Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Henry Ford, Blondes and Sayings

“Whether you think you can or whether you think you can’t, you’re right.”

- Henry Ford

ANDERSON, In. January 28, 2012–Henry Ford inspired a lot of people with that quote, me included. When I heard that saying for the first time at fifteen, it opened my eyes to possibilities I hadn’t dared dream of.

A young lady lived a few doors down the street from me. She was about 23, beautiful and so sophisticated. She was also very, very hot.

Once in a while, I’d see her as she arrived home from work. She would park her car on the street and walk into her parents’ house. Whenever I saw her returning from work, I’d do my best to ride my bike near her house, always being conveniently behind her car, to get the longest-lasting view as she stepped out.

She may have known I existed (since she never ran me over), but she never, to my recollection, noticed me. Not as a person or anything like that.

Well, I heard that Henry Ford quote, it just tore me up inside. It told me, day after day, what a slacker I was. It also emboldened me. After all, if I thought I could, then, well, I could, right?

So one sunny spring afternoon, she went past me, and I rode my bike all the way to her car and waited for her to open the door. I stood there astride my 2-wheeler, shaking inside as I contemplated how beautiful she was, and remembering that only if I could think I could...

“Hi,” I said.

“Hello.” She looked calm, but a little confused. She had no idea of the power of my ideas. I introduced myself as living a couple doors down the street; then I awkwardly told her of how much I admired the Henry Ford quote.

She would have no defense. I said it: “Whether you think you can or whether you think you can’t, you’re right.”

She looked at me for a moment, taken aback by my boldness, I was sure. Then she looked at me very differently, sizing me up, from my Keds to my too-short jeans, to my T-shirt, skinny arms, scraggly hair, and glasses. And my expectant smile.

Finally, she spoke.

“Well, in your case,” she said, “you can’t.” Then she walked into the house.

Not all wise sayings apply universally.

I posted this as some members think FF has become too negative..

Last edited by csv8; 17-05-2012 at 09:47 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Henry Ford, Blondes and Sayings

It is a great saying and one of my favourites. the battle of the mind is often the hardest battle to win.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
WASP
Whipple Induced

Great story! The fear of failure stops so many of us from being successful. Backing yourself will not prevent failure, but it sure helps us to persist until successful.

My favourite HF quote for success is 'You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do'
Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kudos for trying M8 . Took a huge pair to do so . Remember fortune favours the brave .
Old 04-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha that's great! Nice try.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just looked at my desk calender today at work .. It has a Henry Ford Quote on it ...

"It is not the employer that pays the wages - he only handles the money. It is the product that pays wages."

I never thought of it that way but he is right.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Well with that YOLO craze going around...
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Finally, she spoke.

“Well, in your case,” she said, “you can’t.” Then she walked into the house.

Not all wise sayings apply universally.

I posted this as some members think FF has become too negative..
Any more photos of the girl?

Know her type, head case, age WILL weary her.

Henry hated Jews for some unknown reason?
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
Henry hated Jews for some unknown reason?
not really - he employed at least 3000 jews in the years of the dearborn independant and seemed to have some good friends who were jews
while some of his ideas seemed quite offensive, it seems he liked virtually every jew he actually met

maybe he was just very similar to the average person. most of us are racist to some extent when looking at a group of people from another nationality. however, when one person from that group is in our company we seem to except them on their personality rather than their race. the big problem in henry's case, is that he had so much more power than the rest of us. he probably should have chosen his words better, but words are just words and there were others who used more than words on the jews and other races

it seems the reason, he and others disliked the jews as a whole, was because of a perception that they would take all of the money out of their adopted country and return to palestine with it. we as a nation complain of our money going overseas don't we
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post