybe I could settle for a twin turbo V10 RS6 hmmmm

Did he mention what his thoughts on the Q7 were??
Old 10-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
WASP
Whipple Induced

I love the S5, they are a fantastic piece of kit and the 4.2 is a very sweet sounding engine but not quiet in the same league as the AMG 6.2. A very smart and sophisticated vehicle for sure. There are low km used versions getting around for the just over the $100k mark which is very tempting. I only wish they made the 4 door coupe version with the V8 rather than the supercharged 6.

Last edited by WASP; 10-09-2011 at 12:53 AM.
WASP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lucky man, Audi know how to make a quality car. Bloke at work has an 07/08 RS4 with a ***** load of performance gear on it. Thing goes like stink and sounds incredible.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 01:30 AM   #6
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

ditto, mention anything about the Q7?
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 02:06 AM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwa
Lucky man, Audi know how to make a quality car. Bloke at work has an 07/08 RS4 with a ***** load of performance gear on it. Thing goes like stink and sounds incredible.
a good car no doubt, but like all cars with lots of electrical gadgets, some have warranty issues.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3
ditto, mention anything about the Q7?

The Q7 is built on the same platform as the Toureg he traded in and was at another residence so it was sort of out of mind. I did ask him about though and he said he only bought it because the Toureg had done 190,000 kms and was starting to cost a lot of money in upkeep. He doesn't like the Q7 styling but it's got 300 mm longer rear load space which is handy, as, like the Toureg, he will be using it as a work horse.

As a couple of you guys are interested, I'll ask him for a drive next time he brings it down to the Coast and let you know what it's like.

Footnote:
A couple of years back we swapped cars and I drove his Superamerica and he drove my BF F6 (300 RWKW). He was mightily impressed with the performance of the F6, while I on the other hand, was slightly underwhelmed by the Ferrari. Don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful car but the performance could have been better for the money (around $600K).
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Which Q7 has he got ?
A fella down the road from me has a Q7 V12 TDI that goes like the clappers, unfortunatly we are not close enough for him to swap my Landcruiser for his Q7.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post