Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #61
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Uncomfortably accurate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
Brazen - if you want a diesel ute, buy a ranger!! why does everyone continually carry on like the falcon has to be this 'one car fits all' model.
Here's the deal and why Ford chose EcoLPI and Ecoboost:
If Ford did put the V6 diesel in Falcon, achieved 6.8 l/100 klm and all the I-6 buyers switched, that would be a disaster.
Now the knee jerk response would be"WTF? a 6.8 l/100 km Falcon has to be great for business" but perhaps not so.....
Ford's goal has to be adding products, not to replace them and cause the I-6 to become redundant, not yet anyway.....

That's why I understand Ford punting for EcoLPI and Ecoboost 2.0, they both add to production, not replace I-6 petrol.

It's just so alluring to see something like Jaguar XF with a version of T6's 2.2
diesel and stop start getting 5.5 l/100 km and know FoA could do that too...

Last edited by jpd80; 16-10-2011 at 10:49 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #62
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Here's the deal and why Ford chose EcoLPI and Ecoboost:
If Ford did put the V6 diesel in Falcon, achieved 6.8 l/100 klm and all the I-6 buyers switched, that would be a disaster.
Now the knee jerk response would be"WTF? a 6.8 l/100 km Falcon has to be great for business" but perhaps not so.....
Ford's goal has to be adding products, not to replace them and cause the I-6 to become redundant, not yet anyway.....

That's why I understand Ford punting for EcoLPI and Ecoboost 2.0, they both add to production, not replace I-6 petrol.

It's just so alluring to see something like Jaguar XF with a version of T6's 2.2
diesel and stop start getting 5.5 l/100 km and know FoA could do that too...
So...they'd rather let the model possibly fold rather than embrace what Europe has know for years and go diesel with amazing economy in large cars? Hell, dump the I6 and chuck in the Jag Turbo diesel V6 and be done with it...that, combined with the 4 cylinder Falcon would give them an amazing marketing advantage over the Commodore.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #63
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
agreed. lpg is pretty much guaranteed sales, and a 4cyl will help meet many more fleet company criteria.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #64
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
So...they'd rather let the model possibly fold rather than embrace what Europe has know for years and go diesel with amazing economy in large cars? Hell, dump the I6 and chuck in the Jag Turbo diesel V6 and be done with it...that, combined with the 4 cylinder Falcon would give them an amazing marketing advantage over the Commodore.
Strategy and Planning for the future.
There's a lot of games going on at the moment and FoA needs to justify another RWD Falcon
by demonstrating volume in its business plan, Diesel in Territory, EcoLPI and Ecoboost in Falcon
drought proof the Falcon against high fuel prices. Let's see how EcoLPI and Ecoboost go,
their introduction in Falcon has been heavily funded by the government, Who's to say Ford
doesn't have a plan for a future Falcon to have a diesel option but is smart enough to know
that the government may fund that too...
Old 17-10-2011, 01:36 AM   #65
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it`s hard to say, some people don`t like diesel characteristics, for a car i`d rather have petrol or lpg model any day, especially with the eco lpi falcon.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #66
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
it`s hard to say, some people don`t like diesel characteristics, for a car i`d rather have petrol or lpg model any day, especially with the eco lpi falcon.
While that's true, Ford also has the Ecoboost I-4 engine there and will get impressive fuel economy
whilst giving superior horsepower to a diesel I-4, at least 40 Kw extra at the top end makes a huge difference.

I guess the point is to grow the potential number of Falcon buyers while offering strategies that
give good fuel economy while keeping all the ease of performance Falcon is known for.

Ford has EcoLPI and Ecoboost as guaranteed starters, they both work and it's how buyers accept them
that will govern Ford's future strategies, it's good to know that diesels are close by if needed....
Old 17-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #67
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
The key to getting the best from Diesel engines is gear ratio's and transmission set-ups, get that right and they can be good, get it wrong and it will feel like a lazy dog.
AMGC63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #68
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGC63
The key to getting the best from Diesel engines is gear ratio's and transmission set-ups, get that right and they can be good, get it wrong and it will feel like a lazy dog.
Same with anything really
Go get a late model high tech 4 banger , go wack it in a heavy as XB with a 3speed box running 2.92 diff gears , see how it goes then
Or maybe in an old HT holden with a 2 speed powerglide running 2.78 diff

The newer cars have the massive advancement of 5 /6 speed boxes to take advantage of the power/torque bands
To say the larger engines are no good with technology thrown at them
Anyone complain about the new XR6T or typoons power
Prooves without a doubt that larger engines with multicam and turbos can really motor along
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #69
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
They say the older generation Hilux is unbreakable, but my friends have been reluctant to take me up on my offer of breaking theirs for them.
The neighbour has a mid 90s hilux diesel
Bought new,has over 800,000Ks on it , never been unregoed,still drivin everyday
The only thing that has been replaced was the gearbox ,5th gear was playing up and poppin out,and that was only recently
(Thats what hapens when ya tow too much wieght in 5 th gear)
Everything else mechanically has been on since new
It only had the factory battery replaced within the last 12 months

Id think after that many Ks and the little anything was replaced , you have to say its near unbreakable

Given it to a ratbag to flog the ring outta in the back paddock,doesnt mean it is or isnt unbreakable
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post