Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #31
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default Re: 11-12k to spend on hot hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by woteva
I purchased a 306 S16 last year and this pretty much exactly what happened! And parts are a ******* nightmare to find!
www.ebay.co.uk is a brilliant place to start. There are that many suppliers of Pug biys over in the UK that ship here for cheap you shouldn't have any issues.

Cheech, this has some bearing on your choice, how tall are you and what size shoe do you wear?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #32
Cheech
HELL YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
www.ebay.co.uk is a brilliant place to start. There are that many suppliers of Pug biys over in the UK that ship here for cheap you shouldn't have any issues.

Cheech, this has some bearing on your choice, how tall are you and what size shoe do you wear?
175cm, size 9, 74kgs.

I won't have a problem getting into a small Frenchie.

I like the exterior styling of the Pug gti 180 but I like the engine in the Clio 182. After trawling through the Aussie Frogs forum, the general consensus is that there is not much more to be done in modifying these two vehicles. They were pretty good as they were direct from factory.

As I mentioned earlier though, I (and the Mrs) do like the retro styling of the Mini Cooper S, so might compare this with the Froggy's.

2019 Ssangyong Rexton fourby (the daily driver, tow pig & snowmobile)

Last edited by Cheech; 12-10-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #33
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech
175cm, size 9, 74kgs.

I won't have a problem getting into a small Frenchie.

I like the exterior styling of the Pug gti 180 but I like the engine in the Clio 182. After trawling through the Aussie Frogs forum, the general consensus is that there is not much more to be done in modifying these two vehicles. They were pretty good as they were direct from factory.

As I mentioned earlier though, I (and the Mrs) do like the retro styling of the Mini Cooper S, so might compare this with the Froggy's.
You should be right, about the same height and foot as me. Anything bigger and you start to struggle with the pug due to the slightly odd driving position and pedal lay out.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #34
ChrisCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
325is is sweet no doubt, but people ask $15+ for a good one.

Even a 318is E30 is awesome.
I had one of the E30 318i's 2dr, it was a fantastic little car, never had a car that handled as good since, supremely well balanced

The only probs with em were the fuel pump,

I want to get another one one day just for a track car
ChrisCE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #35
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
As title suggests I'm looking at getting a little fun machine to complement the XR6T.

Must be under 100,000 klm

In the running at the moment are:

Renault Clio sport 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
Renault Clio Sport will decimate all in every area in this price range.
^^ This hands down, and nothing else....

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
Buy one of the frenchies....
Bang^

Cheech, I will PM you some Info.

Lucky I found this thread, I am the only one qualified to answer your question, as I am a true Hot Hatchy, speak from invaluable experience (invaluable to you in this situation anyway :P) and I am Always right.

I owned a 182 Cup Clio from brand new for 4 years. The very best car I ever owned, and I loved it dearly. The only car that made me swap it over was its big bro, the Megane 250 which I have owned since March now.

There is no other hot hatch in the 182's price range that
  • Handles (Especially with the cup package)
  • Is relatively new
  • Accelertaes (I used to Gtech 6.7 0-62 in mine with an Intake and a Milltek Exhaust)
  • Has Xenon headlights
  • Leather
  • ESP
  • Climate control
  • Auto Wipers/Lights
  • Cooled Glovebox

This info is all you need to know. Look for a 182 Cup, and you won't regret it. MOTOR BFYB winner, Evo's quoted "Best Hot hatch in the world".
182 Cup. No question in it. Sadly at the moment they are a little sought after and some guys on OzRenaultsport are experiencing difficulty in finding a good one .

Anyway, you will need to jump onto www. ozrenaultsport. com and join the forum (AussieFrogs is for guys in tartan shorts, socks, sandles and grey beards who take their thermos to French car days and picnic next to their Citroen), Ozrenaultsport is the premier Renaultsport Resource in Australia, we're a good bunch, and will help you out in your search. No Renaultsport vehicle for sale in australia Sells without the knowledge and scrutiny of the Ozrenaultsport Forum first, and generally soneone on the forum knows the history of any car currently for sale, such is the tightly knit community there.

Anyway, join up there, and ask away. The guys will be happy to help you search for a good one, and give you plenty of advice.

-Dan
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #36
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Spend $1500 on importing a FS-ZE 2L engine and ECU from NZ, which bolts up to the same gearbox, clutch and engine ancilliaries and you've got yourself something that makes 122KW power at 7200 RPM up from 90 odd the hopeless 2.0 FS-DE makes in the AUDM SP20.

Good money after bad?

Just buy a proper hot hatch in the first place..

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #37
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
^^ This hands down, and nothing else....

Bang^

Cheech, I will PM you some Info.

Lucky I found this thread, I am the only one qualified to answer your question, as I am a true Hot Hatchy, speak from invaluable experience (invaluable to you in this situation anyway :P) and I am Always right.

I owned a 182 Cup Clio from brand new for 4 years. The very best car I ever owned, and I loved it dearly. The only car that made me swap it over was its big bro, the Megane 250 which I have owned since March now.

There is no other hot hatch in the 182's price range that
  • Handles (Especially with the cup package)
  • Is relatively new
  • Accelertaes (I used to Gtech 6.7 0-62 in mine with an Intake and a Milltek Exhaust)
  • Has Xenon headlights
  • Leather
  • ESP
  • Climate control
  • Auto Wipers/Lights
  • Cooled Glovebox
This info is all you need to know. Look for a 182 Cup, and you won't regret it. MOTOR BFYB winner, Evo's quoted "Best Hot hatch in the world".
182 Cup. No question in it. Sadly at the moment they are a little sought after and some guys on OzRenaultsport are experiencing difficulty in finding a good one .

Anyway, you will need to jump onto www. ozrenaultsport. com and join the forum (AussieFrogs is for guys in tartan shorts, socks, sandles and grey beards who take their thermos to French car days and picnic next to their Citroen), Ozrenaultsport is the premier Renaultsport Resource in Australia, we're a good bunch, and will help you out in your search. No Renaultsport vehicle for sale in australia Sells without the knowledge and scrutiny of the Ozrenaultsport Forum first, and generally soneone on the forum knows the history of any car currently for sale, such is the tightly knit community there.

Anyway, join up there, and ask away. The guys will be happy to help you search for a good one, and give you plenty of advice.

-Dan
Bah, Pug 180 > Cup 182.

Damn Renault owners
Old 13-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #38
RAPID_BA
Banned

If you can grab a polo gti in this price range its really hitting a home run.

Late model car, tough as nails drivetrain (the 1.8L turbo has been used in many Audi/VW variants for over 10 years) and good build quality.

Nothing comes close.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #39
Cheech
HELL YES

Had a drive of a Polo GTI - it's off the list now.

To sterile for my liking. Just didn't have that grin on your face feeling when driving it.

Pug GTI 180's seem to be a few thousand cheaper than the Clio Sport 182 in comparable years/klms. Will try to line up back to back drives of these. Choice seems to be good looking and fast VS almost ugly & faster (IMO)

Cooper S's seem still quite expensive for a low k model.

Old 13-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #40
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Had a drive of a Polo GTI - it's off the list now.

To sterile for my liking. Just didn't have that grin on your face feeling when driving it.

Pug GTI 180's seem to be a few thousand cheaper than the Clio Sport 182 in comparable years/klms. Will try to line up back to back drives of these. Choice seems to be good looking and fast VS almost ugly & faster (IMO)

Cooper S's seem still quite expensive for a low k model.
as little as a APR tune and its a different animal. Trust me on the PUG.. big $$$ maintenence. (cam gears, water pump, pulleys) then the dodgy electrics
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #41
sysh
A few screw loose

.. the Proton Satria GTI is quite a decent hot hatch. Most of the stuff are from Mitsubishi anyway, plus it's rather easy to source a 4G63T into it for the extra horses
sysh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #42
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
If you can grab a polo gti in this price range its really hitting a home run.

Late model car, tough as nails drivetrain (the 1.8L turbo has been used in many Audi/VW variants for over 10 years) and good build quality.

Nothing comes close.
Wrong.

May I ask what experience you have with hot hatches? Like I said I am always right :P

When I bought my 182 cup in 2006, I made sure I drove the Polo GTI, there was no comparison. Even when my mate put an APR tune on his polo GTI, it just turned into a straight line beast, and the 182 still tore it a new bumhole when it was shown a corner. Granted, build quality and interior is a tad nicer than tha Clio sport, but the Polo GTI is not a fun hot hatch. It is a nameplate which garners recognition from those who put let a badge stand in the way of them and a cracking good vehicle.

The 182 is well known to be one of the best hot hatches ever made. And it damn well is.

The GTi 180 Pug, is a good car, but not a patch on the 182, and worldwide reviews point this out.
Old 13-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #43
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think Danny is right. The amout of great reviews you see about the Clio Cup and its bigger brother the Megane Cup cant be wrong, but i don't think the build quality was all that crash hot. I'm always a strong believer that the guys at 5th Gear do the best car reviews particularly with hot hatches as they know how to drive them properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4-PI_rES6k&feature=fvwrel

This video gives you an idea who it stacks up against a EP3 Type R.
Not bad considering you will be paying double the price for an EP3.

But still the older Clio isn't my cup of tea and finding one for sale can also prove to be a challenge.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #44
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR5 Turbo from an auction if your lucky
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #45
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVGT500
XR5 Turbo from an auction if your lucky
Again,

Even if you do, your looking at pretty much the same performance as a 182 cup, in a heavier softer car (like a Golf GTI) with no cruise control or xenon headlights, and does an xr5 get a 8.5l/100 fuel consumption figure when you really get up it?

Lockie OC, the Ep3 and the 182 were very close rivals. If you want an EP3 here in Oz it's a grey import unfortunately which I wouldn't go for.

The newer shape Type R Civic is irrelevant. Slow, pushes wide around corners, and looks like arzse. My sister has one, and I do not care for it at all.
Old 14-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #46
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysh
.. the Proton Satria GTI is quite a decent hot hatch. Most of the stuff are from Mitsubishi anyway, plus it's rather easy to source a 4G63T into it for the extra horses

Not a hot hatch.

Hatch with a bodykit.

-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 14-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #47
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats correct about the civic Type R Top Gear compared the old and new one and the older one is in fact quicker around the track
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #48
Cheech
HELL YES

I'm not after straight line speed. Even a tuned Polo GTI will feel slow in a straight line compared to the XR in my sig.

Looking for the fun factor. A combination of speed, handling and wolf in sheeps clothing. The french do have this combination close to perfect.
If only they released the V6 Clio out here ! Totally impractible, but what a car !

Old 14-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #49
Danny
GT4.

Love the Clio V6. Such an amazing car. Currently there are 4 that have been imported in Oz. Two blue PhII ones (one of which is owned by my Renault Mechanic in Ringwood), and two PhI Silver ones (one owned by one of my mates Dads, the other owned by a guy who races it).

There was one for sale some time ago but the British expat who imported it got a little carried away on price and asked $90k for it initially.

Actually, come to think of it, there is a fifth one in Arctic Blue currently for sale in a certain syd-a-knee prestige dealer. They're asking a little more than $10k though :
Old 14-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #50
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Again,

Lockie OC, the Ep3 and the 182 were very close rivals. If you want an EP3 here in Oz it's a grey import unfortunately which I wouldn't go for.

The newer shape Type R Civic is irrelevant. Slow, pushes wide around corners, and looks like arzse. My sister has one, and I do not care for it at all.
Yeah i cant bring myself to trust a grey import. Ive heard people say that the new Type R has lost the fineness of its predecessor, the new Clio Cup on the other hand...
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #51
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
as little as a APR tune and its a different animal. Trust me on the PUG.. big $$$ maintenence. (cam gears, water pump, pulleys) then the dodgy electrics
Really? God you know so little about things.

So far on my pug I've had to do tyres and brakes and both were significantly cheaper than I'd expected. Servicing is the same.
Old 14-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #52
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

I had a 205 GTI about 10 years ago, , and should have NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER sold it...........................

If you can get a very good one for under 10k, , go for it !

Love the red carpet !

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #53
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Again,

Even if you do, your looking at pretty much the same performance as a 182 cup, in a heavier softer car (like a Golf GTI) with no cruise control or xenon headlights, and does an xr5 get a 8.5l/100 fuel consumption figure when you really get up it?
i got 9.4 on a 3300km trip over the last few weeks is that good enough . Im usually at 11.
No hope you would get a decent 5 in that price range, it would be munted.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #54
bingoTE50
Steve

Why don't you spend some money on the FG and make it handle. Bigger swaybars, bilstein shocks , nonthalane bushes . Get it set up with bigger rubber. More fun than a hatch surely.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #55
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
Why don't you spend some money on the FG and make it handle. Bigger swaybars, bilstein shocks , nonthalane bushes . Get it set up with bigger rubber. More fun than a hatch surely.
Not a hope you'd ever get a falcon to handle anywhere near as well as either the pug or the Clio.

Just won't happen.
Old 15-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #56
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50

Ladies and gentlemen can I hear a very big L O L ? ?

You either live in the country where 4x4s and Utes rule, or have been living under a rock these past 15 years....

I am lucky enough to have the two Utes below and one frenchie hot hatch. Guess which one is most fun... Give you a hint, it's not Australian. If you haven't ever been in a true drivers hot hatch, you wouldn't know. If you knew your cars, you probably wouldn't have made that comment. No family sedan is going to be as chuckable as a 2 door short wheelbase lightweight hatch with a big 2.0 shoehorned into it.

RG Is dead spot on. Unless straight line grunt an little else is your thing, a hot hatch like the Ilk of Renaultsport is the way to go for white knuckle thrills.

Last edited by Danny; 15-10-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 15-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #57
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen can I hear a very big L O L ? ?

You either live in the country where 4x4s and Utes rule, or have been living under a rock these past 15 years....

I am lucky enough to have the two Utes below and one frenchie hot hatch. Guess which one is most fun... Give you a hint, it's not Australian. If you haven't ever been in a true drivers hot hatch, you wouldn't know. If you knew your cars, you probably wouldn't have made that comment. No family sedan is going to be as chuckable as a 2 door short wheelbase lightweight hatch with a big 2.0 shoehorned into it.

RG Is dead spot on. Unless straight line grunt an little else is your thing, a hot hatch like the Ilk of Renaultsport is the way to go for white knuckle thrills.

lol

nah mate, aussie cars are the besterest and funnerest, nothing beats them, specially a poofy wrong wheel drive

-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 15-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #58
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
lol

nah mate, aussie cars are the besterest and funnerest, nothing beats them, specially a poofy wrong wheel drive
This is definitely sig worthy.
Old 15-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #59
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Good money after bad?

Just buy a proper hot hatch in the first place..
They're not bad, there is a LOT of aftermarket gear for the cars, particularily from America.

I guess its not the best thing to do if you want to get a car and just drive it.

Quote:
This, it also has a habit of smashing 3rd gear, stripping the teeth and destroying the syncro on it, they don't stand up to driving it like it should be driven.

Its also a lot heavier than the EP3.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 15-10-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #60
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

double post
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post