Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-11-2005, 06:49 PM   #31
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One boat has impressed me more than any other and that's the Duggan Balancing boat. It's a race boat that runs in 6 litre displacement. It revs that hard it sounds like a 4 cylinder.

http://ozsport.com.au/osc/index.php?cPath=1_2_51
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 07:51 PM   #32
Oz Dude

Those 6 litre motors with 8 into 1 pipes really do scream don't they!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 08:01 PM   #33
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Dude
Those 6 litre motors with 8 into 1 pipes really do scream don't they!
The best sounding boat is Lenny's woody: "Cinders", 358 NASCAR Cleveland @ 8000 rpm... Sweet music!
Ive had a run in a super class boat, its awesome, you can't appreciate how fast 120 MPH is on water till you take a trip up ther murray in a super class boat.
Ive skie'd behind a couple of quick 6L social class boats, its bloody awesome!

Old 05-11-2005, 08:35 PM   #34
Oz Dude

I've been @ 80mph in my boat and that's just plain cool. 120 would be awesome...
Old 06-11-2005, 02:39 AM   #35
Thornie
Off smelting

dunno if anyone has posted about this yet but the guy that had that motor built ran it on the weekend at murray bridge a bloke from work was saying and he keeps up with the bigboys as the boat is built differnt then others
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 07:30 PM   #36
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
you can't appreciate how fast 120 MPH is on water till you take a trip up ther murray in a super class boat.
A bloke I went to school with came off at over 100mph... I don't recommend anybody tries it.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 08:01 PM   #37
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
A bloke I went to school with came off at over 100mph... I don't recommend anybody tries it.
Ive come off at about 70 plenty of times, its not much fun peeling you eylids out of their sockets after cartwheeling 5 or so times across the water...

Old 06-11-2005, 08:07 PM   #38
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

He tore nerves in his shoulder, now has very limited use of one arm.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:16 PM   #39
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Southern 80 & Twin Turbo's?... Anyone remember "God's Gift"? I think won 2 or 3 times? 500+ cubes TT'd, and absolutely awesome
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 08:21 PM   #40
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Can't find a pic... but found this (google)... With all the corners... how's their average speed??
"God's Gift shot to glory when it won the Blitz and broke the record in 1995 only to see the record broken again by Gotta be Crazy in 1996 with a time of 32:33.

Not to be outdone, the God's Gift team snared the elusive double in 1998, with an average speed of 168.35kmh, this time taking out the Blitz with a time of 7:08 and smashing the record for the Southern 80 with a time of 32:02 to take out not only the Leigh Johnson Memorial Trophy but also the jackpotted American Hotel record breakers cheque again, this time for $3000"
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
Old 06-11-2005, 08:27 PM   #41
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

hey guys this was from melb car cruise registry

this is only single turbo, but is from a mazda rotary

http://forums.melbccr.com/showthread...highlight=boat

does come with movies which should be watched

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 10:55 PM   #42
AGRO
KB TECH SUPPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Southern 80 & Twin Turbo's?... Anyone remember "God's Gift"? I think won 2 or 3 times? 500+ cubes TT'd, and absolutely awesome
Yeh...that boat was an absolute beast.
Was talking to the owner 1 year, so was close to the boat. The engine sat so high. They were one of the first to introduce a twin turbo big block. That thing just reved like no tomorrow. The last I heard was it sank a few years ago in a high speed testing sesion. I think I heard that the prop came off, or shaft broke....something like that anyway. If I've got it wrong, somebody correct me!
I remember one year from the banks of the Murray, about 10min from the start line, it cruized past as it had blown an intake pipe off one of the turbo's or something, and it still flew past about 60-70mph, not too far off idle it seemed. Just an animal.......

AGRO.
AGRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 11:14 PM   #43
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I heard some rich Jap bought it & took it overseas ($100,000+ pricetag) only to be re-purchased at a fraction of the price & brought back here a yr or so later...
After that, well AGRO.. you could be correct?
Speaking of "AGRO"... wasn't there also a big gun southern 80 boat called that??
Old 07-11-2005, 12:16 AM   #44
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGRO
Was talking to the owner 1 year, so was close to the boat. The engine sat so high. They were one of the first to introduce a twin turbo big block. That thing just reved like no tomorrow. The last I heard was it sank a few years ago in a high speed testing sesion. I think I heard that the prop came off, or shaft broke....something like that anyway. If I've got it wrong, somebody correct me!
I remember one year from the banks of the Murray, about 10min from the start line, it cruized past as it had blown an intake pipe off one of the turbo's or something, and it still flew past about 60-70mph, not too far off idle it seemed. Just an animal.......

AGRO.
"GODS GIFT" was retired and cut in half down the middle after the accident and half of it is now on the wall of the American hotel in Echuca, the 500 CI twin turbo Rodec motor was sold of and is now running in a boat called "GODS RIVAL".

Old 07-11-2005, 12:19 AM   #45
Firefox7
T3 Terrorist

Quote:
"GODS GIFT" was retired and cut in half down the middle after the accident and half of it is now on the wall of the American hotel in Echuca, the 500 CI twin turbo Rodec motor was sold of and is now running in a boat called "GODS RIVAL".

She sure was a nice boat...I remember her well....got a complete article on her in a mag....it's a damn shame.

Cheers.
Fastest Lap time At wakefield park on Dunlop Sp9000's : 1:14:30, Came 2nd in outright driver, in the overall V8 result, 2006 N.S.W dutton rally :1syellow1

:king: T3 :king: The Mightiest & Deadliest Tickford Ever To Hit The Road........
Firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 12:26 AM   #46
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox7
She sure was a nice boat...I remember her well....got a complete article on her in a mag....it's a damn shame.

Cheers.
Yep it was a great boat, a pioneer really, one of the first of the real serious twin turbo Big blocks.
It dominated the river races because of the monstor torque it made and how quick it was "point to point" on the tight murray.
Graham Ritchie got bad eye damage from the accident and was told to give the game away for safety reasons hence why the boat was retired.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:52 AM   #47
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Cheeze that river boat went past fairly quick in video!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 07:05 PM   #48
Matt_971
Regular Bum

That rotary boat was in Southern 80 this year. Broke down i beleive. A guy i work with skiis in all the events. Dunno what boat havent asked lol. But yeah he has heard rumors about this TT Nissan V8. Hasnt seen it himself yet.

That rotary sounds nice. DAMN it is revving.

LOVE the southern 80. Havent been to any other races might have to make an effort this year lol.

Cheers
Matt
Matt_971 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 10:58 PM   #49
RACINGdork
bf xr6t + 351 xe esp weee

the the rotor!

rohan ambrose worked on my rx7 before i sold it.

anyway the only clevo powered jetsprint boat in oz that i know of........

RACINGdork is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 12:20 AM   #50
AGRO
KB TECH SUPPORT

Quote:
Ah yes.....you are correct, I remember now!
Gods Rival just doesn't seem to have the edge like gods gift did!
Probably because there are many more engines set up like this now!

Charliewool.... yes there is a boat by the name of AGRO.
It is based in Country Vic I'm sure.
Another is named ARGO.....I keep getting them mixed up!!!

AGRO.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:47 PM   #51
Thornie
Off smelting

yep god gift got sank just off the bend from pump hill in merbein, which is just out of mildura
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 01:05 AM   #52
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

If we're going back to the dim dark past does anyone remember Island Cooler? It won the Southern 80 back in the mid-late 80s and was one of the first boats with over 1000hp if my memory is correct (supercharged big block Chev).
Old 09-11-2005, 01:14 AM   #53
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
If we're going back to the dim dark past does anyone remember Island Cooler? It won the Southern 80 back in the mid-late 80s and was one of the first boats with over 1000hp if my memory is correct (supercharged big block Chev).
Yes..Island Cooler! Awesome boat!... Another was the triple Merc outboard owned by the Refrigerated Roadways transport guy from Qld!... (dementia has got me with the name) The only part of the boat touching water was the 3 legs of the mercs.

Edit... I remember... "RING OF FIRE" was the boats name! (And I think the Roadways guy was John Cash,,, TRUE!)
Old 09-11-2005, 09:08 AM   #54
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep i remember island cooler, i think the hull is still around but its been repainted and renamed?

Old 09-11-2005, 11:30 AM   #55
AGRO
KB TECH SUPPORT

You have to admit guys, we at some time or another use to watch these ski races, and saw only single/double/triple outboards, NA Big Blocks, and the occasional blown set-up!!
If like me...the first of the twin hair dryer set-ups just took the sport by surprise, and we would be sitting there in just sheer amazment, at such a set-up!! All you wanted to do was get to the finish line and check out these new monsters. To hear one at full noise at least 15 bends before you saw it, you knew it was a big donk about to fly past. For the better part of maybe 10 seconds of viewing before it's gone, it would be all over, but just left you there with a grine on your face for hours saying to your mates....Faaaaaarrrrrrkkkkkkkk!!!!
Ahhh.......... the excitement of these great innovations is what grows these events. I love all engines, but the main reason I went to the Southern 80 was for these outragous set-ups, and the thrill of it all!!!!!!!!
I love it.

AGRO.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:03 PM   #56
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGRO

AGRO.
I seem to recall a NSW boat that I believe was twin turboed way back in what I believe was 1983. It was one of the big $ boats of the era. I recall seeing it at the Nationals at Grafton. I was skiing in under 10's back then so my memory is a bit hazy.

A wooden ski race boat called Bernadine was raced in the late 60's early 70's. It had a turbocharged red motor in it. Way ahead of it's time.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2005, 12:20 AM   #57
Oz Dude

There have definitely been some very impressive boats over the years. Charliewool - you spoke of "Ring of Fire". Another great one was "Mr Walker". I remember the first time I saw that thing - 3 Mercs no waiting. Definitely impressive.

The thing that got me this year at Grafton was that as I have been out of the race scene for a few years now, I was able to do a sort of time capsule comparison and while the max hp isn't that much more than what it used to be (in Superclass anyway), how they deliver it and the technology used has definitely gone light years ahead.

No more weekend mechanics looking after the motor at the event between rebuilds by the engine guru. No sir. This here is professional racing. The knowledge and experience standing in the carpark in about a 100sqm area at one point far outweighed ANY water-based race event I've ever been to. These boats aren't just fast, they're fast AND reliable and can replicate their motion over and over. HP wins fans, consistency wins races.

Definitely looking forward to the Hawkesbury B2B in a couple of weeks...
Old 10-11-2005, 01:18 AM   #58
Show&Tell

That is an awesome engine! I love my boats and i haven't seen anything that guttsy for a while.

And i have heard some stories about Island Cooler from boys in the Port Lincoln (SA) area that it wasnt that flash but if anyone has a photo send it to me i'm certainly interested!
Old 12-11-2005, 01:46 PM   #59
Oz Dude

Here's one of the US guys that builds for 1/4 mile, oval track, and marine:

http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/engines.php

That's a workshop I'd love to play in...