Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Default Quik Grip Spray adhesive stained my Hood Lining while I was repairing it

I guess this thread should be in the "trim" section but I could not find many threads in that forum so I thought more would see it here.

Anyway my BA xr6t's hood lining is coming away and starting to hang down at the top of the windscreen so i tried to repair it with some Quik Grip spray adhesive, it more or less worked but has stained the hood lining in spots and looks terrible, any tips as to what I can do, what have others done to repair their hood lining?

Last edited by muso; 20-08-2012 at 07:38 PM.
muso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Quik Grip Spray adhesive stained my Hood Lining while I was repairing it

basicly live with it or get a new one theres not much else you can do

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Default Re: Quik Grip Spray adhesive stained my Hood Lining while I was repairing it

Basically whats happened is you sprayed it too heavy in those spots. Whilst the material was never meant to be repaired this way, courtesy of the foam backing.

Just rip out the old one, clean the board with a wire brush & put a new one in. Its easy enough to remove the board out of the car, just be sure to bend it as little as possible.

EDIT: I personally wouldnt recommend Quik Grip in future, I found it to be useless. If you must use contact-in-a-can, go with 3M Super74.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

There's a million solutions that I've heard for a sagging hood lining ... the only one that I've seen work is fitting a new one
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

you can buy the fabric with foam already attached so there will be no need to glue it next time
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
GTP 290

Seems like a sticky situation....
GTP 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 290
Seems like a sticky situation....
Lol this forums needs a like button
Old 30-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
GTP 290

This thread needs moar puns but I guess I've already stained it with my low brow humour
GTP 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #9
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Thanks for your replies guys and yes I agree...I've been caught in a 'sticky situation' and a new hood lining is in order, perhaps I will get a trimmer to fit it!
Old 31-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta God
There's a million solutions that I've heard for a sagging hood lining ... the only one that I've seen work is fitting a new one
Staple gun works well too - just doesn't look great.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Once they start to sag its game over unfortunately. The fact that you are annoyed with the stain says you like the interior to be tidy. You will need a new one. A trimmer should be around $150 fitted or knock a few bucks off if you want to do the dismantle and refit yourself.
A saggy roof lining also makes the car unroadworthy and can land you a fine if your unfortunate enough to be pulled up.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Staple gun works well too - just doesn't look great.
Yep does a great job on my commodore
Old 31-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #13
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Cheers guys a new one is the go I think
Old 31-10-2011, 11:54 PM   #14
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
Once they start to sag its game over unfortunately. The fact that you are annoyed with the stain says you like the interior to be tidy. You will need a new one. A trimmer should be around $150 fitted or knock a few bucks off if you want to do the dismantle and refit yourself.
Being a Trimmer yourself helps but seriously its not a hard job, and its easy to get it looking good. $40 in material $20MAX in adhesive and its done for half of what a trimmer usually charges.

Heres a tip too, get the material that doesnt have the foam backing, use the felt-like material. However, if you must use foam backed stuff, be sure to peel off the white-netting looking stuff first. (sorry for all my technical terms )
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Being a Trimmer yourself helps but seriously its not a hard job, and its easy to get it looking good. $40 in material $20MAX in adhesive and its done for half of what a trimmer usually charges.

Heres a tip too, get the material that doesnt have the foam backing, use the felt-like material. However, if you must use foam backed stuff, be sure to peel off the white-netting looking stuff first. (sorry for all my technical terms )
Thanks Scotty, it has only started at the windscreen, but I guess that's where they always do start (beginning of the end) When you say $40 in material and $20 max for adhesive what products are you talking about, where can you get the material to re-do the hood lining and what adhesive and where do i get that?

Doing lower control joints at the moment so it's a thing to do in a few weeks.