Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation There is a good reason why you dont put a baby on your lap while driving...

Quote:
Baby on mum's lap critical after crash

Posted October 14, 2011 14:57:09

A baby boy is in a critical condition after a car crash in Sydney's west early this morning.

Police say the one-year-old was sitting on his mother's lap in the front passenger seat of a van driven by his father when it slammed into the rear of a parked truck at Harris Park about 5:00am (AEDT).

The infant was injured when the van's airbags deployed.

He was taken to the Children's Hospital at Westmead with severe facial and internal injuries, where he remains in a critical but stable condition.

The boy's mother and father, aged 26 and 30, were taken to Westmead Hospital with minor injuries.

Police say the parents will be interviewed at a later stage.

They are appealing for witnesses to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Seriously is it worth the risk ?

Fit a baby capsule (properly! and if you cant do it go to your local ambulance station and get them to fit it, QLD ambos offer this service).

If your in a ute or van with no back seat... then dont put your child at risk!
Its sad to hear that a child may not get to grow up because their parents were too stupid.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 14-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: There is a good reason why you dont put a baby on your lap while driving...

Sounds like pure laziness to me. Let me guess, these parents are gonna try and sue the vehicle manufacturer for the air bag causing the damage too.

F-en morons.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Re: There is a good reason why you dont put a baby on your lap while driving...

A prime example of the type of stupidity that both keeps us busy and frustrated.
Old 14-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
gtfpv
GT

YEP. I know people have their moments of stupidity but seriously !!!! that just isnt right . i feel so sorry for the baby .
NEWS FLASH . man burns his finger holding it over a flame .
Old 14-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Werd.
nou

Can you install a baby seat in a bench van? (in the middle)?

Also what a flapping idiot! I'd offer some sympathy if a car infront nailed the brakes, vans often have crap braking ability, but only some sympathy as he was still obviously tail gating.

To hit a PARKED truck though... I hope this guy ends himself with the guilt killing his child will bring him, no excuse.
Old 14-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another parent of the year award.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 14-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

man if this was captured on video they'd win the biggest dipstick of the year award!!
Old 14-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

On the surface of things - this is a tragic event, and something that should never have happened.
One of the things that makes me stop & ask questions is what possible circumstances led to the parents deciding that a trip at 5.00am in the morning with an unrestrained child in the front seat was so important?
It may already have been a 'mercy' dash to hospital?
Yes I do realise that a call to 000, would have been far more preferable, but not all residents in Sydney's west are trusting of the 000 service. Just saying that maybe there is more to this then what the "media" has reported.
Old 14-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The horrifying reason that cars have warnings about no kids seat or capsule in the front is that there were a lot of cases in the USA of not only deaths, but babies being decapitated when they were jammed between the airbag and the capsule as it all folded up...

Absolutely no excuse for not having kids secured properly...
Old 14-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

Its sad but unfortunately it almost a daily sight in my area and the worst part is the cops wont do a thing. Why bother having kids if your gonna put them at risk like that.

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
Old 15-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #11
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
On the surface of things - this is a tragic event, and something that should never have happened.
One of the things that makes me stop & ask questions is what possible circumstances led to the parents deciding that a trip at 5.00am in the morning with an unrestrained child in the front seat was so important?
Yes I do realise that a call to 000, would have been far more preferable, but not all residents in Sydney's west are trusting of the 000 service. Just saying that maybe there is more to this then what the "media" has reported.
Exactly my thoughts. It's a sad incident, hopefully the kid survives and recovers well.
Old 15-10-2011, 01:11 AM   #12
No.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Sounds like pure laziness to me. Let me guess, these parents are gonna try and sue the vehicle manufacturer for the air bag causing the damage too.

F-en morons.

good luck to them to try and win a case. Airbags have warnings saying to never have a child in your lap incase of airbag deployment.
Old 15-10-2011, 01:50 AM   #13
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Unbelievable. I live in Western Sydney and the sheer amount of stupidity I see is beyond comprehension.
Old 15-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

If there are any extenuating circumstances, they will come out in due course..
I'm hoping that other road users listen and take heed of this tragedy.

How can we stop people from making poor judgement calls?
Education and policing of unsafe acts.
Old 15-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #15
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
Agree, no more to add.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 15-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #16
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't like to say this but could it be that you are all assuming that the parents are of "******* descent"? You'll get no argument from me - yes this is a terrible thing to happen but how many times have we seen it, "******" families crammed into cars, can't speak ********, don't understand the road rules etc etc. Why? because they come to this country and bring their culture with them. (No I'm not having an attack on immigration!!)

As jpd80 has said, it's education and policing which is failing - I hope the little takker recovers.

My Gallery Photos Here

Last edited by wulos; 15-10-2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate content.
Old 15-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

already had one thread full of racial rubbish... if you believe its just ***** who cant drive open ya eyes.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....

Last edited by wulos; 15-10-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate content.
Old 15-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #18
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Asking the question is not racist.

Shame when kids are victims of parents lack of thought...
Old 15-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #19
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Right here in this thread is the problem with today's society.
Very quick to judge, But very slow to offer suggestion and help!
I'm sure there would me more to this story then many of you care to stop and think.
20 -30 years ago no one thought twice in doing this! As a kid I remember rolling around in the back of the wagon while dad drove around corners braked and accelerated. It was fun back then!

Everyone has a reason for their actions. Good or bad, right or wrong.
Old 15-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #20
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot
Right here in this thread is the problem with today's society.
Very quick to judge, But very slow to offer suggestion and help!
I'm sure there would me more to this story then many of you care to stop and think.
20 -30 years ago no one thought twice in doing this! As a kid I remember rolling around in the back of the wagon while dad drove around corners braked and accelerated. It was fun back then!

Everyone has a reason for their actions. Good or bad, right or wrong.

absolutely right . and most parents were drunk too whilst driving home with the kids in the back unsecured .
the issue of foriegnors though !! i dont see that as racist , we have a problem in this country with 2 tiered rules . and thats our govts fault . to some degree the worlds fault . to easy to go to another country with a drivers licence and drive a car . not reading english is a prime example of stupidity, white born here aussies can be worse due to raod rage. in anycase
people read this thread and dont assume YOU . OR YOUR PARTNER are less stupid . take head of the thread and make your rules clear with your partner .and relatives . our kids are 13 and 11 and my wife and i often debate if its appropriate for them to sit in the front at thier ages .its thought that matters . must be vigilent with safety .
Old 15-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #21
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Prob best we leave the discussion where it is at this point in time.
Plain and simple this is a tragic series of events, and I am likewise sure that any sane parent involved in any incident even remotely resembling this one, would like to believe they would make different decisions, resulting in a far better outcome then was reported by the media.
The original article makes no mention of the parents apart from their age. We should be offering them our support, and shared knowledge. Best we leave the judge, jury, and executioner stuff to those that get paid for the priveledge(?) of having to deal with this incident, and have ALL the facts available to them.
Closed Thread