Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 14-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
Wink

Default Unsprung weight

Has anyone really tryed much for the E-series falcons to try an eliminate unsprung weight?

At the moment, lightest rims I have are the EL XR rims, 18kg with a street tyre, B-series to FG steel rims are 21kg with a street tyre.

Any tips on suspension work to help promote quicker times?

I ran with the 21kg rims, making 42kg of unsprung weight by rims an I couldn't get anywhere close to my usual 2second flat 60ft time. instead i was doing 2.2-2.3.

Any tips? thanks

Wink is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
xt3valve
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Unsprung weight

Light weight alloy wheels with some street radial tyres (Micky Thompson/Hoosier) will help.

And 90/10 shocks will also help.

Plus a turbo or supercharger are a handy addition to lower your times also.
Gearbox: Fully rebuilt BTR 4sp, Chryogenicaly treated, high stall
490rwhp E85
xt3valve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2011, 02:47 AM   #3
Wink

I am on P plates at the moment man. Trying to keep it sort of legal. 14.301 is the best at the moment. Doing another rebuild in 2 weeks, more head work an a cam, hopefully pull me into a 14 flat. See what happens I suppose. Just trying to reduce weight, seen a lot of aftermarket light weight components for other cars, why not the e-series!
Old 15-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

Try a multi fit skyline wheel from the wreckers make sure the hub hole fits other wise you might need to get it honed out 1mm
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

throw front sway bar in bin......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
prasac
Banned

they reckon for every 1lb of unsprung weight u remove, it is like taking 8lbs off the body.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

I wish I had unsprung weight. I would lose 1lb and fit my Jeans lol.
Old 17-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

yeah give the skyline rims a go...

Last edited by Road Games; 17-10-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
I wish I had unsprung weight. I would lose 1lb and fit my Jeans lol.
i gotta run 8lb tyre liners in the 10.5W's, now i have to lose an extra 64lbs off me and the car

also Matt, nice meeting u the other day and thanks for helping save my hand watched ya run, shame about the red-light, she musta hooked up well when u didn't want her to
Old 17-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Poped another cherry not many of those left in western Sydney lmao. Yeah she hooked up best she did all day I did the same routine as I did all day so I was like aw WTF. Plus the other racer broke out by over 1 second so she would handed me the win.

But i suspect she was going to use me a guide and just stick her nose in front if I hadnt red lighted all the fun and games.

Yeah was good to meet to you and your bro. Ill get a win one day haha heres hoping. Catch you at the track next round! If you got any tips for hooking up feel free to share.

What I did was cut the bump stops down by 1 noob each. Dropped tyre pressure to 24 and for the last 2 runs I had to run a full tank of gas. I never use to have this problem must be the baby seat throwing out the balance haha.

Its going to be tuff for you to lose 64lbs there is nothing of you damn bean stalk.
Old 17-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #11
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Poped another cherry not many of those left in western Sydney lmao. Yeah she hooked up best she did all day I did the same routine as I did all day so I was like aw WTF. Plus the other racer broke out by over 1 second so she would handed me the win.

But i suspect she was going to use me a guide and just stick her nose in front if I hadnt red lighted all the fun and games.

Yeah was good to meet to you and your bro. Ill get a win one day haha heres hoping. Catch you at the track next round! If you got any tips for hooking up feel free to share.

What I did was cut the bump stops down by 1 noob each. Dropped tyre pressure to 24 and for the last 2 runs I had to run a full tank of gas. I never use to have this problem must be the baby seat throwing out the balance haha.

Its going to be tuff for you to lose 64lbs there is nothing of you damn bean stalk.
flattery will get u everywhere. if i was 6'7'' or however tall u are the 135kg i am would be spread ok, but 6'2'' and 300lbs not so much

we had pretty good traction, bit over 60' the car was on full boost 30psi, ran a decent 1.30 60' best ever is a 1.28'. throw the baby seat in the boot next time bit more weight over the tyres
Old 17-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been searching for lighweight wheel nuts and studs I just keep turning up damn skyline nuts and studs. Anyone got any links.

Haha I also had a couple buckets of hot chips and a couple of cokes that should limited the wheel spin.
Old 17-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #13
Wink

How do you guys get a good 60"? The best I have ever done is a 2second flat on 245 wide federal 595's an 24psi on a 16inch xr rims. I keep revs at around 2800-3000 depending on conditions to limit wheel spin an bogging down an dump clutch to launch.

I am trying to save weight or buy lighter weight parts, I require front sway bar unfortunately.

I could never find any actual real conversion on how much unsprung weight vs sprung weight. Is there an actual conversion or diagram at all? or just word of mouth?
Old 17-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #14
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

I just went out and weighed my wheel/tire combo for drags and its 24kg. That's a widened steel rim 15x8's and with Mickey T 255's on them.

How do I get a good 60"? I don't, lol Im in the 2.1 and 2.2's
Old 18-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #15
prasac
Banned

they are heavy cars. takes alot of torque/horsepower to move them off the line. u need rpm, boost etc to get u going. u also don't want to overpower the tyres and u spin or launch with too little and u bog down.
Old 18-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #16
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink
How do you guys get a good 60"? The best I have ever done is a 2second flat on 245 wide federal 595's an 24psi on a 16inch xr rims. I keep revs at around 2800-3000 depending on conditions to limit wheel spin an bogging down an dump clutch to launch.

I am trying to save weight or buy lighter weight parts, I require front sway bar unfortunately.

I could never find any actual real conversion on how much unsprung weight vs sprung weight. Is there an actual conversion or diagram at all? or just word of mouth?
Make sure you use same Dia wheels on the front with a smaller tyre you want the weight to transfer from the front to rear.

Don't dump the clutch at launch its a good way to brake things. Better off slipping out the clutch while feeding in power. It will cause excessive heat in the clutch so you will need to give it time to cool down before next run.
Old 18-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #17
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

Yeah in the end they are heavy, mines 1610kg with me in it and it's a lightweight spec ED. No stereo, no sound deadner, ac, heater etc etc.
Old 18-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #18
Wink

I have trouble trying to ride the clutch off the line, every time I try, I freak out bogged down too much, get the ***** an kick the clutch to get going again.

I have had bad axle tramp before an nothing has broken yet. Tramp was that bad was flickering the brake lights on, loosened my tailshaft bolts an unwound the right rear cross member bolt.

P plate rules man, I can't have forced induction as a daily. So trying to have a mixture of a drag/daily reliable an streetable car.
Old 18-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #19
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

Whats actually been done to the car in terms of engine and suspension?

Is it running a 3.45 diff gears? And how much weight can you take out without missing thing you like?
Old 19-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #20
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still trying to find lightweight wheel nuts and studs does the BA use 1/2 or 7/16. I have feeling 1/2 but I am sure I just fitted 7/16 nuts on the weekend.

Also try removing the bumper stoppers for the strip would be good idea to replace them for the road if your going ot have some fat mates in the backseat etc. You could also relocate the battery to the spare wheel well.
Old 19-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #21
Wink

I am getting a lot of weight transfer to the rear. I can see in photos my front is lifting up massively.

Engine is only mild GLi engine in my el xr6.
I removed the engine, re-sealed it an new bearings. Though I failed at the sump sealing.
Powerbond balancer, tells me the degree's. New dizzy an coil, head has been shaved an ported, not knowing compression or specs. K&N filter, Pacemaker extractors, 100cpsi ballastic cat, 2.5 mandrel, with one tiny resonator only. Diff is 3.45. My dizzy is also at 30 degrees advanced.

Engine is coming out next week, so I will be getting more porting done, working out my compression ratio an more then likely increasing it. Wade 1673 cam, play with timing to get it right.

Gearbox is just plain ****. No sycro's so it is difficult to select gears. Getting another hopefully while the rebuild is happening again.

Also I am going to put an alloy tailshaft in it instead of the steel one that is currently in it. Should reduce more unsprung weight. I can't find any carbon fibre re-inforced tailshafts anymore :(
Old 19-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #22
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

90 10 shocks might help.