Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #31
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Default Re: AU High Beam is Better than FG High Beam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grinzy
Those Prados do have a good low beam, haven't seen the high though. An aunty and uncle of mine have a new Prado VX.
Both are my daily drives au to work , and prado for the kms , hid spotties ftw .I have a ballast playing up so had to drive home with the normal lights ...not happy ..lol but I'm just not 1 the business of driving our roads without good lights , the au beats the prado on low beam I reckon but only just , high beam would be even .
Old 15-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #32
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
Well I own an AU and an FG, and your right. The low beams are about the same but on high beam the AU's lights are way better.

The C250's Xenons are just brilliant.
Did surprise me though. Good to know from someone who owns both!
Still reckon some good spotties would be great on the AUIIs roo bar!
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #33
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grinzy
Did surprise me though. Good to know from someone who owns both!
Still reckon some good spotties would be great on the AUIIs roo bar!
LOL It'll be a cold day in hell before I bolt spotties or a roo bar on the TS..
Old 16-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #34
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
LOL It'll be a cold day in hell before I bolt spotties or a roo bar on the TS..
LOL! No I didn't mean yours!!! I mean't on our AUII Futura wagon! It already has a roo bar! Just spotties would be good!

I dont suggest you do that to the TS!
Old 16-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #35
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Forget the spotties, go buy yourself a 55w HID kit off of ebay and bang them in the driving lights and that'll be all you'll need. With a 6000k HID you'll get well over 5-600m of penetration and the verges will light up like it's christmas. I've got 55w HID's in my driving lights of the Fairlane and they are a pi$$ poor 5" diffused lenses, easily blitzed by AU falcon lights, and I get 500m penetration and flooding daylight white light to about 25m either side of the road. The only thing with HID is, because they penetrate so far, it's critical you get the alignment right or you either lose penetration and just light up the road surface or you just light up the tree tops 500m out.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #36
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3
Hi. No, the low beam on toyota's is not to bright but 9 out of 10 are set too high. Maybe people are trying to tell you something. Cheers MD
We have 11 prados and they are all exactly the same. Straight from the factory, headlights have never been touched. So I have no idea how Toyota would of got away with making cars where headlight angle did not meet the rules.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #37
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
Forget the spotties, go buy yourself a 55w HID kit off of ebay and bang them in the driving lights and that'll be all you'll need. With a 6000k HID you'll get well over 5-600m of penetration and the verges will light up like it's christmas. I've got 55w HID's in my driving lights of the Fairlane and they are a pi$$ poor 5" diffused lenses, easily blitzed by AU falcon lights, and I get 500m penetration and flooding daylight white light to about 25m either side of the road. The only thing with HID is, because they penetrate so far, it's critical you get the alignment right or you either lose penetration and just light up the road surface or you just light up the tree tops 500m out.

Bushbasher
Thanks mate! Thats awesome!
I do like spotties though... maybe I'll get both...
Old 16-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #38
Gspec ZL

I love the headlights on my AU. I particuarly like it when people flash me as if i have high beams on then Bam i flash my high beams back at them.
Gspec ZL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #39
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote mk3
While on the subject of poor headlights. Is it just me or have the EF/EL xr's have terrible low beam.
I have driven 3 different xr's now and all seem the same.

The high beam is pretty good in a straight line, but does not spread very well.

By the way, if you get a number of people flashing you with low beam on the it is more than likely just aimed too high.

Your not the only one who's noticed that... Going from the GLi front to the XR front though was a big improvement...

The crucial bit I found was perfect alignment... Mine light up the road nicely and evenly...
Old 17-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #40
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
Those huge AU headlights certainly pack a punch. i never been flashed since i sold my AU. (oncoming drivers think you are on high and flash, then you give them the full HB).
Given that most people are likely to flash because your headlights are distracting them, I don't think I'd want to be driving a car that partially blinded drivers travelling in the opposite direction.

My FG high beams are fine, not a patch on the xenons on my R32, though.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #41
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gspec ZL
I love the headlights on my AU. I particuarly like it when people flash me as if i have high beams on then Bam i flash my high beams back at them.
yep i love doing that too in mine when it happens!!! not often i get flashed but when it does i have a ball watching people get off there high horse and realise that my lights are on low beam. did have a cop flash me once, didn't know it was a cop at the time untill he hit the blue and red lights lucklly i didnt get fined!! think he might of had something more important to do
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 02:38 AM   #42
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

My AU was the goods on rural roads when I was living out in the sticks.
But i made sure I had decent lighting as well.

AU with projectors

Lightforce driving lights FTW
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #43
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
We have 11 prados and they are all exactly the same. Straight from the factory, headlights have never been touched. So I have no idea how Toyota would of got away with making cars where headlight angle did not meet the rules.
Angle is probably fine .. they probably just start from a height which is too high for a person sitting significantly lower in a sedan. If I had fitted decent lights on my old FSJ Jeep with 33's I'm sure I too would have had a lot of whining Prados owners upset my lights were too bright.

My opinion AU lights are as great as they are ugly .. and FG lights are pretty hopeless .. to the point where I drive in the country with fogs on just to give that little extra light. However they both pale into insignificance to the total mediocrity of my VY SV8 .. Horrible, horrible headlights.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #44
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Angle is probably fine .. they probably just start from a height which is too high for a person sitting significantly lower in a sedan.
and this is something i can't stand. if truck manufacturers can design and build vehicles with the headlights incorporated in the bumper then i see no reason why higher vehicles (suv/4wd) can't do the same. the height of the lights on some of these types of cars is ridiculous now. gets even worse when lift kits get added.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #45
tweeked
N/A all the way

I am amazed that Xenons have not got more regulations regarding their propensity to dazzle other road users. It is as if the are only tested stationary. The amount of times i search my rear view mirror because I think a spped camera has just gone off, but it is just a Merc with Xenons hitting a bump behind me. Then you have oncoming cars seemingly flashing their lights at you, but again it is just a bumpy road. They may work on European roads, but not here.

Anyone who has people constantly flashing them should get their lights tested/fixed for their own good, not use this as proof that their lights are good. Who in the world wants to distract others with closing speeds of 200kph?

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #46
Gspec ZL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
Anyone who has people constantly flashing them should get their lights tested/fixed for their own good, not use this as proof that their lights are good. Who in the world wants to distract others with closing speeds of 200kph?
It only happens so often but i did get them checked to be sure. They are completly legal and safe
Old 17-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #47
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They flash you because AU headlights are high glare - not sure how they ever complied with ADR.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #48
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
They flash you because AU headlights are high glare - not sure how they ever complied with ADR.
That may be so, but 4wd lights on low beam are always much more likely to dazzle you than AU ones.
Old 18-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #49
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

If your AU low beams are dazzling people then they are poorly adjusted full stop, no if, ands or buts. Go find a quiet flat, straight road somewhere and pull up. Turn on your high beams then use a jacket or rags or something to cover your low beams. Then adjust your driving lights till they are aligned straight up the road with the centre of the beams just touching the road surface at the farthest point of usable light, that is usually about 200-250m with 55w halogens, a bit further with +50's and about 400+m with a decent 100w name brand halogen globe. Your low beams will now be adjusted correctly by default as the whole headlight/driving light assembly moves as one when you twist the adjuster. Your low beam cut off line should now be on the road between 100-150m out and you'll never dazzle anyone again. If you are still dazzling people then you've probably got el cheapo globes fitted with pi$$ poor quality control that don't put the filament in the right place relative to the backing plate of the globe which hods it in place. Time to go buy decent globes. Alot of times you'll see cars with the right hand light adjusted properly but the left side still dazzling you, that is usually because the left light isn't adjusted laterally and is pointing too far right thus allowing the 45deg flare up of the left light to dazzle you instead of lighting up the verge and side of the road as it's supposed to. To adjust this , just make sure the lateral adjustment of your driving lights is correct giving you a good spread from verge to verge and again, the left light should be set correctly by default.
4WD dazzling is usually a combination of them being high on the vehicle to start with and being set on the high side of correct. Then you add a bit of weight in the back like rear seat passengers or a tool box or something and suddenly it changes the angle of the lights and they then dazzle you. Nothing $hits me more than lazy or ignorant ****** that can't be bothered to adjust their lights after they load up the vehicle by filling up the boot/tray with crap and/or hitching up a trailer or caravan.

If you haven't guessed by now, I'm a pedantic bastid about my lights and as I've got HID driving lights and they penetrate 600m or so it's even more critical to have them adjusted properly or they just light up the sky instead of the road. I've been known to just pull up on the highway in the middle of the lane and pop the bonnet to get the lights adjusted right if there's nobody coming or following me. You just need a straight flat bit of road with no street lights and you can do it in less than 30 seconds.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 18-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #50
Gspec ZL

While i totally agree with you it is an AU shopping trolley. I have 4 other cars to take up my small amounts of spare time. Cars i consider worth spending time on as well.
Old 18-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #51
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
While i totally agree with you it is an AU shopping trolley. I have 4 other cars to take up my small amounts of spare time. Cars i consider worth spending time on as well.
So which do you fall into, the first category or the second?

It only takes 30 seconds to adjust your lights properly.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 18-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #52
Gspec ZL

well i live amongst hills so i would have to drive the car to a flat. I almost never drive the car let alone at night. I also had the lights adjusted at the last service so hopefully they arent that bad. Plus i work 14 hour night shifts so i basically never see night time lol.